Japan Alps - snow pics for Sandra !

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe

Zoe

• Registered Users
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

Sandra - loved your recent snow pics. Here are some from our short trip to the Alps. There was a lot of snow and up to my thighs I gamely ploughed through. I think people thought we were mad :rolleyes: Dylan would not stay still and had to climb everything vaguely climbable ( a word ?)He is there in that last picture ! He had a blast.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/zoeanne/DSCN2152.jpg[/img]
He is trying to climb a very steep bank here - he gave up :D
[img]http://img.photobuck...ne/DSCN2158.jpg
Posted Image

#2 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'm not Sandra... but your pictures are beautiful!
Nothing like wading through deep snow to tire those BCs out :rolleyes:

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011
K9 Knitter Woolie Dog

#3 abbies_mumma

abbies_mumma

Certified agility addict

• Registered Users
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, agility

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

sorry im not sandra either but i love the pics. wish it snowed down here :rolleyes:

#4 Kat's Dogs

Kat's Dogs

:-)

• Registered Users
  • 3,886 posts
  • Interests:working dogs, behavior analysis, and veterinary medicine

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

I too am not Sandra - BUT - I love the one where he is stuck on the hill!!! :rolleyes:

Kat & the dogs:
Peanut EAC, EJC, S-NCC, JHB, CGC (13 years, Shih Tzu)
NATCH, Vers-NATCH Dazzle GM, AAD, AR, S-EAC, O-EJC, S-ECC, S-TN-E, S-WV-E, S-TG-E, HP-E, TNE-400, RV-N, GV-N, CL3-R, CL3-S, CL3-H, JHB, CGC (9 years, Border Collie)
Kova RS-N, JS-O, GS-N, SJ, SS, NAC, NJC, NCC, WV-N (2 years, Golden Retriever)
dogs-joined_zpsdcb22738.gif

#5 BigD

BigD

• Registered Users
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

Oh! Where in the Alps did you go? We spent a few days in Matsumoto one fall. (We camped there - very expensive those Japanese camp grounds!) Then we spent a few nights in Narai and stopped by Tsumago-Magome. Would love to see it in the winter one day - but the fall was beautiful too!

Denise

#6 sandra s.

sandra s.

• Registered Users
  • 3,559 posts
  • Interests:rock music (mostly Oasis and all their heroes and influences), nature (esp. geology), rockhounding, hiking, daydreaming, taking photos (still learning!), any activity that Kessie enjoys (with some exceptions, like rolling in you-know-what!).

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I'm grateful for any sunshine right now, even if it's from the other side of the world. It's snowing AGAIN! All that water must be missed somewhere else.

They are actually called Japan Alps? LOL, we feel honored

Did Dylan ever find a place where the snow was higher than he is? These wind-made accumulations of snow on top of a ridge (engl. word?) are sometimes too deep for Kessie, so she swims through. It looks really funny but she's through faster than i am, even if I'm taller than the heap of snow.

#7 Pipedream Farm

Pipedream Farm

The Geek & The Zoo Keeper

• Registered Users
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:08 AM

Originally posted by sandra s.:
wind-made accumulations of snow on top of a ridge (engl. word?)

Cornice: A mass of snow stretching out from a ridge or cliff line.
Snowdrift: An accumulation of windblown snow deposited in the lee of obstructions.

A cornice is a specific type of snowdrift.

Mark
Mark & Renee
Gyp, Peg, Bette, Nell, BJ, Tally, & Eve

#8 sandra s.

sandra s.

• Registered Users
  • 3,559 posts
  • Interests:rock music (mostly Oasis and all their heroes and influences), nature (esp. geology), rockhounding, hiking, daydreaming, taking photos (still learning!), any activity that Kessie enjoys (with some exceptions, like rolling in you-know-what!).

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:14 AM

Thanks

#9 Kat's Dogs

Kat's Dogs

:-)

• Registered Users
  • 3,886 posts
  • Interests:working dogs, behavior analysis, and veterinary medicine

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:56 AM

I know that I am NOT missing the rain. Out here in Seattle it is (as usuall) raining almost 20/7. The ground has almost become liquid itself.

*sigh* I would prefer snow to rain - you can still do Agility in the snow!! :rolleyes:

Kat & the dogs:
Peanut EAC, EJC, S-NCC, JHB, CGC (13 years, Shih Tzu)
NATCH, Vers-NATCH Dazzle GM, AAD, AR, S-EAC, O-EJC, S-ECC, S-TN-E, S-WV-E, S-TG-E, HP-E, TNE-400, RV-N, GV-N, CL3-R, CL3-S, CL3-H, JHB, CGC (9 years, Border Collie)
Kova RS-N, JS-O, GS-N, SJ, SS, NAC, NJC, NCC, WV-N (2 years, Golden Retriever)
dogs-joined_zpsdcb22738.gif

#10 sandra s.

sandra s.

• Registered Users
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:00 AM

No, you can't, not if the dog isn't really poking out on top anymore :rolleyes:
Kessie's very happy about the snow though.

#11 Zoe

Zoe

• Registered Users
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

To the non-Sandras - thanks for looking !!!
Big D - we went to Shiga Kogen in Nagano. It is a ski resort so we couldn't go anywhere except in the woods, but it was nice anyway. Saw a couple of rabbits !
Sandra - we didn't find any cornices ! I don't think Dylan would try and swim through. There were several really deep places but if I go around, then he does too. Or he finds his own way around. The first day he was really funny - it was deeper than it looks in the photos - He was wading ahead of me and then just stopped, rested his face on the snow ahead of him and looked back at me with the saddest/tiredest eyes. Wish I got a 'photo of that. Not sure how much he likes the snow. We drove from a place with no snow, to a place with tonnes of it. Think he was a bit suprised ! He did love it when it snowed at home last year though. (I think your Kessie is one in a million :rolleyes: )

#12 sandra s.

sandra s.

• Registered Users
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

LOL, poor Dylan :rolleyes: I bet he was stiff and grumpy the next day.

Kessie is definitely one in a million :D . At least she's one in a few thousand, ie she's probably the only inhabitant of Lenggries who wouldn't mind some more snow.

#13 emmetteabrakai

emmetteabrakai

• Registered Users
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:My dogs of course, gardening, reading, music , & all things pertaining to country life.

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:04 AM

What beautiful pictures!, I did peek even if I'm also, not Sandra :rolleyes: . I
Andrea D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.