BC Boards

My son was attacked by friend's dog

Tammy, I love how kind-hearted your boys are. Keep up the good work! They will be awesome teenagers and way down the road, the sweet, kind, loving ones always make great husbands and fathers!

Maybe the leg will feel better over the weekend and he can be back Monday helping his buddy out. Kudos to the teachers for nipping the teasing in the bud.

Hi Claire!!

I am so happy to hear from you, how are you?

Thanks, Jack and Co., that is our hope. We have invested a LOT in our kids, more than most people we know, but it is so nice to see it pay off in little ways like kindness to someone in need. That is Ben's biggest current concern. He wants to get back to protect his friend who is suffering in his absence. Ben's twin tries to fill in, but he is not in the child's class and can only be so much help. They have really wonderful teachers, too.

Ben is going to miss the time trials at Indy, he is way sad about that. I am sending dh and two healthy sons, my dh really doesn't want to go at this point, without Ben, but I think he needs to for Ben's twin's sake.

Ben is progressing, so far, no infection, every hour without signs of infection is a good hour. Time will tell.

Ditto all the others. I'll only add a couple of things. 1. I use neosporin on my wounds. ( check with Doc. about using it when bandaided the wounds). 2. Watch for any red streaking on the leg. Any streaking call the doctor immediately. Possible infection. I know he is on an antibotic but just in case. If he can get them wet a nice hot bath with epsom salts will help draw any infections out and soothes the muscles.

Give Ben some extra hugs.

Glad Ben is doing ok... shame he has to miss the time trials though! I'm ok, patiently awaiting the new arrival (only 3 weeks to go... :rolleyes: )... its not dragging like i thought it would but that could be coz I have a sick doggy to look after!

Is it getting easier for Ben to walk yet or is he still trying to stay off it?

Take care

Congrats Claire,

Glad three weeks doesn't sound too long for you, it will be here before you know it!! Remember, those first two weeks are tough, but everything gets better as you get more experience and your baby gets used to the world a bit. And you can't spoil a baby, hold it as much as you can!!

Ben is likely infected, he has a quarter size red area around one of the sutured punctures with some pus. Temp is 98.2 AX. He is going to the doctor first thing tommorrow (7:45 am), I have written down the pasteurella bug that Sharkie mentioned and will take with me. Scared for what is next (and through the summer we had been looking so forward to).

Any prayers are appreciated, he is a good boy and sure doesn't deserve this.

I hope everything goes ok at the docs, maybe just some different antibiotics will do the trick. Its good your keeping such a close eye on it, I know some mothers that wouldnt give it a second glance after the first trip to the ER!

I'm thinking of the two of you!

I can't imagine that, Claire!!! He has gotten so big, but an injury like this makes him feel just like my baby again!! (He hasn't been a baby, just my feelings)

He actually woke up much better, it is draining around the stitch and is not painful or swollen anymore. I was up all night worrying about him, don't know if it was prayer or air, but I'll take it!!! I went ahead and took him back to the doc, because it was before hours, so I couldn't call to cancel. He felt he was healing well. I am so grateful things got better instead of worse from last nite, very surprised!

Thanks for all your help, hopefully we are on the mends.

Ben is doing well today, walking some with mild pain only. One wound is still draining. I am now less concerned about the fact that he was sutured, as the stitches were placed quite widely apart and there has been plenty of room for drainage. No redness or swelling or pain. Maybe he will be ok?

Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support. Still working on what is happening with the biting dog.

Back to school for 1/2 a day today, which was painful for him, but he did it!!

Having a lot of trouble with the "run-around" in working on what happened to the dog.

Took a cat to the vet today, so had an occasion to ask her about it. She said, drive by and if the dog is still alive on day 10, forget about worrying about rabies. Which I found to be quite helpful as I had read the incubation period could be several months, so what is the use of 10 days? But she said that if there is enough rabies in the saliva to pass it on to a human, the dog will be dead within one week, and that there have been no dog rabies cases around our area for at least a decade. She was most helpful (again, I like this doc).

Thank you for all of your help!!

Been quietly following this thread--Tammy, your calm, thoughtful reaction in the face of your concern over this tragedy is impressive--there is a reason Ben is such a good kid :rolleyes:

Glad he's feeling better and healing nicely. Please keep the updates coming...

Thank you Tassie and Laura, that was very sweet.

Ben had a rough time at school yesterday, it is just crowded and he got knocked into by someone's backpack (unintentionally). His dad called his teacher (my dh teaches in the school system) and they are going to have him leave early from classes, to see if this helps. I am going to call him mid morning and pick him up between speech for little one, kindergarten bus, and preschool dropoff, if he needs it.

Everyone at his school is MAD, their protectiveness of Ben is very nice, but that has ramifications for the poor child to whom the dog belonged, so we are hoping to tone that down.

Stitiches out today, yipee!!!!