BC Boards

How to clean a collie's ears?

It looks like my baby could use an ear cleaning...and when I tried with just water and cotton pads, it won't do the job properly (duh! it's wax...)

On the internet, the advice seems to be to go buy those special ear cleaning solutions, but, my wallet's seen better days than rigth now (lol) and with puppy's shots and Sentinel prescription coming up and our trip as well, well, running to the store for yet more doggie gear is not the best option.

So, does anyone know of simple household products or techniques to get those ears clean without shelling out the $$$?

Just thought I'd ask!

Thanks

I used to have an English Setter, and his ears were always in need of a cleaning. For a while we used Q-Tips, but he hated them and I never really got it all out because I didn't want to put them too far into his ear. I found that using a few tissues works the best. You can fold them in half, and then just wipe out the gunk. And he liked getting his ears cleaned with them too.

Mineral oil on a cotton ball worked pretty well for geting rid of the brown goop in my pup's ears. It's about $3 for a large bottle in the "digestive aid" section of drug or grocery stores.

YES! I second this. This is what I have always used on my pet's ears. There are so many over the counter old time solutions to so many cleaning problems - for living creatures and for around the house cleaning. My cleaning closet contains Vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, mineral oil, salt and Borax.

Mineral oil is also great for seasoning your wooden cutting boards. After seasoning them, keep them clean with salt and lemon juice.

Sprinkle your board with salt, then rub a lemon over the surface.

I use the flat cotton cosmetic rounds for cleaning my dog's ears. I do use a commercial cleaning solution, but I might try the mineral oil.

Mineral oil works just as well as. Actually, probably better. Works perfectly for me.

Remember, commercial products use these natural ingredients, like mineral oil and then they add things to this like smell good stuff, and maybe a bit of detergent.....whatever.

You don't need to buy commercial products and pay a big price for something that you can buy and use on your own and get the same benefits.

It's a commercial world, eh. Get past the hype and use your intelligence. Do the research.

We fostered a Cocker Spaniel one time that had terrible ears. This is the solution I used, and it's absolutely wonderful! I went to the local drugstore and got everything needed for about $15.00 and it lasts forever. I still use it to clean our dogs' ears. My groomer and vet has mentioned many times how good our dogs' ears look.

Here is the site for it and it will tell you how to mix it.

Ear Cleaner

The ingredients are:

White vinegar

Powdered boric acid

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

Betadine antiseptic (or generic equivalent)

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

We fostered a Cocker Spaniel one time that had terrible ears. This is the solution I used, and it's absolutely wonderful! I went to the local drugstore and got everything needed for about $15.00 and it last forever. I still use it to clean our dogs' ears. My groomer and vet has mentioned many times how good our dogs' ears look.

Here is the site for it and it will tell you how to mix it.

Ear Cleaner

The ingredients are:

White vinegar

Powdered boric acid

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

Betadine antiseptic (or generic equivalent)

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

Excellent advice! A keeper.

Am I the only one who never cleans her dogs ears? Each time he goes to the vet, they all ohh and wow at how clean his ears are. I swear I never clean them. I do check him peridicaly, but his ears are always pink and clean. Never gets dirt in them, or wax. I've wiped them with some wet cotton pads a couple of times, but he's always clean!

Guess there's one advantage of having a floppy-eared Border Collie! :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who never cleans her dogs ears? Each time he goes to the vet, they all ohh and wow at how clean his ears are. I swear I never clean them. I do check him peridicaly, but his ears are always pink and clean. Never gets dirt in them, or wax. I've wiped them with some wet cotton pads a couple of times, but he's always clean!

Guess there's one advantage of having a floppy-eared Border Collie! :rolleyes:

Actually, floppy-eared dogs generally have more problems with their ears than others. Some dogs that have the worst ear problems are Spaniels (Cockers especially) and Poodles.

Anyway, the reason I clean my dogs' ears is because Dreamer had bad ears when he was younger. I couldn't keep them clean for anything. Well, when I was told about that solution and used it on him, his ears have been fine. I use the solution as a precaution, plus I can't see what's down inside the ears, so I always clean the dogs' ears to make sure that they stay clear, but that's only during bath times. :D

You are right, I thought about that after I wrote my message. I remember meeting some stinky cockers, and it was all comming from their dirty ears. Well, I don't have an explanation, but the level of clensiness of Ouzo's ears ALWAYS, without an exception, makes the vets remark what clean ears he has.

Hm, Daisy always has clean ears, too. There must be just enough flop to protect them but not enough to create a vapor lock!

If all you need to do is clean waxy dirt out of the ears, you can use a tissue or a Q-tip (carefully and gently!) moistened with vegetable oil, which you probably already have in your cupboard. This actually goes for children's and cat's ears too!

I knew it! so much info. you folks have been awesome to me newbie...thanks. I will pick one to try, probably whatever is easiest and most convenient one because of packing and finals grrr I am going nuts rigth now.

Beth, she is a new puppy. She had to be on Medi-Cal (gastro variety) for a while recently, and now she is eating Natural Balance...it was the best I could find, no corn/gluten/menadione. Would you believe it, I bougth it the day before the recall!!! it freaked me out the next day when I found out. But the all stages kibbles I am feeding are not part of the recall...should I add "yet"??? grrr

Would you believe it, I bougth it the day before the recall!!! it freaked me out the next day when I found out.

Ack! that would drive me nuts, too!

Different ingredients in the food can affect individual dogs differently. If ear gunk continues to be a problem you might want try a different food and see if that makes a difference. Hmmm, I think we are now down to about 6 or so brands that you can safely feed, at least for now...

I've never cleaned goop any of my dogs' ears. They are always very clean and I occasionally just put a dab of rubbing alcohol on a damp cotton ball and wipe the inside of the ear leather clean. I think diet does have a bit to do with it, allergies can cause ear problems too.

Same here. Though I feel obliged to wipe out their ears once in a while, they're never really dirty or goopy.

I also use a little bit of rubbing alchohol on a cotton pad or cotton ball.

I can loan out Shelby to any dog that needs its ears cleaned!!! she does a great job of keeping other dogs ears nice and clean :rolleyes:

I use Q-Tips to clean my dogs ears. Though it seems like my Border collies never really need an ear cleaning that much. Though my Golden Retriever is bad at it. So we have to use more Q-tips on him. Sometimes I'll use a soft piece of cloth like a sliky shirt or something and gently run it along the wax to get it out.