BC Boards

New member, new BC mom & NEED HELP!

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board for a few weeks now. The advice has been so helpful. I'm writing because I need support and encouragement. My family adopted Bindi from a rescue in Eastern WA when she was 8 weeks. She is a border collie/australian shepherd mix.

e9efc019.jpg Then

e9efc00c.jpg Now (will she ever grow into those ears?) :rolleyes:

I am one of those people that didn't do any research on the breed before bringing her home. The first couple of months were easy beans but not any more. I feel really overwhelmed and out of my league with her. Bindi is a really sweet and happy puppy. She loves everyone and everything. She mauls the cats if they let her, tries to play with the neighbor dog - who will have none of her crazy friendliness. Definitely jumps up on everyone. We are working on that and I got some really good advice from a post the other day. I've gone through basic obedience with her and she did really well. Home behavior is a different story though.

The number one problem with Bindi is her biting and nipping. She is constantly doing it. I was told to try Binaca spray and, while she doesn't like it, it doesn't seem to be curbing the behavior. She growled and snarled at me aggressively 2 weeks ago when I pulled her back from jumping on my son. I'm very worried that this is escalating and she is going to bite someone hard.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement and reassurance. I seem to be the only one in my family that cares for the dog. My DH will take care of her when I ask but gets really frustrated with her behavior. My oldest son says he wants a dog (he is the one who wanted a BC because his friend has one) but won't help with her unless I nag. I know I can't rely on an 11 year old completely but I feel like he should be able to step up and help some.

Ok - I better post this novel.

Bindi Mom

Thank you for taking the time to investigate a plan of action!!

Can you invest in taking your dog to training classes? Your dog needs daily training - basically she has no idea what you expect of her because you haven't shown her. It can even be PetSmart/Petco classes - 8wks, $99.

Are you willing to be the alpha of this dog? Are you willing to not let anything be negotiable? Can you stand with your shoulders square? Are you prepared to limit your pup's freedoms while giving her extra time in obedience sessions and exercise (mind & body) sessions on a daily basis. Are you a pack leader? If you are wishy washy, your pup's aggression and bad behavior will continue.

I'm sure others will give you specific advice - there is much to say to help you.

I just wanted to jump and tell you that you do need help, fast!

At this point and with the behaviors you mentioned, I would only have your 11yo be responsible for feeding the dog. You should do all her training, but with your son by your side so he can learn what is expected and how to ask your dog to do things. Your dog has become the pack leader because no one else took on the role.

If you can do this, if you can commit to this, you can have an awesome relationship with your dog. How old is she now?

Thank you for your quick response. I thought I was the pack leader and her behavior was just her being a high energy puppy. Maybe I'm not being big enough. Bindi is 6 mos old now. I've kept her attached to me from the start. She is always on the leash, even in the house. I've just recently (last few days) allowed her to be off the leash and roam around the house. My thinking was it would give her something to do instead of just sit by my side while I'm doing whatever. I am willing to go forward with her classes. I know I need to work with her every day and I've been bad about that. I'm hoping this site will help keep me accountable.

This is what I want from my dog: I want her to sit and look happily at the camera like the other dogs on this site are doing. I want to allow her off the leash and trust that she isn't going to take off on me or jump all over whoever or whatever is around. I want her to behave and be a good citizen. All of these things are definitely do-able with her and I know it will take time and training. Question is, when can I expect her to settle down a bit? Are we talking years?

Bindi Mom

The settle down depends on the dog. Your expectations are very attainable. Keep in mind that a tired dog is a good dog.

As far as your dog jumping, that's not just energy that's being rude. You can teach your dog to sit before anyone pets her. My BC, River will sit immediately upon approaching any person because I trained her that way. If she wasn't sitting and instead jumping like a bean, she didn't get my attention. She caught on pretty quick - and applies it to everyone - it's awesome (my first dog that I have taught this and I LOVE it!)

Much of what you said in your original post said to me that your pup hasn't been trained yet.

