BC Boards

OT - Wacky Mother's Day gifts

Okay, my Mum's been an avid organic gardener since the sixties, so fifteen years ago, when the Boss and I finally got our first critters, she said, "Oh, critters? Will you have any er, uh, ahem?"

Anyhow, when contemplating the annual what-to-get-for-Mother's-Day dilemma the other day, I realized that the answer was right here. I've got a utility trailer load of partially composted, spoiled hay ready to head out in a few minutes-- she'll be ecstatic! (She's also a native plant enthusiast, so I'll also be toting along some freshly potted Solomon's Seal -- for good measure ).

So what's the oddest thing you ever gave your Mom?

I can't really rememebr anything weird. I just get her a rose and something little to go with it every year. God Bless

I got the awesomest thing from my daughter...I have had my eye on this border collie statue at the Hallmark store for over a year, and it costed $75. The only one they had, and it was there, everytime I went in to the store, I checked everytime I was at them mall. My problem was I dont generally spend that kind ofmoney on myself, for personal things, but she knew how badly I wanted it, all this time, and always said, Oh mooooom, everytime I said I had to pop in to admire it again-lol. The little thing weighs about 18 lbs and looks just like my beloved Zeus. ANYHOW....she went to the mall last night with intentions to purchas eit forme for Mother's day, and when she went up to pay for it, prepared to spend $75 on her mom...the lady at the checkout said to the manager, was this included in the dog clearance items? The manager walked up and said, yeah, we need to get rid of it cuz it takes up too much space, give her 80% off!!!!! She ended up paying a little over $15 for it and made this the best mother's day ever for me!!!!! She said she almost cried when the woman gave her the total due she was soooo excited. So it wasn't a weird gift, but it was ironic that she got it and got it so cheap when I have been him hawing over it for this long!!!! It hasa little name tag we are gonna have Zeus engrave on it, and he sits proudly next to my little year round Xmas tree in the living room-if I can download the pic soon, I will attach it one of these days-it is beautiful!!!!

I got nine hand-dug post holes (dug while severe weather raged all around), and the matching set posts and brace assemblies. I can't remember a better Mother's Day present, ever. :rolleyes:

This year we got her a bird bath ,is that wierd?
No, that is not weird; that is very thoughtful. I'm certain that your mother loved it. Most mothers don't care what the gift is (just DON'T forget the card); it is only important that their children think of them. And a bird bath is a gift that keeps on giving; your mom can watch the birds frolic in the water for years to come. Another great gift (to keep in mind for the future) is a butterfly house (you can buy them on the Internet on stakes that can be put anywhere in a yard or garden); that's what the dogs gave to DW this year.

Laura wins! That was great.

Oooh, Rebecca! That's not weird, that's awesome!

I was right, BTW, my mother was almost teary-eyed when she saw us roll in with her pile of "black gold." We "grown-ups" (The Boss, my 76 yr. old mother, 81 yr. old father, and I) spent the next part of the day unloading the heap and piling it by the garden, while my kids made dinner for us. It was universally declared "the best Mother's Day ever!" (Okay, so we don't set our sights real high around here )