BC Boards

LIE DOWN MILT!

Milton obeys every command very well except for one --- lie down. First I have him sit and while he's looking straight at me I tell him to lie down. It is soo cute (but naughty too i guess) that when i tell him that he gives me the "ignore" technique and actually pretends to be occupied with looking around at other things. Then he looks back gives me a pained stare (like I'm breaking his heart or something) then ever sooooo slowly lays down. I can hardly keep my cool just wacthing the whole "act".

BCs would definatly be the Stars of Hollywood if they all turned into humans :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mydogMilton:

Milton obeys every command very well except for one --- lie down. First I have him sit and while he's looking straight at me I tell him to lie down. It is soo cute (but naughty too i guess) that when i tell him that he gives me the "ignore" technique and actually pretends to be occupied with looking around at other things. Then he looks back gives me a pained stare (like I'm breaking his heart or something) then ever sooooo slowly lays down. I can hardly keep my cool just wacthing the whole "act".

BCs would definatly be the Stars of Hollywood if they all turned into humans :rolleyes:

I've got a similar "problem" with Sheila, except her favorite way to ignore is to scratch herself. Usually it's, "Oh, did you tell me to sit? Well, I need to scratch this itch here, first. Hold on a minute. Scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, etc. Now -- what did you just tell me to do???" A great diversion, but I'm beginning to figure her out.

A great act and yes, it's hard for me to be serious when she does this and not start laughing. It's halarious!

IMM

Lol. Hannah knows "all the way down" too. However, the only time she doesnt' go all the way down is on the table in agility sometimes.

Turbo does the whole looking around, pretending to be occupied and distracted by other things before slowly laying down as well. He will also do this for sit. If dh has a treat for him, he will sit or down instantly.

Black Jack will lie down and sit on your first or second command. Sometimes if your sitting on the ground he doesn't like to sit either. You tell him "sit" and he looks at you like "you want me to do what?" He just hops from paw to paw like "ok lets go, ok lets go, ok lets go".

It hard not to laugh though. :rolleyes:

Of course Kessie will down if I want her to...it would be wrong to say she doesn't down, just like it would be wrong to say that tectonic plates don't travel all over the dang globe. They do, they just take their time. :D:rolleyes:

She has now learned the meaning of "all the way down"
Kessie knows "...heute noch" ("some time today"). :D

Zeeke pulls that stunt sometimes. We usually just roll our eyes and point and lean in and he sloowwwlllyyy inches himself towards the floor. Usually though he's a body-slammer... say down and SLAM he's on the floor. It cracks us up. :rolleyes: Zoe's more the kind to lay down - just not all the way, and continually pop back up.

My Lab mix does the same thing. I go from a sit with him too, and I say "Sit" he looks away then when he looks back at me I just give him a wide eyed, raised eyebrow look and he usually will go down, if not a growly "down" sends him down It's his one defiance streak lol because I tell him to lie down when he wants to play and I'm busy lol

Fergie was so adamant about not doing "down" that the dog trainer gave up! Said her sit and stay were so good she deserved a bye.

She will do a brief on - if I have food in my hand on the floor in front of her.

If she's bugging us in the den and we tell her to get down (from peeking up and eying whats on the coffee table or demanding more scritching), she climbs into her chair. OK, it's up instead of down, but it works,

Originally posted by IMarkMeanings:

I've got a similar "problem" with Sheila, except her favorite way to ignore is to scratch herself. Usually it's, "Oh, did you tell me to sit? Well, I need to scratch this itch here, first. Hold on a minute. Scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, etc. Now -- what did you just tell me to do???" A great diversion, but I'm beginning to figure her out.

Angel does something very similar. She will squat to pee if recalled and she needs a few more seconds.

Talk about checkmate, because what can you do about it?

Originally posted by Lunar:

Zeeke pulls that stunt sometimes. We usually just roll our eyes and point and lean in and he sloowwwlllyyy inches himself towards the floor.

Sounds like Rivens "bang" (play dead) I shoot with my fingers and say bang, and half the time she tries to pull the "beg" command instead, but then she slowly lays down, taking her time, streching out and then rolls on her side/back. LOL She did it, I mean what can I do lol

I had to reply to this thread because I have a similiar experience with my 7 mo old BC Tucker. I noticed that sometimes when I would tell him, "down" he would go down in the front while leaving his back end up in a sort of bow while the entire time giving me a look like "isn't this good enough?" I decided to turn it into a postive, and within 5 mins taught him a new trick, "bow". The funny thing is since he now associates the word "bow" with this position he hasn't tried to use it to get out of "down". BCs are so smart it just amazes me sometimes!! HAH HAH, He'll probably figure out other ways of trying to avoid commands.

Betsy

Human to Tucker and Jester

Originally posted by smileyzookie:

quote:
Originally posted by Lunar:

Zeeke pulls that stunt sometimes. We usually just roll our eyes and point and lean in and he sloowwwlllyyy inches himself towards the floor.

Sounds like Rivens "bang" (play dead) I shoot with my fingers and say bang, and half the time she tries to pull the "beg" command instead, but then she slowly lays down, taking her time, streching out and then rolls on her side/back. LOL She did it, I mean what can I do lol My lab does the exzact same thing! lmoa

This has happened many times with our dogs. What I do is to gently place them in the down position after ONE command. If they get up, I cluck my tongue and re-place. I decide how long they have to stay based on their experience level, then I release and praise them. The Borders don't need too many re-placements. I had a Bouvier that I had to re-place at least twenty times in a row...

They key is doing it without sounding or acting angry - this is just something that they HAVE to do and the more times they mess around, the more times they have to be placed down.