I'm so glad you are taking classes. Yes keep going!! Make sure you practice at home AND out and about.

Keeping her with you isn't a problem, but if you make sure she has had some fun before you settle down she will be a sleeping pup at your feet and have no need to amuse herself. Does she fetch? Play fetch, have her sit or down sometimes before you throw the ball again - make sure you ask one time (assuming she already know them). This helps her concentrate on you and focus her energy. Play for 5-10 mins - however long her endurance is, stop just before she is ready to stop, so you control the game. Then you can take her inside with you. She'll plop down and you can teach her 'settle' which is quiet time (good command for later use).

Everything you do with her is teaching. Sit before this, stay before I put your food bowl down, etc. NILIF is a great program for you to model with this pup. (nothing in life is free) Example site explaining this: http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

It might be helpful if you told us what dog experience you do have and what you have worked on with Bindi so we don't give you ideas you already know or have done :rolleyes:

Yes, some dogs take the first 2 years to settle down, some NEVER. But if your pup learns fast, is attentive and you are an automated treat machine for all her good behavior, it will come faster. :D

I have a 6 month old pup that exhibited the same behaviors at first, the whole snapping, nipping, growling thing when she was asked to behave or especially when being pushed down when she was jumping up on people, other animals etc.

I use the same trick the dog whisperer uses, grab pup by the back of the neck, scruff, shoulder whatever and get her down on her side then stand over her holding her down NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF FUSS she throws, do not let her up until she is totally relaxed and giving into your dominance. It WORKS only took a couple of times and this pup decided it wasnt' so fun to try to be the dominant one. She no longer has any signs of aggressiveness.

If shes anything like my pup she will scream like you're killing her the first couple of times, don't fall for it and let her up, just be patient and keep her down, it is definitely worth it.

As far as energy goes, I am the proud leader of 8 borders, all with very different personalities. My ten year old has never and I mean never settled down, my nine year old is the most relaxed border I have ever known, was from the beginning. My five year olds range from slightly wound up happy go lucky to, just plain crazy ( she herds imaginery sheep for gods sake!) My one year olds are hyper at first but calm down quickly when they have been worked. And my 6 month old pup is hype when playing but very relaxed in the car etc. so very easy to manage.

All my dogs are worked or exercised daily, this keeps them from forming any crazy border collie obsessions. I can take all eight out at once and do so every day to just run and play with me and each other and they listen and behave. This is what it means to be the pack leader.

It takes work to be a pack leader, so keep at it. watch dog whisperer if you get him on T.V. alot of his stuff really makes since. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There are lots of people here just waiting to help.

Good luck with your pup, and don't give up!

a simple 6 week class will be a big difference. I always screened heavily & tried to talk people out of buying my puppies. They have to have some kind of a job or they will find one of their own- probably one you don't like- barking, digging, etc.... border collies aren't for everyone, but a simple class will bond you and you will be happy and have a happy dog- Good Luck!!! Once trained- a border collie will be the best dog you ever had. Not trained, it will be the worst.

I use the same trick the dog whisperer uses, grab pup by the back of the neck, scruff, shoulder whatever and get her down on her side then stand over her holding her down NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF FUSS she throws, do not let her up until she is totally relaxed and giving into your dominance. It WORKS only took a couple of times and this pup decided it wasnt' so fun to try to be the dominant one. She no longer has any signs of aggressiveness.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone do this without having personally met both the dog and the owner. Firstly not every dog needs this and secondly, it CAN backfire into a bad thing if the dog is reactive instead of submissive and/or the owner isn't as alpha as they think they are.

As far as the biting goes we have to teach all pups not to bite. When Bindi bites grab her muzzle and hold it, say no bite in a low tone.

She won't stop after the first time so you have to keep it up. She will catch on so don't give up.

I would also suggest exercising Bindi, both physical and mental exercises will calm her down.

You have to commit to doing what is best for the dog or she will see right through you.

