BC Boards

Financial Help for Veterinary Emergencies

I need some referrals where I can send someone to get some financial help for a veterinary emergency. I know there are organizations out there. I used to have the information but can't find it right now.

I got the following e-mail. I get a lot of "here we go again" e-mails and phone calls. I'd like to help them all but I can't. This one though, is really heartbreaking.

We currently have a Border Collie that is very ill. He was born on December 23, 2005. He has a medical condition that requires an operation that I cannot afford. Apparently this is a condition that requires an operation on his liver to remove a stint. We would rather give Zac up to a good home than to put him to sleep. He is having seizures and has for the last 24 hours or more. I need for someone to pick him up before he passes away. We have him in a crate so he doesn't harm himself. I tried to give him a bath yesterday and he almost drown. I need someone to get in contact with me immediately. Please this is an emergency. Thank you
Thanks in advance.

www.help-a-pet.org

www.thepetfund.org

http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/root/index.htm

Unfortunately, I don't think that any of these groups are set up to deal with emergencies. They all have backlogs of requests, and some have complicated applications. The help-a-pet fund has the simplest app. The AHAA site needs surgeries or treatment to be done in an AHAA vet hospital. THe Pet Fund does a rigorous screening process to ensure that the owner is a good risk-that is to say, a good owner. They don't hand out money to people who have a history of poor vet care, stupid mistakes, who have shown inability to follow treatment instructions, etc. From this owner's email to you, saying essentially, that they would rather dump this animal on someone else, than put him to sleep, I am not sure that the pet fund would help them. Liver shunts suck, and from what I understand, it takes a committed owner to get over it, if getting over it is even possible. Poor dog.