BC Boards

The whole Collar and tag thing.

so im not sure how to do it. I mean I know about the collars and all its about the tags. I want the tags to go along with the collar not the ones that hang there. my thing is, do i buy 2? on one put his name, my number, address and all then on the other, put vet number, id number and the website to go to? or do i order 1 with his name and all and after i get him chipped order another with his chip number or what ever on, i dont know what to do or if i should just get a tag that hangs there where u can write on both sides, what do you have for tags???

Dazzle hardly ever even wears her collar anymore. :rolleyes: Unless we go somewhere out of the neighborhood that isn't an agility trial (like hikes and stuff, or downtown Seattle).

Her vet (I LOVE this) makes tags for the dogs. On one side it has her name and my contact info, on the other it has the vet's name and contact info and rabies info. That is the only tag she has. BUT - she is also chipped which is why she doesn't wear her collar much. So, if she wasn't chipped I would probably get a personalized collar with her name and number printed on it, plus the tags that fit on the collar with my info and vet info - and she would also wear the collar all the time. :D

I pretty much leave Black Jack's collar on unless he's here around the house. Then I'll leave it off for a while :rolleyes: I have a regular green nylon collar I got for him at PetCo. I have his rabies tag, and his bone tag that has my name, address, phone number, and state on it. I might get one that has it printed on the collar but for now I like this one.

I think Boomerang CollarTags are the best tags on the planet. I love them because they're top quality, they don't dangle and they don't rattle.

I put two CollarTags on each dog's collar, with something like:

dog's name

home phone

cell phone

"Microchipped"

and

REWARD!

LOOSE = LOST

vet's phone

city, state

I also have a Quiet Spot tag holder for each dog. Inside: city license, rabies tag and St. Francis medal. Tags and the Quiet Spot are fastened to a sturdy little key ring that rides loose on the collar. Tons of ID --- and no noise :rolleyes:

The dogs wear their collars when we travel. They don't wear collars when they're working or when we're at home.

Boomerang tags rock, every collar in our house (except for Dakota's, which are the rolled leather type) has one on it. Each of their 'primary' collars also has a single dangly-tag on it for backup, as well as a rabies tag on Dakota (the ones we get are ginormous on Ripley and Eve can't stand the clinking).

Ripley and Dakota almost always have their collars on, but I don't hook leashes to them. They're just for ID. Eve wears her collars when we leave the house or when I need to leash her.

Boomerang tags are super! I have them on my dogs' nylon collars. But for the "everyday" collars (on a farm with cows and many appealing things to roll in, a washable collar is a necessity), we buy from Bill Boatman who has plastic-covered nylon with the nametags riveted on (at a very inexpensive price and great service). Lots of room for information on them.

Dangling tags are noisy (which can be a plus if you like that) but they can be a hazard, especially when crating. My daughter's dog hung himself when his tag caught somehow between the crate wires. He wasn't breathing when she discovered this and quick action on her part (and an emergency vet five minutes away) saved his life. Luckily, he wasn't a dog of much intellect to begin with and so any possible brain damage wasn't noticeable.

As for microchipping, although Celt was done when he was neutered and sedated, Bute was chipped as a pretty small pup without sedation, with no ill effects, and so we had that info at a young age.

Best wishes!

Don't you have to have a collar and tag on by law in US? I am not sure what rules are in other countries but here un the UK we have to have a collar and tag on any dog that is outside in public. Maybe it is different elsewhere i really don't know.

We have a tag with name and mobile number on for Holly and she is also chipped. :rolleyes:

all my old dogs were micro chipped, tattooed had collars on and never left my site. But I'm anal retentive. LOL.

Usher needs to be tattooed. He's got all the others. Better safe than sorry. P.S. Worked for the Humane society and most people that worked there didn't have their dogs licenced.

Oh- I wouldn't put your dog name on it. Or they might find a new how. I'd just put "please return" on the tag.

Both my dogs are microchipped. On top of that, they have their tags--Rabies, License, and a name tag with the following info:

Name

My number

REWARD

Short n' sweet. And I LOVE quiet spot pouches. They keep everything silent.

Most of the time, though, my dogs don't wear their collars. Mostly because when we're out at the park, they get in the nasty creek, the mud, the ick...yadda yadda, and well the smell sticks to their collars moreso than it does them. So I usually slip them off.

I'm actually looking into getting a couple martinglae collars made for them so this will be easier.