This is what I want from my dog: I want her to sit and look happily at the camera like the other dogs on this site are doing. I want to allow her off the leash and trust that she isn't going to take off on me or jump all over whoever or whatever is around. I want her to behave and be a good citizen. All of these things are definitely do-able with her and I know it will take time and training. Question is, when can I expect her to settle down a bit? Are we talking years?

Bindi Mom

Ok, deep breath.

You have a very young pup. She sounds like a normal, energetic border collie pup (adorable, BTW & looks all BC to me). Jumping and nipping are NORMAL puppy behaviors. They do not mean she is aggressive or is trying to take over your household. It doesn't mean you have to grab her by the neck, hold her down and prove you're boss. She needs you to be a kind leader to her.

Your goals are attainable, but not in a 6 month old puppy. Don't expect so much out of her at this point. Give it time and lots of work. Good dogs don't just happen overnight, and they don't happen without your making a committment to showing her what you want.

Here' are my recommendations:

--Training, training, training. Get her into a class now. Take what you learn in class and practice at home. Teach your son how to work with her (as you supervise). She doesn't know what is expected of her. Teach her to sit politely for petting. Teach her that nipping at you results in no playtime. If she starts to nip, fold your arms and turn your back to her. Redirect the nipping to a toy, teach her to play tug instead. There is so much you can do. She's like a little sponge at this age, give her things to learn. The added benefit to this training is that it will mentally tire her out.

--Start "nothing in life is free" with her. That just means she earns things. For example, she must sit before going out the door, lie down before getting her dinner. If she brings a toy to play or wants to be petted, ask her to do something for you first. You are showing her you are the leader by controlling the resources. You can be a leader in this way, without resorting to physical corrections. (I wanted to add that the growling when you grabbed her off of jumping on your son, was probably just a startled response. The same thing happened to me recently with my 8 month old puppy, and I realized what happened was that I grabbed him from behind and scared him. He didn't realize it was me or what was happening). Make sure that you don't over-react to her misbehaviors. If you yell or flail your arms around, it's likely to get her even more excited (more nipping and jumping). Try to be a quiet, calm leader.

--Speaking of tiring her out, a tired puppy is a good puppy. It sounds like she could use more excercise and mental stimulation.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now. Please don't get discouraged with your darling girl. You have the potential for a great dog there, it will happen! Have patience and good luck!

**ETA-Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized you already took her to basic obedience. From the sounds of things, I'd repeat it, or try another training facility. But it won't do any good if you don't follow through at home. Good luck!

I have to disagree w/ Linda - a more effective way to correct biting is to "yelp" and then ignore the pup for about 30 seconds (by either leaving the room if they can be prevented from following you, or standing stock still and making NO eye contact whatsoever as SOON as she nips). Linda's method assumes that the pup knows "no bite" and actually gives the pup attention, which is very reinforcing regardless of whether it is positive or not.

Raising River is spot on - NILIF will be a life saver, as will increased exercise, both mental and physical.

For jumping work, I generally will start by tying the dog to a sturdy object, then approaching. As soon as the dog tries to jump, I walk away. Rinse, repeat until the dog will remain w/ four feet on the floor when you approach and give significant praise, perhaps a good treat as well the first few times. I then do the same thing but ask for (or wait for) a sit before the dog gets attention. Like biting, dogs are reinforced for jumping by being given attention whether good or bad, so the most effective method controls their access to attention. Once she's reliably sitting when you approach have other family members do the same thing, then close friends/extended family, then random strangers on the street w/ you acting as the sturdy object. Good training classes are full of willing strangers btw. :rolleyes:

Oh, the six-month-old crazies - I'm beginning to know them well. :D The innocent looking baby in my avatar is now six and a half months old and a hooligan. :D I have a four year old BC who is a paragon of virtue, so they must grow out of this stage at some point, but I adopted Violet as an adult so I can't say when that point occurs. :D Anyway, there are several of us on here going through this stage, so maybe we should form a support group. :D

Faith and I did the little PetsMart class too, she caught on very quickly but just isn't terribly reliable right now. The only things I really expect from her consistently are, as said before, to sit for attention, to lie down when told, and a reasonable recall. The last seems to fall completely apart at this age, IME and from reading other's posts, so I'm working with a long line (25 ft light cord on a swivel snap) and tying knots in it so I can stop her and reel her back easily if I have to.

