BC Boards

I feel so guilty

Ok, I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I think my hormones have gone CRAZY. Anything Bailey does tonight is winding me up so bad... I've never shouted at him so much (or even like this, my throat really hurts). But I cant stop. I feel sooooooooooo guilty (even whilst I'm yelling) but cant stop it. He's just winding me up so bad... he's not even misbehaving!

My hubby is at work so its just me and the dog, so the poor boy cant even get some attention off someone nice. Ok I'm sat here in tears, I dont know what to do, I cant walk away from him as he follows me to try and make me feel better... which works for about 5 mins then I only end up screaming at him again!

I guess I just need to hear that he wont hate me for being so mean, how do you apologise to a dog??? Especially if your not sure when your next gonna snap - how can he understand that he hasnt actually done anything wrong???

Take a breath. Go in your bedroom, and close the door. If he needs to be with you, give him a chewie- or put him in his crate. Just take some time to chill. One thing that works is calling a friend, and asking them to take said pooch for a walk. Sometimes we all just need alone time. Completely understandable.

Julie

Yes, see if someone will take him for a little walk. Or, don't feel bad if you need to lock him in a bedroom, or crate, or even the garden if securely fenced - just give him something really interesting to engage him and he won't care - and all will be forgiven.

And yes, most dogs do have a very wide lattitude for forgiveness. My Ben, who is all imported lines, is a very forgiving dog thank goodness. I can't have any other kind of dog because I have terrible moods even when I'm not preggers.

Oh, and when I was pregnant with my second baby, I went through the same thing towards the first baby (then about 18 mos) around the same time - sort of a trapped, please get away from me feeling. I had a wonderful friend who took him overnight to give us both a break and it helped completely. It was a very passing thing.

Thank you. I feel so silly now but everything just got to me all at once I guess (although I'm not sure what 'everything' is). I've completely calmed down now, just hope Bailey doesnt think I'm some sort of monster :D

Gotta love those hormones :rolleyes:

Thank you. I feel so silly now but everything just got to me all at once I guess (although I'm not sure what 'everything' is). I've completely calmed down now, just hope Bailey doesnt think I'm some sort of monster :D

Gotta love those hormones :rolleyes:

Don't worry, Bailey doesn't think you're a monster. Dogs are so forgiving. You're entitled to feel moody. Don't blame yourself; that'll make you feel worse.

Gotta love those hormones

Oh man, if this is baby number one, get ready for a roller-coaster ride in the first couple of weeks post-partum, too! And be assured, you're in good company. It's just part of the deal! There's some good advice here, to just arrange to take a break from the dog, the baby, or whatever it is that's feeling stressful. Don't hesitate to call a friend or family member. Most like to help.