BC Boards

Car sickness?

We were headed up to Denver yesterday for Easter, about 2 hours away, with Mir in the backseat. We got about halfway there and the weather was really bad so we turned around (we've been having a lot of snow and ice storms). About 3/4 of the way home, when she had been in the car for maybe 90 minutes, Mirage yakked up all of her food from the day before (since she hadn't eaten yet today). She often gets carsick on trips where we drive straight through for an hour or so, but never if she's in the car when I run errands. I'm sure that the answer will be no, but is there ANY way to treat her carsickness? We love bringing her to my parents (in Denver) because they have a much larger yard and two dogs for her to play with and she has a GREAT time, so we'd like to see if there's a way we can make her not puke! TIA!!

- Brooke -

I think you can use Dramamine (or something similar) for carsickness in dogs, but you'd have to do a search (or have someone post) to find out the dosage and if it's actually useful. Barfy dogs are not comfy and they sure aren't fun to have in the car!

Best wishes!

Ginger snaps also. Thanks to Bordercentrics for the suggestion! :rolleyes:

You mean like feed her gingersnap cookies? I know ginger is good for tummies, so I'm surprised I never thought of that!! Like just a couple, like treats?

Thanks for the Dramamine suggestion too. If nobody posts about a dosage, I'll ask her vet next time we see him.

- Brooke -

Years ago, I had a Sheltie that barely made it 5 minutes before he was gagging. He drooled, gagged, barfed, you name it - very nervous type guy. I used Dramamine (just like you get at the drug store for people), but don't remember the dosage. Ask your vet about it - not sure if it matters how old they are or not. You have to give it so long before you leave (ideally), too, but don't remember - been over 10 years, and I'm doing good to remember 5 minutes ago (I've been feeding 6 orphan kittens from day one for over a week and am very sleep deprived). Dramamine helped Sable, but wasn't a cure-all. Not sure what it'd do for one that doesn't get sick until well into the trip. Maybe it's the driver (or roads)? We had that joke in my family - my parents had a Sheltie (brother to mine that got sick) and he would lose it on long trips when my dad drove (I've ridden with him many times - his driving could make anyone lose it). Good luck. It might get better with time and more trips, too.

As she barfed all over the backseat, I assume she is not crated. Have you considered a harness?

It's also a lot safer than a loose dog if you should - goddess prevent - have an accident. I get so upset about the ads in the "Lost" column about a dog that took off in panic after a car accident. Only a few ever get home.

i just found out that clover gets carsick too, but thankfully not to barfing yet. From my personal experience if you get car/seasick you can just close your eyes. Maybe you could try to put her in crate so that he wont be able to look outside the window

Ollie used to be carsick after 2 mins, and in the Uk they sell a spray that you spray in the car that calms the dogs, and (fingers crossed) stops the sickness! It worked for me! I dont know if you can get it wear you are, and at this moment cant think of the name, so im prob not being much use! Sorry and Good Luck!!

this might sound to simple, but for our sheltie mix , who gets really pukey in the car as well, we crack the back windows for him and believe it or not, it has worked, no more puking if he can get some fresh air or stick his head out of the window.

Guest LJS1993
i just found out that clover gets carsick too, but thankfully not to barfing yet. From my personal experience if you get car/seasick you can just close your eyes. Maybe you could try to put her in crate so that he wont be able to look outside the window

I don't know about the closing your eyes thing. From my understanding car/motion sickness has more to do with the inner ear then it does seeing outside the window.

As she barfed all over the backseat, I assume she is not crated. Have you considered a harness?

It's also a lot safer than a loose dog if you should - goddess prevent - have an accident. I get so upset about the ads in the "Lost" column about a dog that took off in panic after a car accident. Only a few ever get home.

I would LOVE to put her in a crate, but alas drive a Subaru Impreza (not the wagon) which makes that impossible. I got the car before I got the dog, but I know the next one is going to be a wagon with room for her in back. I've been wanting to get her a doggie seat belt though. I know it would be best in an accident, but I'm worried she'd freak out because she couldn't put her head out the window. But I suppose her safety is more important, so she'll have to learn to deal with it! She LOVES to ride in the car if it's a short trip with the windows down. We couldn't have the windows down yesterday because of the snow.

- Brooke -

Fergie, in her harness, can stick her nose out the back window - and bark like crazy at cows, horses, goats, and geese.

OK, she does seem to ignore sheep.

but I'm worried she'd freak out because she couldn't put her head out the window.

I use seat belts for my dogs and Celt can stick his head out the window if I have it open. The ones I use (PetBuckle) have tethers or can be attached directly to the human seat belt (in its snapped shut position). However, I only have the window open far enough for his head when I am on country roads and going slow. On faster roads, I may only leave the window open just far enough for his nose. Faster yet, and the window is shut tight.

I would be particularly fanatic about using a restraining device like a seat belt if I was going to have the window open more than a very few inches.

Yes just feed 2-3 gingersnaps about 20-30 mins before leaving. This way they can hit the stomache and do their job.

The dog seat belts aren't that exspensive and they sell them at Petcon and Petsmart. You can look them up online. Definately worth it!!

My sister's cat gets carsick every time we put her in the car (need to take her to the lake every summer) and the vet reccommended 1/2 a children's Gravol. This didn't work, but it made her foam at the mouth when she ate it (

). Then the vet gave us a sedative for her (don't remember what it was called) and it made her very sleepy, but she still ended up puking... and taking a crap in the car. :rolleyes: If anyone knows something to make a cat stop puking..... :D