Does Bindi have other dogs to play with? Violet helps me a great deal in burning off some of Faith's extra energy and in teaching her manners, too.

My only advice really is that this too shall pass. :D If Bindi were a human, she'd be about your son's age right now. Just be calm and consistent - and don't do anything heinous like flinging her to the floor and "alpha rolling" her :rolleyes: - and she'll grow up to be a responsible citizen. Really.

Thank you all for your awesome advice and support. This morning I feel like I can do this. I love Bindi and want other people to love her too. Right now, it's just me. :D

I've had 2 other dogs in my life: Bailey was a German Shepherd/Sheltie mix. She was my first dog, a Christmas puppy gift from my DH, and absolutely perfect. She was active, gentle, smart, patient and obedient and I don't remember ever training her. We lost Bailey to a stroke 5 years ago. Then there was Kellie. She was a Yellow Lab/Chow mix and we inherited her, as an adult dog, from my in-laws after my dear MIL passed away 11 years ago. She was also gentle, patient and pretty much obedient (didn't recall at all, but was super slow so I could always catch her :rolleyes: ). Kellie was great. In her later years she would just lounge around the house all day and night, allow the kids to roll on her, etc. We lost Kellie 2 years ago to bone cancer. So, I guess my experience with dogs is pretty limited. I haven't had to train so this is pretty much new. I am a sponge though. I watch and love The Dog Whisperer and have used his methods on Bindi.

What I've learned today is the training never stops all day and that she doesn't get anything without giving something first. I know training works. Bindi will stay in her kennel until I invite her out so she is trainable. I just need to keep at it and not get frustrated. I'll keep checking in and giving updates.

Thanks again for all of the support. I really really appreciate it.

Mary (AKA Bindi Mom)

I don't want to start a Cesar Milan debate (again!), but I really, really encourage you to check out some training information from other sources, also. There is a whole world of positive reinforcement training that doesn't get the TV coverage that CM gets, unfortunately.

Just to see for yourself that there are alternatives, check out anything by Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, Jean Donaldson, just to name a few. Clicker training is really cool, too. If you want to try that, read anything by Karen Pryor.

Guest WoobiesMom

I agree with the dominance down technique that others have described. I had to do it pretty consistently with my terrier for almost the first 3 years of his life, he was a very dominant dog. We were taught by the breeder to have every family member do it (children with assistance and supervision of adults) and not just when he was being naughty but whenever, just to show the pup who the bosses were. My youngest child, my daughter of 5 at the time, ended up being the biggest alpha with him.

With my new pup, Woobie (7mos.), I've only had to do the dominance down a couple times and now if I scruff his neck slightly and tell him down, he lies down on his side and will settle for a minute or so. (He's much smarter than my terrier!) I've found the best approach to his crazy time is exercise during the day (we're limiting to an hour a day right now) and several short training sessions to make him concentrate and burn off some mental energy. If we spend about 30 minutes playing fetch and clicker training when he gets crazy, it distracts him and he'll settle down.

I also press down on his tongue if he puts his teeth on me. Doing this consistently for a couple days has stopped him from mouthing and nipping me. My daughter isn't consistent and he still does it to her, so sticking with it is key.

Good luck!

I agree with the dominance down technique that others have described. I had to do it pretty consistently with my terrier for almost the first 3 years of his life, he was a very dominant dog. We were taught by the breeder to have every family member do it (children with assistance and supervision of adults) and not just when he was being naughty but whenever, just to show the pup who the bosses were. My youngest child, my daughter of 5 at the time, ended up being the biggest alpha with him.

