BC Boards

Ear Licking??

Peanut (shih tzu) sometimes (like right now) goes crazy for Dazzle's ears. She does everything she can to get at them and lick them! Dazzle doesn't really seem to care to much, just playfully/lazily bites at her long hair - Dazzle really enjoys pulling her hair out. But, I can't imagine dog ears taste that good.... :rolleyes:

Ummm....so does anyone know what in the world this crazy dog is doing?

Dazzle is starting to look at her like she is some alien from mars and should be sent back to wherever she came from! :D

Perhaps they do it for the same reason many dogs LOVE to lick hands, lick feet, lick ankles, lick faces, etc. Maybe there's something they consider "yummy" in there? :rolleyes: I know it sounds gross, but dogs will be dogs...

Our Meg does this to us. She smells your ear as if it were fresh baked bread and she was a starving man. Then she tries to paw it and lick. Hubbies ears are preferrable to mine. Not sure if that is good or bad but it does get him up on the weekends :rolleyes:

Our border cat, Maggie, sneaks up on Fergie, our border collie (mix) when Ferg is asleep and sniffs and lick Ferg's paws and ears. I just assume they smell as good to Mag as they do to us.

I was told once that the yeast that grows in dogs' ears tastes vaguely sweet so some dogs will lick other dog's ears for the yeast. That's why dogs love to eat the cotton balls that you use to clean out their ears when they have that brown yeast in them.

Don't know if the yeast really is sweet, won't catch me trying it, but it's a thought.

Olivia

Prissy my old Maltese used to clean her sister's ears. Prissy was also known for cleaning humans' ears, noses and tonsils if she caught you with your mouth open. Didn't take us long to figure out how to take fast breaths when she was after your nose. lol Longest tongue I'd ever seen! :rolleyes: Course, you couldn't leave a strawberry daiquri any where near Prissy or Missy's reach... or it would be gone. That same little cleaning machine would delight in rolling in goose poo. So Dazzle is not alone. On the bright side her ears are clean. :D

I have found out that Jack does this to me too. Once in a while he'll come up and just lick my ear once or twice, then he's happy. But he LOVES to lick my hand, and fingers. But my toes are to weird to lick, he just stares at them. I don't know why, he just does.

On a previous thread, I'm pretty sure a board member admitted to nibbling their dog's ears. I wonder if whoever it was would care to give some insight?

Erm, that might have been me, chewing on Kyla's ears (purely in the name of justice of course, since she loves to chew on me). They don't have any special taste at all. In fact, to my unsophisticated taste buds at least, they taste no different than her tail-tip.

Gus is an ear licker too, but I chaulked it up to grooming, he grooms his alpha sister all the time. When he isn't licking the baby's nose mouth or diaper. :rolleyes:

Here he is in action. He does this when we try to get pics of them together

I've wondered what it is Bailey likes about ears too (I'm glad he isnt the only one)!! Bailey goes nuts for my hubbys ears (mine very rarely get a sniff), he'd stick his entire head in there if hubby would just stay still long enough, I'm sure!

He also used to do it to our old cat, he ram his nose in the poor cats ear so quickly that his ear would end up inside out, before the daft mutt ran away in an attempt to get the cat to play chase. I've never understood it but it sure is funny to watch (unless its happening to me... wet ear isnt nice :rolleyes: )