BC Boards

Starting Agility Competition

If you were just starting agility competition as a handler that is new to the sport with a dog that is new to the sport, and you were going to go to a trial and do just one run, what would you do?

1. What venue would you start in as a newbie?

2. What division/game would you start with in that venue?

Remember - just one run!!

If you were just starting agility competition as a handler that is new to the sport with a dog that is new to the sport, and you were going to go to a trial and do just one run, what would you do?

1. What venue would you start in as a newbie?

2. What division/game would you start with in that venue?

Remember - just one run!!

Why just one run?

I don't know NADAC games anymore since they have added so many, but Tunnelers sounds like an easy relaxed class.

For USDAA Jumpers is only jumps and tunnels and Starters is usually a pretty easy course. If the dog knows all the obstacles Gamblers is easy too as they can pick their own course in the opening.

CPE is probably a good one to start with, but I don't know those classes either!

I'd do Jumpers in any venue. Starters Jumpers is pretty flowing in the venues that we've done. Wick only did Jumpers for the first 6 or so trials, since it took a long time for her to get over her fear of the teeter. In fact, she was in Masters Jumpers before she did a standard run.

Tunnelers is fun, if you're doing NADAC. Gamblers is good too, as Roseanne mentioned, because you can do whatever you want in the opening. I'd avoid Snooker, as most beginners get very confused, and it's not that much fun for the dog if the handler doesn't have a game plan. Having said that, I love Snooker, as I consider it revenge for those dogs that can't gamble (i.e. velcro dogs)! :rolleyes:

Thanks! Based on what you both said, Jumpers sounds like something I might look into.

Maddie is really ready to start competing, but she isn't completely solid on teeter and weaves yet. I'd like to get her started on something while we continue to work on those.

I'd like to go and do just one run! Get our feet wet, so to speak.

If you have access to CPE definitely do that!! I just had my first trial ever which was CPE. There are 6 levels and in level 1 there's no teeter or weaves in any of the games. You can also Q at the lower levels with a few faults. AND the only obstacles you can't repeat (ie. train in ring) are contacts. There is also NO OFF COURSE. So when your dog misses going in a tunnel or taking a jump (mine did) you can bring the dog back around and try again without penalty (just sucks up time). The level 1 courses were VERY easy (I do MUCH harder ones in my agility classes) but perfect for gaining confidence.

I liked this senario because we got the experience of an actual trial (of which I was nervous on some of the runs and I'm sure River knew it) but we also had success which was GREAT for ME so that the weekend didn't feel like a bust. They also explained each game before it started in a briefing - which was nice because a few of them don't read perfectly in the rulebook.

They have 7 games - which I did all but the Jackpot? which is the distance one. But once I saw how close the distance was, I felt that River and I might have been able to do it after all.

We Q'd 6/7 runs and 5 of them were clean - slow, but clean. :rolleyes:

I think it is a most excellent first timer venue - but then I don't have any other experience.

Just one run? Why would you run just one? With CPE I was able to run 6 no problem. Just one huh? I guess it would depend on what I wanted out of it. How good my dog was on contacts. Which range of obstacles I'd want the most experience with actual trial conditions. With River, I'd do CPE standard (no weaves/teeter since she doesnt do either yet) to get the most range. I must say that River did running contacts at the trial but doesn't in class - which is directly due to not having targets at the bottom of the contacts. It worked out ok, but I learned that she DOES look for the target.

Thanks! Based on what you both said, Jumpers sounds like something I might look into.

Here's Wick running a Starters Jumpers course last year.

As you can see, it's nice and flowing, with minimal side changes required. Also, I don't believe that there are refusals in Starters, so even if you have a run-by, you can go back and fix it, and not incur a fault.

I used to be a USDAA Judge ( didn't re-take the test in time to keep my status is all)

in USDAA Starters there are no refusals/run-bys on ANYTHING. As long as you're under time and don't have any standard faults (knocked bars, etc) you can Q. Oh, and if your dog puts all 4 feet on a contact and then comes off you can't repeat for safety reasons. (doesn't apply after Starters)

In Advanced (the next level up) refusals are only called on contact obstacles. 3 gives you an E.

In Masters, of course, you get them on everything.

I would enter as many classes as the dog was ready for, as far as obstacles go.

I teach the see-saw first, of all the contacts, but I guess I'm odd. It's the easiest, for my dogs, since the only behavior required is to stop at the end and I don't use any props to teach it.

RaisingRiver: be careful, if you let her run off her contacts once, she will most likely try to do it again! Could become a problem VERY quickly!!! If you don't train at class/home without a target on the ground you probably need to start working on that - I'm surprised your trainer didn't have you fade that away before entering the trial.

NADAC tunnelers. :rolleyes:

No contacts (handler stress), no jump bars (dog and handler stress), no weave poles (lots of stress). Just tunnels - the dog can't perform the obstacle wrong and the worst thing that would happen is they would go off course, but there is little chance of injury for an over excited new dog with a stressed handler.

ETA: for whole venues, I like NADAC and CPE for green dogs. There are no refusals, more flowy courses, and plenty of course time in Novice.

Here's Wick running a Starters Jumpers course last year.
As you can see, it's nice and flowing, with minimal side changes required. Also, I don't believe that there are refusals in Starters, so even if you have a run-by, you can go back and fix it, and not incur a fault.

That's cool! Maddie could definitely do that! I have to babysit the jumps more, but she could do it!

Just one run? Why would you run just one?

Just to get the feel for it. I've found with Rally that it tends to be best to sign up for one course in a day (unless it's for an ARCH double Q).

RaisingRiver: be careful, if you let her run off her contacts once, she will most likely try to do it again! Could become a problem VERY quickly!!! If you don't train at class/home without a target on the ground you probably need to start working on that - I'm surprised your trainer didn't have you fade that away before entering the trial.

Yah, I know. River and I are in a Level 3 agility class which is fine for me but I've decided it's too advanced for River. Every other dog in class weaves 12 poles, etc. But we were moved up due to space needed in lower level classes and I didn't think it'd be an issue. River is the third dog I've started. But I think we need to move back down to work on basics since in Lvl 3 we just run 12-14 obstacle courses and don't work on anything specific unless it's part of our run we messed up. Hence the non-fading of targets - just wasn't on instructors mind in this class. I also think it will help River be more confident and ultimately faster. She's slower then slow - I'm faster then she is! (which is why I didn't post the video I have from our trial).

We also signed up for the trial on our own, although my instructor knew I was going and was actually there (and in the ring as a steward a few times).

Ok, back on subject!

I agree definetly CPE is great to start off with. If you are only going to do one class I would choose Fullhouse. You pretty much get to do what you want (need to have three jumps, two round obstacles and one contact or weave and a total of 19? points) So if your dog will stay with you and isn't to slow you Q :rolleyes: Jumpres would be a good choice also or colors which is a 8-10 obstacle course. Have fun!

I agree definetly CPE is great to start off with. If you are only going to do one class I would choose Fullhouse. You pretty much get to do what you want (need to have three jumps, two round obstacles and one contact or weave and a total of 19? points) So if your dog will stay with you and isn't to slow you Q :rolleyes: Jumpres would be a good choice also or colors which is a 8-10 obstacle course. Have fun!

Thanks! I was just talking to someone about CPE yesterday and I am very seriously considering it now.

Maddie is slow, but she will stay with me. I'm not expecting placements because she is slow, but I think she would move fast enough to qualify at the lower levels.

• 1 month later...

I don't know CPE, so no opinion there. But NADAC, as mentioned, has jumpers and tunnelers - but most of all, if you're willing to accept an elimination (non-qualifier), you are allowed to train in the ring. In fat, you are encouraged to do so, as needed! If your dog breaks the start - you can go back, replace him/her, then lead out again and run the course. If you need to put your hands on the dog on the teeter, you can do so. Basically, you can do anything you'd do in practice except have toys, food or a collar in the ring. (Well, OK, YOU can have a collar on your shirt...but the DOG cannot have a collar!) Novice Jumpers courses tend to be quite simple, with possibly one or two tunnels. Tunnelers is fun too, as mentioned. Heck, you could even do the standard course and decide to skip whatever obstacles you aren't ready for - and all you'll get is precious time at a trial to help your dog. And oh, of course, the E. But at this point, I don't think the almighty E (or should that be almighty Q?) should be huge concern.

Whatever you decide, most of all: HAVE FUN!

diane