Umm, that is very unsound advice. Truly dominent dogs do not stand for someone picking (random alpha rolling) on them. It is a good way to get bit. There are far better ways to be the alpha than rolling. NILIF is one of those ways

I do agree with some of CM's techniques, but do check out some of the other books mentioned. Clicker training is a great way to motivate your dog to want to learn and strengthen your relationship with her. And remember, there is no "one size fits all" method of dog training, and the more you read, the better you will be able to find a way (or a combination) that works for your dog.

Can you join a herding club in your area? Perhaps your pup would benefit from lots of physical exercise. Maybe a dog park nearby to run off her energy? Definitely continue the Petsmart classes. Also clicker training is helpful. Can your kids join 4H clubs in your area? They should have a good dog obedience program. Or maybe the Parks and Rec. Department this summer. The key is to keep her mind active. Our girls enjoy playing ball. I find that we can play ball even while sitting and watching TV, eating, in the bathroom, doing chores. You sound very determined. Also there are good videos in the library on training, herding, agility, flyball, etc. Good luck. N

Can you join a herding club in your area? Perhaps your pup would benefit from lots of physical exercise. Maybe a dog park nearby to run off her energy? Definitely continue the Petsmart classes. Also clicker training is helpful. Can your kids join 4H clubs in your area? They should have a good dog obedience program. Or maybe the Parks and Rec. Department this summer. The key is to keep her mind active. Our girls enjoy playing ball. I find that we can play ball even while sitting and watching TV, eating, in the bathroom, doing chores. You sound very determined. Also there are good videos in the library on training, herding, agility, flyball, etc. Good luck. N

I haven't ventured to a dog park with Bindi. I'm afraid she will be so excited to play that she will end up starting a dog fight. Whenever we meet other dogs while walking she has such bad manners that the dogs snarl and growl at her. We have an old airport by our house that is fenced and open. I take her up there and let her run off the leash whenever I can. It's nice to have that space close by.

I haven't looked in to a herding club or 4H club yet. I thought it would be better to have her trained before joining anything.

Keep the advice coming!

Mary

Bindi Mom, please don't alpha-roll your puppy or hold her down as punishment. This can and often does backfire, resulting in a bite from a confused, scared or pissed-off pup.

You need to allow your puppy to be a puppy. Complete obedience is nice, as is perfect manners, but I'm convinced that sometimes dogs just need time to be completely uninhibited dogs. Keep in mind that all of the things your puppy is doing are natural dog behaviors. They are not born knowing human language or morals so they must be taught the right way to do things. I think she could benefit by some time offlead in a secure area, just to run around and be a puppy - no nagging, no training, just a dog doing dog things.

As for other dogs growling and snarling at her, I honestly think that they're just correcting her as dogs do. She's breaking some doggy code by being obnoxious and they're putting her in her place. Occasionally you do find a downright hateful dog that wants to kill your dog, but if you can meet some nice dogs and organize play dates with them, that will help her a lot.

RaisingRiver, MaggieDog and PSmitty in particular have given you great advice. Good luck!

I agree with PSmitty (sp?)

I am defiantely NOT a fan of CM, and encourage you to check out those books mentioned, especially 'Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson. FANTASTIC book! Please do not alpha roll your puppy!

Good luck!

Guest WoobiesMom

There are very different opinions of the alpha roll technique (as you can see). Some swear by it and some do not. I think it depends on your dog and I definitely don't recommend its use on older dogs that could give you a serious bite. If your puppy is already biting you and you're not on your way to the hospital, I think the risk of a serious bite is low, but only you know your dog. I have seen this method used by momma dogs on pups, they push the pup down by the scruff of the neck and hold them down until they settle, and the pup does. I've also seen older female dogs using the same technique on rambunctious pups at the dog park, afterwards the pup behaves more appropriately with the dogs that have scruffed them a bit, so I think there is some merit to its use. YMMV and only you will discover thru trial and error the trick that works best with your dog.

