BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
blackacre

A photojournalism essay

Day 1. I arrive in Virginia. Plenty of time, isn't there? Let's have a couple of drinks first and then mosy out for some idle sheeping before dinner.

Not shown: Sam, in shorts and a T-shirt. Sweating. It's hot. 80's, in your peculiar American method of keeping score.

Day1.jpg

Dinner attended to, it's time to check for lambs.

Not shown: Lambs. Lots.

Next up, movies, more drinkies, catching up on the latest sheepdogging gossip.

Day 2. Hmmm. A little frosty out there. Let's go watch Sam's lesson on AJ and see if we like him and want to buy him in the blink of an eye. He'd look damned good under her new saddle, don't you think? Plenty of time for sheeping later.

Not shown: Me, shivering on a bench, dutifully taking pictures. Trying to get a signal so I can call Texas about my puppy.

Day2.jpg

Not shown: Later, when Randy comes over and we work some sheep--in a lazy kind of way. There's plenty of time, right?

Even later, drinks and dinner, another artful concoction from Sam the Quintessential Homemaker.

Some conclusions are tentatively reached, the gist being as follows: Nap's an idiot. Sonny has remembered how to shed. Buff is an off the shelf phenom. Teak is damned nice: Bobby Henderson did a tremendous job training him. Go figure. Fred is . . . Red.

Not shown. More lambs. A bunch more. Then chores. You know, feeding, watering, shots, nut- and tail-strangling, that kind of thing.

Not shown: a movie or two. I don't cry. Well, they were comedies, thank god, and nothing that actively reminds me of my childhood. Phew.

Day 3. I wake up and look outside and this is what I see:

Day3.jpg

And this:

Day3too.jpg

And also this:

day3later.jpg

Naturally, in a paroxysm of joy, I LEAP out of bed and go take a bunch of pictures. Isn't this fun? Now a Canadian can travel anywhere and TAKE THE WEATHER WITH HER. This is the type of insight that makes me get goosebumps all over. Wait, maybe that's because it's in the low 30's out there.

I get a really good idea. Let's go shopping and buy stuff for Sam's horse. Maybe we can rope Randy into coming with us.

Not shown: we shop--a lot. Horse stuff for Sam and a delightful little door mat for me that says: "Leave". Then we go out and eat a lot of carbs. I forget what, exactly, but it was really good.

Not shown: lambs blah blah blah.

Day 4: We go to Williamsburg (boring and totally Not Shown. You've seen it, anyway, in your nightmares if nowhere else: sullen modern day Virginians all dressed up to look like they lived hundreds of years ago, doing the kind of things they did then and pretending not to notice the scores of tourists jamming every Emporium of that Long Gone Era Replicated Here for Your Amusement and Our Profit.)

Not shown: I eat a lot more carbs, this time in the form or a Giant Turtle. I forget what they call it in the candy mmshop, but it costs $3.99 and it goes down real smooth.

Not shown: We go (supposedly) to get my puppy at the Richmond airport.

Not shown: Me, in the airport, freaking out, because the flight is nowhere listed. Nor is there anyone at the American Airlines counter. Heh heh, laughs the guy in the cargo area. "Yup, you're right, that flight's not listed on the board."

Not shown: Steve, telling me there's bound to be a taxi that will take me from Richmond to Dulles, if by chance the puppy went there instead.*

The next day, I forget the number: Some of the snow melts. Before that, Spot Glen learns to do the snowplow: stick your nose in a drift, push off, slide like an otter.

day4.jpg

Is this the day we do international sheds? I think so. That's what the picture shows, anyway.

intlshed.jpg

Other stuff happens too, but I forget just what. Lambs are involved. It's getting to be a blur. Did we just put that ewe in there or was she from yesterday? We're up to a 101 lambs, with a bunch of ewes left to go.

I pack to leave the next day.

Not shown: checking the weather. Looks like it's heading up into the 70's after I leave. Oh goody.

A.

* Yeah he arrived, got named Spot Glen and learned the snowplow.

Wonderful! *claps hands* It was almost like being there.

I am quite disappointed in the lack of Spot Glen snowplow shots, but the rest are lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Guest pax

Uh...where's the puppy?

Is there a little lost BC at Dulles?

More horse pics! Did you buy him?

I snorted, I actually did...Sullen modern day Virginians indeed...You are a riot!

yes, pax I bought the horse...

one new saddle $1500.00

One new bridle $350.00

horse insurance 500.00

Getting to have my midlife crisis going mach one over a cross country fence with my arms wraped around his beautiful neck, no feet in the stirrups screaming oh [email protected]! while my riding instuctor calmly says keep your heels down and your eyes up...PRICELESS!!!!!

Guest CleverDog

Not only do you get a puppy but you also get a new horse?! Lovely description by the way. (The horse...although the story was fun too. : )

I like these photo journals!

This bring-the-snow-with-you weather happened to me too.

I drove down to SW Michigan to spend Easter with boyfriend (who also has a Loki and covets Skip the Wonderful on BCRO) 70 degress on Tuesday, I arrive, temp plummets to 30, snow for 5 days, I leave, sun comes out and temps soar.

How many times did you get blamed for the weather? I sure did.

Nice pictorial and congrats on the horse - aren't vacations fun?

Very nice photo essay! I really loved the pics and Spot Glen is adorable!! (No pictures in this post of the pup, but I peeked elsewhere.) Post more pics!! He is just too cute!!!

Wow! A. and CDW resurfacing in the same day. The new board is blessed.

Thanks for the entertainment (and I include the puppy's name in that category :rolleyes: ).

Guest Rockie's mum

Really enjoyed that, congratulations on your new pup and horse.

Annie

So when will we be seeing Spot Glen? Nice photo essay.

Wasn't it just last year we celebrated Sam's 30th? How can she be having a midlife crisis already? :rolleyes:

Nice horse, have you shown off to "cowboy TW" yet?

Mark

Loved it. Know just what you are talking about.

However, more pics of horse and puppy please! :rolleyes:

Cowboy TW? Call me stupid (and I am sure you will!) but I dont get it??? Thanks Denise, I am really loving the whole horse thing again and AJ is a reall sweetie pie.

Guest pax

Oh yes. There is a definite picture deficiency happening here.

More more more more more. Please.

Guest pax

Er. Horse too, please. : )

What is he what's his job what're you doing with him, you know, dish!

In that one pic he looked like he was going around in a nice little frame but it's hard to tell from head on shots.

nice narration! beautiful shots (the first one with the Sheep.Lots. missing is kinda spooky ...makes me feel they are standind behind me)

oh yea about the canadians being cursed?

Pax

he is an 8 yr old warmblood gelding, he has been foxhunted and is ready for prelim level eventing ( I most certainly am NOT!) :rolleyes: Just geting back into riding after about 20 yrs..I am looking to start eventing this fall (hopefully!) Thank you, I am working very hard at keeping him in a nice round frame, he is a lot of horse to put together....but he can look amazing when someone is on him that knows what they are doing.

Mark,

Not yet, Tommy was joking that he would be getting off his new little horse to get all the gates and I would simply be jumping them all...I also mentioned something about him getting down on bended knee so I could use him for a mounting block to get on my bloody big horse. :D There may have been a day that I could have got on him from the ground, but that day is not now. AT 16.2 he is large and in charge.

Guest pax
Pax

he is an 8 yr old warmblood gelding, he has been foxhunted and is ready for prelim level eventing ( I most certainly am NOT!) :rolleyes: Just geting back into riding after about 20 yrs..I am looking to start eventing this fall (hopefully!) Thank you, I am working very hard at keeping him in a nice round frame, he is a lot of horse to put together....but he can look amazing when someone is on him that knows what they are doing.

Mark,

Not yet, Tommy was joking that he would be getting off his new little horse to get all the gates and I would simply be jumping them all...I also mentioned something about him getting down on bended knee so I could use him for a mounting block to get on my bloody big horse. :D There may have been a day that I could have got on him from the ground, but that day is not now. AT 16.2 he is large and in charge.

A little baby novice will set you up nicely. :D Grab mane! That's why Mother Nature gave 'em. I have a picture of me and the ONLY point of contact is my hands on his mane. No kidding.

He looks like he has a nice attitude in that pic, just trotting along with his ears perked. Good luck with him. I hope we see more.