BC Boards

My delimma

Why does this happen to me? lol -- I FINALLY get Rivens hair grown out a bit and looking good. I need her nails trimmed. Instead of taking her to the groomer who shaved her last year (against my instructions), I think I'll be smart and go to the vet. But the vet wanted $30 just to cut her nails... that is double the price the groomer charged last year!!! So I call around and find a boarding kennel/groomer. She says its only $5 to clip her nails. So back Riven goes to get her nails clipped. Then I hear it... the sound of snipping.... scissors.. and to my horror this lady just clipped Rivens fur off one of her paws. The long messy fur is gone!!! Im like no no no... but by now Riven has 1 trimmed paw, and 3 furry paws.... I ended up taking Riven and leaving... so now Im debating, should I trim the other paws? Should I just leave it and let it grow lol... What would you guys do?

Instead of taking her to the groomer who shaved her last year (against my instructions),

Then I hear it... the sound of snipping.... scissors.. and I look over and to my horror this lady just clipped Rivens fur off one of her paws, and is combing the 2nd one to clip. The long messy fur is gone!!! Im like no no no... but by now Riven has 1 trimmed paw, and 3 furry paws.... I ended up taking Riven and leaving... so now Im debating, should I trim the other paws? Should I just leave it and let it grow lol... What would you guys do?

Do you mean that you haven't done her toe nails in a year :rolleyes:

OK, I admit, I don't like a unkempt foot. My dogs come inside, with the hair on their feet the dirt/mud/junk comes with them. Not here. I trim the foot, and clean out the pad area as well. I'd just as soon leave the dirt outside! Maybe once a month I trim the hair and once a week the toe nails.

You can trim the nails yourself though can't you? It's not hard, really! I dremel a couple of my dogs as they grow nails like witches claws!

Karen

I've NO idea, honest...because I don't know how bad it looks and how much it bothers you. It sure won't bother her...but then you never know with these guys :rolleyes: .

I'd clip the nails myself, especially if these people tend to get carried away like that! Kessie's only need clipping when there's a lot of soft snow for a long time. I just rub her belly, play with her feet a little, and clip little pieces off the nails. She doesn't mind.

Kyla hates having her feet handled (wiggle, wiggle) so we don't sit her down for a Big Scary Nail Clipping Session, but I clip a little bit off a nail whenever I can get away with it ...normally in the evening, when she's lying on the couch with us and having her upside down zoomies (and chewing on me - I never knew I was so tasty!). That way they stay short.

Do you mean that you haven't done her toe nails in a year :rolleyes:

You can trim the nails yourself though can't you? It's not hard, really! I dremel a couple of my dogs as they grow nails like witches claws!

Karen

LOL no I had her nails done at the groomers (I just freak every time she's there) in November LOL... I HATE long doggie nails. Im afraid of hurting her, thats the only reason I am not the one trimming them.

I guess I could just trim the rest of the feet, but I LOVE the furry toes!!! lol... plus we camp a lot at the sand dunes here and Im wondering if the fur would help the paws from getting burnt.

You could leave the 3 and pretend she has a doggie injury which is why one paw was clipped.

Next time, give explicit instructions to cut not 1 hair from your dog while having nails done - no matter where you go. wowers.

I do all the dogs myself and have mostly black nails to work with.

I think Im just gonna have to make sure to set instructions up front on no trimming, then stand there and never take my eyes off them. What are the odds of this happening twice in less than a year?? Well at least this time I didnt come back to a shaved lab looking dog lol

One Word..

Dremel ... (not spelled right, but eh...)

I use one on wicket and Shelby....

as for the fur, I would cut it, keep her from getting stuff stuck in it and tracking dirt and whatnot into the house :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I just use a guillotine clipper and clip 2 times a week, because Joy has the fastest growing claws on the face of the planet. I also have a nice nail file to file them down also. Haven't quick them once.

I personally think it's worth it to bring Riven to the vet and have them put him under and quick all of his nails. They sound quite long, and it makes the quick recede so it's easier for clippings when you do it.

I'd trim it, but I keep my dogs' feet trimmed on a regular basis. You may not like that look.

Next time, give VERY specific instructions that you do not want any of her hair cut. At all. ONLY nails. Repeat it as much as you have to until the groomer acts like they get it. You have no idea how much it is drilled into a groomer's head to TRIM THE FEET! I trained for several months and I got verbally butchered if I didn't trim the feet on the dogs that came in just for a brushing or nail trim. So you may have to say it more than once, but get your point across.

Personally I trim my dogs' feet. I just like "neat" feet and especially with all the rain (which equals mud), neat feet mean less (there's always some) dirt coming in my house.

On the one hand, I'm kind of appalled that they trimmed her foot without asking when she was just there for a nail trim. That's just...odd in my opinion.

On the other hand, you say she's really difficult for nail trims? Coming from a vet tech perspective, honestly I think you should trim her feet if she's going to be that bad for nail trims. It can be pretty frustrating to try and wrestle with a dog that doesn't want her feet touched -and- has really long foot hair, since then you have more trouble seeing the nails and how long they are through all the fur. I would still never trim the hair without asking, but there are plenty of times when you sure wish you could. So...that or learn to do her nails yourself. :rolleyes:

I got a nail trimmer for Fergie and used it about every other month for a few years. But, as she walks on pavement and grass and stuff about 4-6 times a day, we have not seen the need to do any trimming for ages.

That said, she just had her teeth cleaned. And they trimmed her nails for free. Not that we thought there was a need. But, for free, it's OK.

Poor Riven! Luckily, because we live in the city and have lots of concrete, there hasn't been a need to cut his nails since last summer when we took him to Petsmart for a $7 pedicure. Ok, I also haven't given my dog a bath since November, but you've seen "dry" pics of him, he REALY IS clean, despite his countless swimms in the lakes and mud baths! :rolleyes:

Hm, $30? That sure must have been the extra wiggly fee, because it's only $8 at the vets in Every-thing-costs-more-here-ville!

But since Daisy runs on sand all the time and walks on the sidewalks, her claws never need to be trimmed, they wear themselves down plenty enough. Since Riven dislikes it so much, maybe there's a nice sandy place to play with her?

Personally, no expert here tho', I would leave the fur as there must be a reason why it is there.... I don't care for the aesthetic reason for having it cut. And dirt washes off. And I would learn how to cut her nails especially if she doesn't like it. I think if it takes 2 people to hold her, that really isn't fair to her and may escalate her anxiety. I think if you searched, you can find ways to make/train cutting her nails a positive experience. I do Dylan myself and he is fine - he rolls over so I can get the right angle :rolleyes: Good luck. It will also save you money !!