BC Boards

Size?

short answer, no.

A very safe way to think about is that they are full HEIGHT at 1 year (really it is a bit before usually). But they will sort of "fill out" until 16 months or so.

You could also think of it as you should really wait until 18 months or 2 years before jumping your dogs - because around that age you can be pretty sure that they are done growing.

Thanks! A few weeks ago there was another BC at puppy kindergarten and the owner said that it was 5 months, but it looked ginormous compared to Whinny, I just didnt know if she was a smaller BC or that one was just a freak of nature, hehe, but Whinnys brother was in the class with us as well and he is the same size, but the male version, if that makes sense?

We start Puppy Dynamics on Nov. 1st and I cant wait! We have a few more classes/months left before the jumping starts and our summers are busy with horsey activities so she'll have time to mature before jumping classes come into play

Thanks again!

I too saw a pup, actually he was only 3 months and he was already close to 40 lbs. Made my Dally girl look TINY! lol as she's only 17 at 5 months lol and half his height.

She's just a small BC and he's just gonna be a large one :rolleyes:

Cody is five months old, and about 32 lbs. right now. Still very leggy and lean looking, and he looks like a gangly teenager. But his ruff and back hair is starting to come in thicker and looks a little bit wavy, so he's looking a little bigger these last few days.

Hi Whinny,

The general rule of thumb is that most "average sized" breeds will double in weight from whatever they weighed at 16 weeks of age.

Another good rule of thumb for a BC is that an adult BC should weigh approximately twice their height at the shoulders.

Heightwise, with my two BCs, I found that they reached their adult height around 10-11 months. This varies by breed. My JRT only grew 1/2" after I got him at 13 weeks of age.

Columbia, MO

I think it also depends on the lines. Some lines grow and develop more slowly than others. I have two girls from a line that is known to grow slowly and be late in filling out. Both gained a half inch in height after they turned two years old.