BC Boards

Carpet odors.....

I live in a dog house.

Considering I live in a dog house, its a good size dog house with three bedrooms.

I share this dog house with four dogs.

They are nice enough to let me have my own bed, but I have to fight for covers at night and sometimes get pushed to the edge of the bed.

I am potty trained.

Ellie is potty trained.

Pepper is potty trained.

Mattie, the puppy, is getting there.

Lucie, well she's potty trained, but she takes medication that makes her drink lots of water and pee a lot, so she's also potty pad trained. But, sometimes she doesn't always make the potty pad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the smell out of my dog house? (Other than taking up the carpet and putting in hardwood floors???)

Loved your post!

Well, I know what you are going through- multiple dogs in a house means dog smell. But, there are things you can do to cut down on this. First, make sure you wash curtains and the slip covers on your furniture (it is good to have slip covers so they CAN be removed). Wry carpeting, make sure you vacuum a LOT, and have dog beds washed regularly. It is amazing how smell collects in curtains, slip covers and of course dog beds. Make sure you use hot water and bleach on your bedding too.

It is hard to get the dog smell out, but you can reduce. Getting rid of the carpeting would be a good idea, but ensure you have area rugs to provide some traction- as slipping can be hard on dog's bodies.

Julie

Too funny. :rolleyes: Thanks for the belly laugh this morning. I would use an enzymatic cleaner (such as Petastic or Nature's Miracle) on the potty spots - to get rid of lingering odors of that nature. As Julie said, I would wash bedding and curtains (except I don't have any curtains) frequently. In addition to this, every so often I sprinkle a box of baking soda on the carpet throughout the house at lunch time. When I get home at 5pm (before I let the beasties out) I vacuum it all up. Seems to help.

It may sound like a comercial, but the Rainbow vacumms work great. I used to have asthma when I was a kid and the doctor recommended getting on of these vaccums since it sucks up all the dirt, humidity and other stuff that induces an asthma attack. Anyway, i had a french poodle that was never potty trained so he would pee all over the house and my mom would go nuts if she even got a hint of the smell (she hates dogs), so as long as there weren't any bad odors, I could keep the dog inside, so i used to vacumm the carpets with it and didn't have any odors. I also used baking soda.

Now these vacumms are really expensive, I think they go for about 1000 dlls. They have been around for a long time, so maybe there are new ones that are similar to this one and less expensive.

I too live in a dog house and have had some accidents over the years. I've tried a lot of stuff to remove odor. Just a few weeks ago, I happened to have the TV on during that pet guy program on Saturday mornings and one of the commercials was for a pet stain and odor remover. I thought I'd try it. I ordered it that day on line. I tried it. It really does work. Removed pee odor like nothing else I've tried over the years. It's called "O" something. Would I buy it again. Yep and only wish in came in gallon bottles.

No. It was only available by mail. Usually I don't fall for this stuff and figure these ads must be a bunch of bull, but the battle of the smells has become an obsession of mine and I've collected quite a arsenal of smell stoppers, but this stuff that I've ordered is the best by far.

When I get home, I'll look up the name, OR, if you want to watch that weird pet guy on Saturday mornings, that commercial is bound to come up again.

He's like the Martha Stewart of all things pets.

I did the hardwood floor thing everywhere except the bedrooms. Get yourself a Hoover or Bissel steamvac. You will be amazed at how much even the best vaccum cleaner leaves behind, no matter how much you use it (if I haven't used mine in a while, it looks like mud coming out). Use an enzymatic cleaner like previously suggested for spot stains, but also buy it in the gallon jug and add it to the normal cleaning solution when using the cleaner if you have a dog that isn't potty trained yet. Dog urine can soak through the carpet, pad and into the concrete below so it will take a few uses to get it all out.

A co-worker ordered the mega-package of Zero Odor and asked if I would buy part of it. Three of us shared the package, and all three of us love the stuff. I don't recommend it for hair spray, though. I tried that yesterday morning when I was mostly asleep!