BC Boards

Anyone have treat recipes?

Yep 'ol Black Jack's 6 month Birthday is coming up on the twenty third of this month so I wanted to make him a few home made treats. Does anyone have any that they use?

I'm wanting to throw him a party in town at the park and see if any other of the BC's he's met there would come. It would be so much fun to have a few dogs over, play some games, have some lunch and let him enjoy it. (plus maybe get him to wear a party hat) :rolleyes:

Mr. Snappy is the "Party Master" (or "Mistress", actually). She throws great B-Day bashes for her crew. I, on the other hand, usually give my dogs a fresh egg or two, take them camping and call it good. Oh well. (I do take lots of pictures, however!) I have a great recipe for dog biscuits (my dogs LOVE them), but I will have to post it later as I am supposed to be finishing up the hiking plan for a Boy Scout camp out I am leading this weekend. I will send it soon!

This is odd for my town, which is a slightly-down-on-its-luck former mill town with a strong middle class and strong new-immigrant base, not a lot of money all around. But a woman recently opened a homemade, gourmet dog treat shop here. I've been in twice, for cuiosity's sake, and it smells like HEAVEN in there.

And... I'll admit it... last time she gave me some sample treats for Buddy, and I tasted one. And it was DELICIOUS. It would make a perfect breakfast biscuit, with some nice tea. I wish I could get the recipe. However, I'm pretty sure it must include lard or butter or some other deeeelicious fat that we're supposed to avoid! :rolleyes:

I'd also love some homemade treat recipes.

Mary

This is odd for my town, which is a slightly-down-on-its-luck former mill town with a strong middle class and strong new-immigrant base, not a lot of money all around. But a woman recently opened a homemade, gourmet dog treat shop here. I've been in twice, for cuiosity's sake, and it smells like HEAVEN in there.

And... I'll admit it... last time she gave me some sample treats for Buddy, and I tasted one. And it was DELICIOUS. It would make a perfect breakfast biscuit, with some nice tea. I wish I could get the recipe. However, I'm pretty sure it must include lard or butter or some other deeeelicious fat that we're supposed to avoid! :rolleyes:

I'd also love some homemade treat recipes.

Mary

wow, lol. you made me hungry

This one's very easy:

Get some ox liver, rub with garlic and salt well. Bake it whole in oven medium heat until it's leathery hard but with a bit of give. Cut into bite size strips. It keeps quite a while to.

Have a funb day Black Jack!

I like making tuna or liver brownies. Actually, that's a lie - making them is disgusting, but feeding them to the pups is fun! I take a couple of cans of tuna or some beef/chicken liver and mix it with a couple of eggs and some whole wheat flour until it forms a sticky dough. Then I spread it on a cookie tray and bake it. I use less flour to make training treats to be cut into tiny pieces, and more flour for brownie sized squares.

I'll have to pull out my dog recipe notebook. I made myself a notebook with all kinds of recipes that people had given me or I found online. One treat that I do for the dogs that they love is called "Doggie Iced Tea". All you do is boil a large pot of water with chicken or beef bouillon, then freeze it. Give it to the dogs when frozen and they love it on hot summer days. I found it online once, but my computer crashed, so I can't remember where I found it now.

Thanks guys. I'll have to write them down so I can try them all. Keep the ideas coming. I that way I can have lots of them to give out :rolleyes:

Is there a safe way to make a sort of frosting? I wanted to put something like happy Birthday on it.

Yummy yummy treats!

I found the website of the little retail store that opened in my town:

http://www.caninesnackshack.com/index.html

See the very pretty, delicate cakes and cookies they make? It's like walking into an Italian bakery! Plus... you can order them by phone and they'll ship FedEx.

Still no recipe, though.

