BC Boards

Finals + a (finally) healthy Border Collie

So, Recon's been going through heart-worm treatment the last few months. This weekend is exactly one month after her last treatment so she's fully off of the restricted activity list. We've been building up to more exercise gradually, so Recon's more in the "go go go" mode than she was.

Unfortunately, this week is finals week, so I've been studying and unable to give her the time she usually gets from me. That combined with working 20+ hours just makes it a bit crazy.

So I'm sitting here typing some stuff for a study guide and I feel Recon's cold, wet nose on my leg. So I look down, thinking "hmm, maybe she needs to go outside..." and notice that EVERY toy she has is at my feet. 7 little red petsmart tennis balls, every squeaky toy imaginable, a few chew things, and some ropes, 3 frisbees....someone's been in the toy box! Yeah. So.

I decided to take a break and play with her, poor thing. She's such a good dog.

And now I'm on here again and she's stretched out staring at me, waiting for my attention to focus fully on something else so she can calmly and quietly gather the toys and then let me know that a few hours have passed and that she would like, please and thank you, to play.

Do your pups randomly bring you toys when you're not paying attention?

That's funny. I'm glad she's doing so good. I know there were some hard times in there but I'm sure it was all worth it now.

Black Jack does that too. When I'm down stairs doing my school and not paying attention to him I'll see a wet soccer ball (or his many other toys) roll up my face. Or if I doze off and he gets tired of me not playing with the many toys he gets out he'll sit right on my face. That'll wake you up, a soft fuzzy butt square on your face :rolleyes:

all the best for your finals!!!

and yes.. kingsley does it too.. especially when i am on the pc for too long...

he'd do it subtlely first by lying at my feet..

then.. he goes and bring his toy..

and if i continue to ignore him.. he put his paw on my leg.. dig it nails in.. and make sure that i give him some attention by playing with him...

:rolleyes:

Very cute story. Great to hear Recon is back on form.

Yes, Fergus came in lasst night throwing a squished plastic milk bottle around on the slate floor - certainly got my attention!

All the best with your finals.

So glad to hear that Recon is doing well. That's so cute. Mine do that too. Only they open their mouths, jerk their head back and launch them at me...lol.

Gotta love 'em... Glad she's not the only one who will do that :rolleyes:

'bout 10 minutes ago I got up to do a check on all the various small animals. Everything was eerily quiet... when you have a border collie and a whole mischief of rats (+ a hamster) and things are -quiet- at -night-... ? I was scared.

Seems all the rodents were just taking a nap, but I couldn't find Recon. A few panic-filled moments later I noticed the bump under my bed covers...

She was under there, -with- her toys. REALLY need to start remembering to make my bed.

Ahhh how cute!

Ed brings his toys too. If he doesn't get any attention when he brings a toy he plays VERY noisily on his own (whilst watching me constantly). If that doesn't work then all the toys come out to play! :D Then the bouncing up and down into my line of sight starts! From the top of the PC you just see this fluffy black and white head...up and down....up and down!

Funny thing is though....you stop what you're doing to play.....and he's run off with the toy! Crazy lil man! :rolleyes:

Ashe will just squeek at you until you get the message, give up what you're doing and play. Meg will clack her jaws at you, then toss toys at you if you dont move. Whim will press a toy up against your leg and chew on it if you dont take the hint

I think I'm just noticing this more not because it's abnormal behavior (for her or any toy-loving dog, esp a BC), but because for 4 months she's been doing mostly nothing but sleeping and I'm not quite used to the movement anymore.

I will say, though, that since I've been able to work with her more and not worry about her getting excited...her obedience levels have increased very quickly back to where they were before all this. I say 'sit' and she snaps to it with an enthusiasm I haven't seen in a while.

I've recently started working at Petsmart and I get a free training class. I'm not going to comment on anything other than...at least it'll be good for socialization and a brush-up for what she already knows. And...it can't hurt. So, yeah, I'm really considering doing that. It's 8 weeks, 1 night a week.

Hmm.

I'm currently working on my dissertation and I feel pretty guilty when Cody brings his 1)balls, 2) stuff alligator, 3) stuff eel, 4) frisbee, 5) yadda, yadda.... to play. I try to take 15-20 min breaks to play with him. What's nice is that I can study outside in my yard while the Codmeister plays