I am VERY thankful that I kept all the dogs collars and ID's on them at all times. When Jackson went on his little adventure, we were at home, and not expecting him to take off. Because of info on collar, we got him back in 24hrs.! In my county, all dogs must have rabies tag on at all times.

Our dogs rarely ever have their collars on at home, but they are all microchipped. When they go out in public, they do have their collars with rabies tags, microchip tags, and Dreamer has his therapy dog tag.

Guest pax

Mine all wear hanging brass tags that say "REWARD IF RETURNED" and my mobile phone number. I don't tend to put names because often times collars get moved around depending on who rolled in what last and what I can find that fits safely. Mine wear theirs all the time but hey, it makes a good skritchy spot they love me to itch, so there's an upside.

They are also, except for Nash, chipped. Nash will get done soon.

What and where do you tatoo on your dogs, if you tatoo them?

Luckily, he wasn't a dog of much intellect to begin with and so any possible brain damage wasn't noticeable.

:rolleyes::D That really struck me as funny this morning! I'm glad he's ok.

Damn, I wish I had seen Boomerang tags before I just spent $30 getting new (dangly) tags for my three! Those are cool. I also like the collars that Bill gets, but I guess I can't justify getting more when these are brand new.

Anyway, mine are all chipped. Their tags say "REWARD!", with their name and my home & cell phone numbers. But they only wear collars when we leave the house/yard.

Mine wear leather collars with metal tags riveted into them. The tag info is their name, my name, and my cell phone number. I may bring the collars back to the guy I got them from at Meeker and have him rivet on a second tag saying Reward and Loose=Lost or something. I really like that idea.

They're also chipped and tattooed (because I, too, am a bit anal/paranoid). The tattoos are on their inner thighs. For Taz, his tattoo is his ABCA registration number, for rescue Sophie, her tattoo is my initials and birthdate.

ETA: They do have other collars they have to also wear when we hike in Boulder's Open Space, which sport the mandatory (gigantic) Boulder OS dog tags, plus rabies tags. These are a pain because they do jangle LOUDLY all over the place (I like to think the jangle helps scare away bears and mountain lions, though :rolleyes: ) and I think scampering dogs with large thin objects dangling from their necks presents something of a hazard, but the law is the law, and the rangers are always checking...

I too like the boomerang tags for the adjustable nylon collars. My dogs all wear their collars all the time, and are microchipped. Their tags read with my name, my home & cell #'s, city, and "I'm Microchipped!". I used to only put their collars on if we were leaving the yard, but the more we go places and do things the more of a production it became just to get out the door.

yea im going to order off of boomerang tags, and i am also going to order a hemp collar from earthdog, ill probably get tags that slide on the collar, with my name,address and my phone then get another one saysing reward if lost, vets number and microchipped, im going to see if they can microcip when he goes in to get fixed and his last shots. but that tag ill wait tell i get him chipped casue if i cant get him in and he gets out then they will be looking for a chip, but then again he will have his vets number and all so i think i might order both now. Thanks for all the help

dubro...before microchipping him, be sure and ask if anyone in your area has the reader for the chip. In our area, no vet or even our humane society has the means to read any chip, I even asked about our sherriff, noone does. :rolleyes: This is in an are of about 50 miles. :D

I have the boomerang slide-on tags and I have the dog's name, address, phone number and microchip number. You will love the earthdog collars. I have two for each dog and that way when one needs to be washed I can just switch then out.

Another vote for Boomerang tags!!

My dogs always wear an adjustable nylon collar with a boomerang tag. It has their name, my name, hometown, home phone # and cell #. When we travel, I add a red plastic bone tag (also from boomerang) that says "I'm traveling" with my name, home town, and additional cell #'s. I figure the red bone is more visable just in case something should happen.

I really like the Loose=Lost idea. Maybe it's time to order some more tags...

ETA - Our county states that the dog must wear their license tag at all time. But I get a 3 year license, and when I tried to leave it on Missy in the past it came off after about 1.5 years. They sent me a new one (at no chagre), but that one was aluminum, and would have worn through even quicker. So now I don't bother putting the license on. They've got the collar tags, are supervised when loose around home, and are on leashes elsewhere

Yeah my two wear their license, rabies and name tags and a North Shore Animal League #1 Pet tag that we got in the mail. At home they don't always wear their collars, but if we leave the yard they always do.