BC Boards

Bailey's ill again....

Hi again, We had to put Bailey in kennels again this past weekend as we were going away and he doesnt travel well. Plus he loves staying at these kennels (he gets spoilt rotten)! But when hubby went to pick him up this morning he was told that Bailey had been coughing up 'bits', sorta as if you'd had a nose bleed (without going into too much info). Obviously I've been looking out for any sign of something being wrong and listening out for a cough. Well A min ago Bailey comes running into the living room with bright red blood smeared up the side of his nose. I know it looks like more blood than there actually is when it comes out of the mouth but it wasn't what I'd call coughing up bits.... for starters he hadnt coughed! I'll get him to the vets asap but I was wondering what it could be. I'm really worried and wanna know if it is something that I should be seriously worried about.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Claire

Have you looked round in his mouth to see if there are any injuries there? Sometimes if they chew on something hard or sharp, they can injure the gums, and then re-injure them again when eating or chewing. Also, if he had been coughing forcefully, perhaps he could have ruptured a small blood vessel? As you probably know, if they bite their tongues there can be a heck of a lot of blood, but this doesn't sound like that.

Glad you're taking him to the vet. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks, I have checked his mouth (his teeth need cleaning I didnt realise how quickly they get dirty, sorry off topic) and cant see any sign of damag. He's just brought up some more blood and when I looked in his mouth this time there was some congealed (sp?) blood right at the back of his tongue as if it had been hacked up..... but like I say he's not coughing at all.

I cant get hold of my hubby (I dont drive so I need hubby to get him to the vets), so I'm really not in a good mood now. Poor boy, he seems quieter than usual but I had originally put that down to him resting after the excitement of being in kennels.

And I'm panicking about everything now, when we brought him home he was ill in the car (he doesnt travel well), just as we got home. I just scooped it up thinking he must have eaten today and it was food but what he'd brought up looked just like old blood (you know, the brown yucky stuff) - I hope I'm just scaring myself coz if that was blood then theres a serious problem, there was loads!

Arhhhhhhhh - I just feel so helpless!

Try to stay calm Claire. Keep trying to get hold of your hubby, but in the meantime give your vet a call and explain all the symptoms to the vet nurse, or vet themselves if you can speak to one, and see what they think.

Phew, what a relief. We just got back from the vet. Bailey has a temperature, his lymph nodes are swollen too so he's been given an anti-inflamitory injection and a weeks worth of antibiotics! As for the blood, the vet is certain there is an ulcer at the very back of Baileys mouth that we cant see (Bailey wasnt being very cooperative with the whole taking a good look in his mouth thing), which would bleed. If the bleeding doesnt stop in the next week or if it gets worse, we have to go back and they will sedate him and take a proper look (with the little camera thingy, not even gonna try and spell the procedure name :D )

The vets were really good, ours couldnt fit us in so they sent us to one of their other surgeries... it was further to go but I'm impressed they made the effort for us! I've just been and bought Bailey the nicest looking steak I could find as he's had such a rough day! At least with all this travelling he should get over his 'travel sickness' in no time :D

Thanks for your support, I was a bit panicky :rolleyes: