BC Boards

Please send Tikkle your prayers

Tikkle needs everyone's prayers and good thoughts. She is my just-turned-a-year-old cattle working pup. Last night around 6 pm she got a foxtail (if you don't have these in your area, be thankful--they are a nasty piece of vegatation that goes in one way, and keeps travelling) up her nose. I took her to the ER for removal. They used Propofol (she had never had that before) to knock her out, got the foxtail out, but then she arrested. They did CPR and revived her, but she has still not (12 hours later) really woken up from the anesthesia. Last night, she would become restless, thrash about wildly and scream for a few moments at a time, but then go back to sleep. At 4 am they finally gave her a sedative because she had a thrashing episode that did not seem like it would stop. At 10:30 this morning, there is still no change. She is in the oxygen chamber, her blood work all looks OK, but she is still not waking up. She might lift her head for a moment, then back down. Her right eye, when the light is shined in it, seems to have some reaction, but the left eye does not. Needless to say, I am freaking out at this point. So whatever collective good thoughts anyone can send would be great. Meanwhile, I am supposed to be packing to leave for the Cattle Finals on Tuesday morning. Yeah, right,

Anna

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna I'm so sorry to hear about your Tikkle girl. Is the vet able to give you any indication of how long she might remain in this state? How long does it take for most dogs to metabolize Propofol? I'm not familiar with this kind of aneshtetic. Best wishes sent for her recovery.

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone. Brief update before I drop for the night. Turns out it was not a case of not "coming out of" the anesthesia. Cardiac arrest causes brain damage and blindness. We moved her to a MUCH better hosp. this afternoon with a great critical care Dr. She is now blind, and he gives her a 50% chance of recovering some sight. Also, a 50% chance of recovering to be a "functional pet." (We had a long discusion of quality of life for a working dog...) She has two heart abnormalities--one generaly caused by the CPR, and another that he has never seen in conjunction with CPR--a 2nd stage A/V block. He thinks this may have been preexisting but unnoticed. Could have maybe caused the arrest. Anyway, we are giving her a shot at recovering--we'll take it a day at a time to see how much she recovers. It will be a slow process no matter what. All day she was barely lifting her head on a rare occasion. This evening, the Dr. said she tried to stand on her own--front feet up, then back feet, no balance, so fell forward, but it was the most she'd tried on her own since this happened. He also said the common heart issue was already diminishing, and may go away entirely. The "odd" one was not as frequent this evening as it was when we brought her in, so that was also mildly encouraging. Anyway, that's all I can stay awake for. Will update at some point tomorrow. Thanks again everyone--I truly believe she can feel the good energy coming from literally all over for her, and know it is helping.

Anna and Tikkle

Best wishes for Tikkle! This is such a sad turn of events. But hopefuly now that she's in better and more knowledgeble care, she will be able to recover and have a normal and peaceful life with those who love her!

Hang in there! It sounds like Tikkle is doing better and even though she may have some issues, you never really know how things will turn out. I hope she continues to improve.

Best wishes to both of you.

Regards,

Anna,

I sure am keeping Tikkle and you in my thoughts . I read a bit about this drug after your first post, and one of the things that can happen ( the info I read was all dealing with humans getting this drug) is a potential crossing of the blood brain barrier. having had a drug that did that to a border collie years ago, causing temporary blindness and ataxia, I wonder if there is not also some contributing symptoms caused by this drug, in addition to her cardiac arrest.

I wish you both the best outime.