Mary

Try softened cream cheese for frosting. You can even add a little food coloring using powdered beets (red), powdered turmeric, (yellow), or powdered spinach (green). You can even do pastels, depending on how much you use. I also make frosted lollipops with yougurt chips. Have fun.

you can find some receipes over here..

http://kingsley.wordpress.com/tag/food/

erm.. frosting can be made with cream cheese or yogurt.

---------------------------

Cream Cheese Dog Treat Frosting

12 ounces nonfat cream cheese, room temperature

2 teaspoons honey

Directions: Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy. Frost cookies with a spatula or pipe onto cookies using a pastry bag with a fine tip

and you can use various type of stuff to colour it.

Turmeric for yellow icing

Beet powder for pink icing

Spinach powder for green icing

as mentioned by kassiesmom :rolleyes:

-------

As for the cakes..

wat type of cake are you looking for?

baked flour type ( not suitable for dogs with wheat allergies) or meaty type of cake (mainly made using barley/meat/vegetables/geletin)?

i have recipes for both types.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

I have yet to try this one. My mom sent it to me and I hear dogs LOVE it.

1 Cup All purpose flour

1 Cup Whole wheat flour

1/2 Cup Wheat germ

1/2 Cup dry nonfat milk

3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening

1 Teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 Teasoon salt

1 Egg

1/3 Cup Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Caot a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

In large bowl, combine dry ingredients and shortening, mix until crumbly. Add the egg and water and mix well.

On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smoth. Using a rolling pin, roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out using favorite cookie cutter(s) or a knife. Place on baking sheet and back for 25-30 minutes or until golden.

Remove to wire rack and cool completely.

Those sound like pretty good ones. Is that for just plain bones?

If you could PM me the recipes for both of the cakes that would be good. I don't think he has any problems with weat but I might go with the other one to be sure. That way if anyone else comes I won't have to worry about it.

Here is one I have tried and the dogs seem to like them

CHEDDAR BISCUITS

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup shredded cheese

3/4 cup milk

grated parmesan cheese for topping

.preheat oven to 375

put flours and cheese into food processor.pulse to mix.add butter and milk.mix well.turn onto floured surface and roll to1/2 inch thick.poke with fork and sprinklewith parmesan.cut into shapes with cookie cutters.place on baking sheet and cook for 15-20 mins.store in airtight container in refrigerator

obviously not good for dogs with allergies.

a great way to decorate a cake is to ice with wipped cream cheese then use pieces of dried liver treats to sprinkle or place all over it, it looks like chocolate yum!

These are the favorites here and I have yet to find another dog that doesn't like them. I don't use a cookie cutter, I just roll them out and cut into sqaures with a pizza cutter.

Peanut Butter Cookies

4 1/2 cups flour

1 1/3 cups cornmeal

6 Tablespoons peanut butter

1 cup applesauce (with one batch, I just pureed a regular raw apple)

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

Mix all dry ingredients. Add peanut butter, milk, eggs and applesauce. Mix well until dough is firm. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. While waiting, set oven at 350 degrees. Roll out dough on floured surface to a 1/4" thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutter. Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Makes approximately 4 dozen biscuits, depending on the size you cut them.

I have yet to try this one. My mom sent it to me and said her boys LOVE it.

1 Cup All purpose flour

1 Cup Whole wheat flour

1/2 Cup Wheat germ

1/2 Cup dry nonfat milk

3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening

1 Teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 Teasoon salt

1 Egg

1/3 Cup Water

Hrrmmpp.. to be honest, i have yet to come across a doggie treat recipe that require sugar or salt. As a sub for sugar, the recipe often calls for molasses or honey.

salt is never required at all.

The biscotti is really yummy and simple to make.

Recipe and pictures can be seen here

http://kingsley.wordpress.com/2006/07/08/f...talian-tribute/

I'm going to try the Peanut Butter Cookies and the cake. The cake may take a while though. (Small cooking steps :D ) Thanks for all the help guys. He'll surly have a great day with all these treat recipes :rolleyes: I'll post pictures if them when I get them done.