BC Boards

Anyone in SC or IA

I'm looking at two job opportunities, one in Dubuque, IA and one in Spartanburg, SC and I'd love to have a chance to work with a stockdog trainer with my BC mix so I figured this would be a good place to see if anyone knows of a good trainer in either of those areas.

Maggie's been on sheep 3 times, but several years ago due to the distance to the trainer I use here in Indiana. Ideally I'd find someone within about an hour's drive due to gas prices, but I am flexible if I need to be. I'm not thinking that Maggie will ever trial (she's 8yo) but she enjoyed it the few times she got to see sheep, so I'd love to keep that up. :rolleyes:

What, you're not coming to Denver anymore, Erin?! :rolleyes:

Nope doesn't look like it - that opportunity ended up not really fitting me when it developed, it was way to administrative for me lol. The two positions I mentioned above are hands-on shelter work. :D I don't wanna jinx anything by elaborating much, but both interviews are 2nd interviews. :D I'll let everyone know what I'm doing once I've signed the paperwork lol.

I know some nice people in the Spartanburg/Greenville area - there's quite an active little working BC community in that area.

I know some nice people in the Spartanburg/Greenville area - there's quite an active little working BC community in that area.

Awesome! I noticed one listing for a trainer about 20miles from Sburg/Greenville on Little Hats. Are there many trials out that way?

By any chance might you be willing to PM me some contact info for people in that area? I really would like to get some local perspectives on living in that area.

It's a really nice place to live; I went to Clemson U (20 min west of Greenville) for grad school. Some things will be different for you; I know I was raised in the Chicago area and after grad school spent 3 years at Purdue as a post doc.

Mark

BTW Renee is from the Greenville area.

Yes, Rebecca, please let me know too! My trainer is 1 1/2 hrs. from me and now I don't have her any more as she is going into real estate and no longer has time for lessons. Jackson is having sheep withdrawl! If you know anyone please, please let me know!

Yeah, Bill is who I got Skip from. He and Colin are both great guys!

BTW, Bandit that was mentioned in the article, died at the end of last summer from heat exhaustion. Neighbors dogs tag teamed him and had him running all over on a particularly hot day. Bandit grew up to be an awesome dog. What a shame.

Iowa also has a very active herding community. There is the Iowa Herding Dog Association. Their web site is: http://ihda.net Also Dubuque isn't too far from Illinois and they also have a very active herding community too and their web site is: http://www.webspawner.com/users/lolbca/index.html

Kathy

Oooh, hook me up too please. :rolleyes: Greenville's my hometown and all my family still live there. Plus most of my rescue group.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to be late giving you some info.

I live in Walhalla, SC about an hour south of Spartanburg.......

Also about 45 minutes to an hour from Spartanburg is an excellent farm/ border collie trainging center. This is a 2 generation family well known in the southeast for their Border Collie accomplishments. Check their web site below and you'll be pleased to see they hold trials and also regular clinics on weekends. Private setups are also available. Nice people and VERY knowledgeable family.

I've been in the upstate region of SC for 9 years after a move from NH....you will not be dissapointed in the year round climate and access to a wide vareity of things. One of the fatsest growing areas of the country I've ever been in.

Good Luck with your decision,

Mike

Link follows:

http://www.redcreekfarm.com/

Mike, yes, Carol Anne and her hubby are great! Carol Anne is who I have been training with for the last 2yrs. Her daddy, Hubert Bailey is also well known. He lives in Dawsonville in GA. However, Carol Anne has stopped doing private training. She does still hold clinics on occasion and has a few trials as well. So does Hubert. Carol Anne has a friend that will come to her place to do training, but not on a regular basis. I am trying to find someone else until I get my own sheep. Thought it would be this summer but it's not looking good!

Erin, how goes the move??

Erin, how goes the move??

Fabtabulous lol. I have a place to move to (yay) on the west side of Spartanburg (11 mins to work!) and an official move date: June 14th. Anyone wanna drop by to help and meet myself and the fabulous Maggie Mae? :rolleyes: