BC Boards

Playing

I know this may sound a silly question but how do get my BC to play with me? We've had him since 8 weeks old and he 's now nearly 6 months, but he's so independant. He plays by himself for ages. I've taught him fetch games but he'll only bring back a ball acouple of times if I really insist. He just wants to go off on his own and chew toys or chase bees or butterflies around the garden. He's quite good at finding toys when I hide them and he enjoys working things out. I thought all BCs loved playing ball. I suppose I'm worried that he isn't responding to me as well as I'd like. He comes back quite well when he's off lead as long as I watch for out distractions and have plenty of treats and he's responding well to training. He just doesn't seem to have any fun with me! :rolleyes:

I know this may sound a silly question but how do get my BC to play with me? We've had him since 8 weeks old and he 's now nearly 6 months, but he's so independant. He plays by himself for ages. I've taught him fetch games but he'll only bring back a ball acouple of times if I really insist. He just wants to go off on his own and chew toys or chase bees or butterflies around the garden. He's quite good at finding toys when I hide them and he enjoys working things out. I thought all BCs loved playing ball. I suppose I'm worried that he isn't responding to me as well as I'd like. He comes back quite well when he's off lead as long as I watch for out distractions and have plenty of treats and he's responding well to training. He just doesn't seem to have any fun with me! :rolleyes:

This is a very unusual request. Most BC's will never leave you alone. I would love for mine to be this independent.

Try using treats. A treat that he really loves and wants. Let him sniff it and then put it behind you and ask him to find it. Hide iit, etc.

Guest WoobiesMom

My boy came to me loving fetch, but I really want to do flyball. Originally, he would only bring the ball back 3-4 times and lose interest. I read somewhere (can't remember where) and saw on tv the amount of enthusiasm flyball competitors use while their dogs are running and started using that when we play fetch. I sound like an idiot, even at the dog park in front of strangers. :rolleyes: I clap, and hoot, and yell yes! great job! good boy! good work! the whole time he's heading out after the ball/frisbee and the whole time back as well. I used treats to get him to release and taught him "leave it" and popped a treat into his mouth as soon as he released along with lots of praise.

Maybe that'll help.

My boy came to me loving fetch, but I really want to do flyball. Originally, he would only bring the ball back 3-4 times and lose interest. I read somewhere (can't remember where) and saw on tv the amount of enthusiasm flyball competitors use while their dogs are running and started using that when we play fetch. I sound like an idiot, even at the dog park in front of strangers. :rolleyes: I clap, and hoot, and yell yes! great job! good boy! good work! the whole time he's heading out after the ball/frisbee and the whole time back as well. I used treats to get him to release and taught him "leave it" and popped a treat into his mouth as soon as he released along with lots of praise.

Maybe that'll help.

I think that you will have to discover that one thing that your pup

wants more than anything else. Once you find it, use it for all it's worth .

just my 2 cents.

I would try putting a really good, I mean REALLY GOOD treat in your pocket. Then show him it's in there and just walk around the yard. He'll start following you around trying to get the treat. Hope that helps :rolleyes: