BC Boards
SoloRiver

theme: working stockdogs

This thread is for photos of working dogs. By "working dogs" I mean dogs working stock. Not playing ball, or doing agility, or whatever else they consider work. I mean the true work of the Border Collie.

Let's share the top two or three photos we have of our dogs doing what they were bred for.

I regret that I have nothing newer than these to share, but it's been a while since I've been able to work my dogs. These will probably look familiar to some of you.

318350521_26e10311be_o.jpg

Solo walking up

318350520_2a437f7bb0_o.jpg

Fly going "away"

265764362_570ef6429d_o.jpg

And one of Nicky Riehl's Lizzie at the Finals last fall.

Nikon D70s, various lenses

Ok, I volunteer to be the poster with the lamest contribution to the thread. There, that lets all the pressure off the rest of you. :rolleyes:

Jack's first time on sheep. Well, only. So far. But, we've found a trainer and get to start in June.

29yiosi.jpg

Guest pax

Paula, what's on his nose? Some kind of fotheringale, it looks like. Meant to keep his nose down?

Celia, that's his Gentle Leader. It's a head collar for dogs. Unruly dogs, like Jack. :rolleyes: I forgot (in all my giddiness) to take it off before he went in the pen. When the trainer told my husband to take the leash off, he just unhooked the leash, instead of taking the GL off.

Wow Melanie, Solos eyes look EXTREMELY intense, like "I dare one of you to move wrong" LOL. I love seeing working pictures, makes me highly jealous cause I havent tried Riven yet, but still, I love to see them.... holding my breath till Denise posts some... :rolleyes: :D

Guest CleverDog

Hey, PSmitty -I know where you are! You might also recognize the place below then? Wouldn't that be funny...and a little weird.

Here's a USBCHA (I will be mortified if I got that wrong) trial I went to. I have no idea who these people are, but all of them were extremely nice, and some people said my dog was "very good looking". Which I think I lived off of for a week. People asked if he was running, which I thought so was kind considering I felt so out of place! I really loved how everyone was very gracious, even when their runs didn't go so well, and had a funny, dry sense of humor about it. I think my favorite was hearing, "YOU! You LISTEN to ME!" yelled on occasion. I put a watermark on these, it looks silly and distracting, and they aren't even special to begin with. I think everyone here has a sense of respect anyway.

I thought I had color film in, hehehe...

15A_0142.jpg

_7A_0150.jpg

_2A_0155.jpg

Here's the trainer Caper and I went to when we were home...but I am never home. I can't find a trainer where I live for the other 3/4 of the year...instead, I am trying to find sheep, but that's harder. I would love to get into herding, and understand things, and Caper loves it much better than agility. (Of course.) Can anyone explain to me the concept of a "square flank"? I cropped it in case the trainer didn't want to be in the photos, she's very nice, she was great with Caper...in 99% of these photos I was completely in the way. It wasn't until hours later I understood that she just wanted me to turn in a circle. Dur.

Herd6mon.jpg

I can't wait to see what everyone puts up!

I love the black and white -- and the angle is interesting too.

The way I think of square flanks is as the tangent to the circle that the dog is on, with the sheep at the center. In other words, a flank perpendicular to the radius between the dog and the sheep.

Sadly, I have no black and white photos of dogs working, but I do have one of the pen at the Finals before the last round of Open.

272064703_5c9e1de4bc_o.jpg

Leica M3, Summicron 50/2, Tri-X 400

Guest CleverDog

Oh, I love that photo! It's the sky...I hope you have it framed somewhere. Do you have some more of the Finals? I would love to see them, as I've only been to one trial.

Thank you, that makes sense...only now it leads to more questions! Is a square flank natural, and do most (say, maybe most dogs in Open?) dogs have it? What is the purpose of a square flank, is it used more in trails for a specific activity, or is it used working at home also? (Sorry for asking all the questions...maybe I should start a thread in the training section!)

Bear, at a fun trial a few years ago:

bear_pylon.jpg

Lou from a few years ago:

lou_fvsdt.jpg

And he's not mine (not that I haven't tried to steal him), but this is Lou's Uncle Patch, whom I covet greatly:

patch-2.jpg

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I hopefully will have more to share.

Tracy, same place? (My photos don't need a watermark... :rolleyes: ) St. Cloud?

2uy1ziv.jpg

2j5l5l3.jpg

I thought about posting these crappy shots earlier, but I didn't know who they were. The first dog is Lassie, I remember that. She had a great run the day I was there. The second one, lady's name is Jan, I don't know the dog. She had a hell of a time trying to get the shed (never did, unfortunately), as one little sheep stuck to her like glue.

And he's not mine (not that I haven't tried to steal him), but this is Lou's Uncle Patch, whom I covet greatly:

patch-2.jpg

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I hopefully will have more to share.

I love this picture!

Who won the staredown?

more pictures please.. since i have none to contribute to this theme.

*goes and sits in a corner and sulk*

I don't have great photos of Taz working, but I do have a few.