And FWIW, I never used it to punish or pick on my dogs, but rather as a calming technique. When they were first struggling (only the first 3-5 rolls), I did not just pin them down and let them struggle but held them in place firmly but gently while saying in a calm soothing voice "Ssshhhhhh, caaaallllmmmm dooowwwwnn, ssshhhhhhh, qqquiiiiieeettt" and once they stopped struggling, they get a nice pet down and massage. After a few times, they knew it was the signal to settle down and also that if they did, something positive (soothing talk, petting, and massage) was coming. It was a great lead in to getting them into position for nail clips as well. I also use the NILF on Woobie every minute of the day but it doesn't address his crazy time in the evening, so I've had to come up with alternatives. I have had better success with making sure I have time available to interact with him during the time after sundown that I know he'll be crazy. It only takes about 30 minutes and he's good to go, so it becomes one of our play/training times.

I agree with PSmitty (sp?)

I am defiantely NOT a fan of CM, and encourage you to check out those books mentioned, especially 'Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson. FANTASTIC book! Please do not alpha roll your puppy!

Good luck!

Hi guys,

Not wanting to get into a debate about CM for or against, :rolleyes: I just want to point out that Cesar, in reference to the 'alpha roll', writes in his book:

"Although I personally practice it in my work rehabilitating severely unbalanced and aggressive dogs, I caution anyone who isn't a professional -- or at least extremely experienced in dog behavior and aggression -- never, ever to forcibly put a dog on its side. With a dominant or aggressive dog, someone who is inexperienced could easily be bitten, mauled, or attacked. This is serious stuff, life-threatening stuff. If your dog is exhibiting the kind of behavior problems that require this kind of correction, then you should be consulting a professional, anyway. You should not be on your own in attempting to restore discipline to a dog that's this far gone in terms of dominance or aggression."

-Cesar's Way, pg. 223

In other words, this so called 'alpha roll' is only used in extreme cases of behavioural aggression and of course never with a puppy.

Hi guys,

Not wanting to get into a debate about CM for or against, :rolleyes: I just want to point out that Cesar, in reference to the 'alpha roll', writes in his book:

"Although I personally practice it in my work rehabilitating severely unbalanced and aggressive dogs, I caution anyone who isn't a professional -- or at least extremely experienced in dog behavior and aggression -- never, ever to forcibly put a dog on its side. With a dominant or aggressive dog, someone who is inexperienced could easily be bitten, mauled, or attacked. This is serious stuff, life-threatening stuff. If your dog is exhibiting the kind of behavior problems that require this kind of correction, then you should be consulting a professional, anyway. You should not be on your own in attempting to restore discipline to a dog that's this far gone in terms of dominance or aggression."

-Cesar's Way, pg. 223

In other words, this so called 'alpha roll' is only used in extreme cases of behavioural aggression and of course never with a puppy.

My point: The alpha roll is not necessary with a puppy. How could it be? I'm really tired of the heated debate about Cesar Millan here, which is mostly against. When I first joined this discussion I mentioned that I use some of his methods and I was immediately "corrected" :D The detractors pick a couple of things he says, out of context, and jump on them.

He talks, in his book, Cesar's Way. about the psychology of dogs, understanding them. He doesn't deal with the basics of training, how to teach sit, down, stay, etc. He works from the top down, instead of from the bottom up. He talks about us, our attitude, our approach. Our 'communication' with our dogs.

And from my experience, it's our attitude that dictates events. I know this in my daily life with my pup. He, my pup knows exactly how I feel, what my level of confidence is, etc and reacts accordingly.

Cesar talks about an 'energy' that comes from us and that dogs recognize and will respond to. I know this to be true. From my intuition and from my scientific study of animal behaviour. We are animals to.....remember.

I like the guy. I like his approach. I like his attitude. I like his understanding.

So what if he has become a celebrity. Does this automatically make him another 'Hollywood nut'. Take each case on it's

own merit. He, Cesar, didn't look for Hollywood, they came to him. Not his fault, eh.

If you knew something, and you were really good at doing it, and Hollywood approached you and said we will publicize you, give you a tv show, what would you do? If you wanted to get your message across and they agreed to pay you big bucks, would you not say: well sure, ok.

