BC Boards

It's Lark's birthday today!

Julie, I fear we can officially put to rest the hope that Lark will "grow into those ears."

:rolleyes:

Happy birthday Lark!

Ben's birthday will be in two days - he's getting two birthday presents, one is some nice butcher leftoevers from Julie's flock. The other is the fact that Cord is officially on two weeks of crate rest and Ben's my Main Man unless we can get Patrick's new dog here in that time.

"As for Lark, at a year old she's still little enough to squeeze through field fence, through little slots in gates, and underneath them, so it's always an adventure taking her to the farm and preventing her from freelancing the minute my attention is elsewhere (something her mom was also famous--or infamous--for)."

Ah, but would you have it any other way? My two 8 month olds are forever bringing the cows to me when I'm busy feeding the horse or whatever...and as irritating as that can be, it's also the coolest thing ever!

Anna

Lark is striking though all her stages of growth. I am envious that your pup has prick ears. I had hoped my Lyn would have them, as her dam did, but it was not to be.

Lark is a beautiful tri.

And I wouldn't "worry" about her size. Lyn was 3 years old last September and was then and is now 28 #. She held her own at the Nursery Finals last fall so the sheep must have thought she was big enough!

Happy birthday Lark.

Anna,

You're right, I'd rather she be that keen, but I'm not keen about the freelancing as it teaches her that she can work stock without a human involved. (That is, I might be over in the barn moving hay when she takes herself off to the field to work on her own.... Her dam did that a lot as a pup--since she could even jump through the top opening of a wire-covered gate--and it has caused some training issues, that is, not thinking it's necessary to include the human in the picture). Now if I'm in the barn and she brings me the sheep, my biggest concern would be how she got the sheep through the fence! :eek:

Carolyn,

I actually prefer a smaller dog, all other things being equal. Though I have to admit that when I've worked her on range-sized ewes, you just have to judge by the sheep are doing what the dog is doing, because there's no seeing her back there! :D (Oh, and I love a smooth-coated, prick eared dog, but it looks like the Twist pups I kept aren't going to reward me in that department either. Well, Pip is smooth and his ears do stand some, but they haven't decided what they're going to do. Phoebe is rough and appears to have settled on being airplane-eared. :rolleyes: Well, as long as they're good workers it's okay!)

J.

Julie: Yes, freeelancing can be a pain. I guess I'm lucky--my place is just one big pasture (well, big by southern CA standards!), so when mine freelance, they just gather tham and bring them to me wherever I am.

Anna

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Phoebe is rough and appears to have settled on being airplane-eared. :rolleyes:

Well since she has a rough coat and those pesky airplane ears, I suppose she could come live with us.

And a happy belated birthday to my Larky-poo... she's a sweetie! (who we will also make an exception for)

(btw, this is Brian)