This is at a herding demo at the 2005 Wool Market in Estes Park, Colorado:

june05-20.jpg

Here's another:

june05-15.jpg

This one was taken at the Boulder County Fair SDT last summer:

080106b.jpg

Guest CleverDog
Tracy, same place? (My photos don't need a watermark... :rolleyes: ) St. Cloud?

Yes! For the life of me I couldn't remember where earlier. Now I have goosebumps!

She had a hell of a time trying to get the shed (never did, unfortunately), as one little sheep stuck to her like glue.

I remember that! It was very interesting to watch.

Lou is quite gorgeous! I don't quite have anything intelligent to add, but look at the sheep look at him!

YAY! I was waiting for a thread like this. I have no contributions of my own dogs, aside from some embarrasingly bad pictures of Eve on her first time out. I'm putting her up for a while so since I can't watch her work OR go to any trials (none around here) I'll live vicariously through everyone's photos. :rolleyes:

I love this picture!

Who won the staredown?

Patch won, of course! And isn't he just gorgeous? Occasionally, people mistake Patch for Lou, but there is something so regal about Patch, whereas Lou exudes more, um, goofiness.

Yup, Paula. There isn't any real training to be done at this age so it's just a matter of letting her grow up and hoping I don't ruin her. :rolleyes: I'll probably let her see stock every month or so just to see how her instinct develops as she matures. I guess on the plus side, this is the time when i can get the lessons *I* need!

Hmm. These are old and not the best but may as well go for the action.

Straight through the middle to catch a runaway cow (AKA eight feet off the ground):

77298262.jpg

One picture from the Meeker series:

77298265.jpg

And a personal favorite of mine of Mick:

58946802.jpg

Denise, they're breath taking, of course.

I will admit to having the Meeker series printed out and posted in my office at my former job. I'm really, really sorry if that was stealing. I guess it was, but I did always give you credit to anyone who wanted to talk about your photos--and they got constant exclamations of appreciation. It was a fantastic way to expose my office mates and visitors to sheepdogs and herding, and Meeker is close enough to me that the people who were impressed with your photos could conceivably attend...

Oh, I love that photo! It's the sky...I hope you have it framed somewhere. Do you have some more of the Finals? I would love to see them, as I've only been to one trial.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.pbase.com/miranc/usbchafinals2006 (most of these are digital)

By the way, what film/camera were you using for your trial photos? I'm a gear geek so I always like to know.

Thank you, that makes sense...only now it leads to more questions! Is a square flank natural, and do most (say, maybe most dogs in Open?) dogs have it? What is the purpose of a square flank, is it used more in trails for a specific activity, or is it used working at home also? (Sorry for asking all the questions...maybe I should start a thread in the training section!)

I think, and I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, that a square flank is what you want, all else being equal. In other words, in an idealized field with idealized sheep (neutral sheep, field with no strong draws or repellents), the dog's flanks should always be square. However, depending on what the sheep are doing, or what the field is like, a flank might need to be not square in order to get the sheep to do what the dog and handler want. I also think that if a dog's flanks are often off square it might tell you something about the dog. For example, a weaker dog might slice her flanks because she cannot move tough sheep otherwise, or an anxious dog might slice his flanks a lot because he fears losing his sheep or feels like he cannot "feel" them unless he is right up their butts (I am not talking about any dogs I personally know, no, of course not). But hopefully someone will have a more intelligent answer to the question than what I just said.

Spree. I love this dog. She is way too fun. What a great dog. I am having the best time trialing/learning from her. We are currently running in Ranch class here in Texas. Oh and believe it or not she's related to Stella, she's her aunt.

CopyofP2210016.jpg

Copy2ofPC260061.jpg

CopyofPC260035.jpg

CopyofPC260022.jpg

PC290050.jpg

Freya fetching at a trial

KeepstoneFetchcropped.jpg

Some pics working last spring, they are not that great because I used a digital point and shoot. Freya is actually quite thin, but her coat makes her look really fat in these pics.

waiting to start her outrun, do you think she really wants to go?

WaitForOutrun.jpg

end of the fetch

fetchMay23.jpg

flanking

flankMay23.jpg

Guest CleverDog

Wow, Denise...I can't believe the cow shot. You are very good at catching the right moments.

SoloRiver, thank you for the link! All of the photos have a certain style. Shoot, now that I know what a square flank really is, that's going to be my goal...and we've barely even started. I must s-l-o-w down. The camera is a Canon AE-1, I believe that's all it's called? It is much loved, and I'm surprised it still works for me after all I put it through. Er...70-210 mm lens, and I had to look up the film: it says BW 400-2 Kodak? I don't know anything about film. I went out and got a Holga after seeing the square theme, but I haven't had anything interesting to take...

I *ALSO* have a photo of Patch working, albeit a crappy one:

462365304_cdd61793cd_o.jpg

I think Patch is lovely!

And some other working dogs

Hayden versus a really woolie woolie:

462365272_f8f33ed681_b.jpg

Ru working

462365288_5fc4327f63_o.jpg

No sheep in this one, but I promise that's what he was doing:

462365294_21a5a92cd3_o.jpg

His brother Ric working:

462365286_c41430fc9e_o.jpg

They aren't very good, I apologize, but I wanted to play along!

RDM