My point is, that this guy knows what he is talking about and he didn't intend to make a huge living at doing this, but this is what came to him. Doesn't take away from the point that he knows what he is talking about and btw proves it consistantly.

I've read numerous books about dogs. How to train, etc. When I read Cesar Milan's book, I felt that here was someone who I could relate to. I understand what he is saying. What he says makes sense to me, intuitively. My trainer whom I respect totally, would agree. He likes Cesar Milan. My trainer is not only the best dog trainer ever, he is also a wolf biologist (in the field) who also, if this is be possible, understands wolves.

He also has border collies and his BC's win all of the obedience trials, no question. If Fred has one of his dogs in the event, everyone says: well maybe I can try for second.

I'm really enjoying and learning a lot from the discussion on this thread.

I want to clarify one thing: Bindi isn't by nature aggressive. She has only gone after me in what I would consider an aggressive manner once. I rolled her over and held her down while holding her muzzle closed until she submitted. Don't get me wrong, once is too many but it's also not too many that I can't control the situation and behavior. What she mostly does is nip at hands or ears or whatever is closest to her little mouth. The first thing I tried was holding her tongue and bottom jaw and saying no bite - I saw no change for weeks. Next I tried holding her muzzle closed and saying in a low voice no bite - again, no change for weeks. We are now on to Binaca spray. When she nips, she gets a squirt. If she does it again she gets 2 squirts and so on. The trainer said not to say anything because saying no bite means at some point bite is ok and we don't want biting of any kind.She hasn't figured out that she can't mouth us at any time. I'm trying to be patient and work on it but I want the nipping to stop.

I also have done the alpha roll on many occasions. This is what was recommended at our basic obedience class to show her that I'm the big dog in the house. They also recommended holding her under her front legs, from behind, and up on her back legs. The trainer said this is another way to show dominance. They recommended my boys do that to her as well (with my supervision). She goes limp for me and my oldest DS and lets us hold her that way as long as we want. She isn't as compliant with my youngest DS so we just continue to work at it so she knows he is not a litter mate.

I will read some of the recommended books and websites and am trying to learn as much as I can. I do like Cesar Milan though. I understand what he is saying and it makes sense to me. I'm a visual person so seeing him in action is helpful.

Mary

I'm really enjoying and learning a lot from the discussion on this thread.

I want to clarify one thing: Bindi isn't by nature aggressive. She has only gone after me in what I would consider an aggressive manner once. I rolled her over and held her down while holding her muzzle closed until she submitted. Don't get me wrong, once is too many but it's also not too many that I can't control the situation and behavior. What she mostly does is nip at hands or ears or whatever is closest to her little mouth. The first thing I tried was holding her tongue and bottom jaw and saying no bite - I saw no change for weeks. Next I tried holding her muzzle closed and saying in a low voice no bite - again, no change for weeks. We are now on to Binaca spray. When she nips, she gets a squirt. If she does it again she gets 2 squirts and so on. The trainer said not to say anything because saying no bite means at some point bite is ok and we don't want biting of any kind.She hasn't figured out that she can't mouth us at any time. I'm trying to be patient and work on it but I want the nipping to stop.

I also have done the alpha roll on many occasions. This is what was recommended at our basic obedience class to show her that I'm the big dog in the house. They also recommended holding her under her front legs, from behind, and up on her back legs. The trainer said this is another way to show dominance. They recommended my boys do that to her as well (with my supervision). She goes limp for me and my oldest DS and lets us hold her that way as long as we want. She isn't as compliant with my youngest DS so we just continue to work at it so she knows he is not a litter mate.

I will read some of the recommended books and websites and am trying to learn as much as I can. I do like Cesar Milan though. I understand what he is saying and it makes sense to me. I'm a visual person so seeing him in action is helpful.

Mary

You, and Bindi, with your attitude and approach will do just fine.

Hang in.

best to you both. What a wonderful future you will have together.