BC Boards

Preventing recurrent urinary tract infections?

Bordercentrics

Cranberry juice concentrate? I know you can buy it at some natural foods stores, but some dogs won't take it because it's so sour. The capsules might work better.

I pierce a cranberry concentrate capsule into Sammi's breakfast 3-4 times a week. I've also started adding water to both her meals to make sure she gets enough fluid.

Her UTI was last winter, and I think one of the reasons she got it was because she wasn't drinking enough water.

Good luck!

Ruth n the BC3

Have you been able to pinpoint somthing in particular that is different that may cause then in the winter only? That just seems odd. Maybe finding a trigger will help stop them before they start.

My bc had them for a couple months as a puppy plus had crystals. We found that the food mixture was the cause so we discontinued the Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and put her on Uro-eez for a month to get her PH back in balance.

She has not had an UTI in 7 or so months now. She turned 1 in Oct.

I haven't pursued a trigger yet, but since this time makes three, I play to do so. Part of the problem is that I can't get a urine sample, so poor Meg will have to be catheterized. It's funny that they always happen in the winter. Her urine isn't dark, so I think she is drinking enough water and eating enough snow to be well hydrated.

I attributed Sammi's UTI partially to lowered water intake because she was noticeably drinking less in the cold/damp of our last winter than she does in the summer. And she's getting a bit stiffer, she doesn't clean herself nearly as much as she used to. I think her spinal arthritis bothers her more in the cold weather as well.

Check w/your vet, it makes sense to me that more fluid equals less likelihood of UTI, since that's how it works to an extent in humans.

Bordercentrics, I wonder also if your Meg squats really low to the ground, and is possibly brushing against something muddy in the winter and getting infected that way. Anyway, some good questions to explore with your vet.

Ruth n the BC3

If your vet can do a cystocentesis (using a needle and syringe to tap the bladder), that would be another option (catheterizing female dogs is not always a walk in the park; on an awake dog, I personally would prefer the cysto if she has any bladder at all. We have ultrasound to guide us, however, so I can alomst always find a bladder).

BTW, urinary crystals are seen much more frequently in the spring and fall for some unknown reason; maybe something of this nature is part of her seasonality...? Just a thught.

OK, some of you have read this before, and it explains nothing about the seasonality, but here I go: how are her teeth?

I have a female dog who was having periodic UTIs and incontinence. We tried everything, off and on, with moderate success: PPA, DES (ask your vet about these), even some homeopathic remedies. Until I changed to raw diet, then all holy he** broke loose (apparently the change in quantity of water from dry kibble to raw was just too much).

About the same time, she developed a little wound in her lower gum. To make a long story short, a dental vet did a root canal on a lower canine, pulled four lower incisors (which had created a "drain" - the wound), found infection which she'd obviously had for some time, and her incontinence nearly disappeared for years! The vet thinks that she just had a low-grade infection most of the time, but then something would set it off and it would blow up, causing problems. I'd notice small discolored spots on the sheet covering the truck seat, and the smell was awful. Poor baby! But after the dental work, she was good and clean for years.

She's nearly 11 now, and starting to have issues again, so she's back on PPA and DES both. They are working so far, so I guess we'll just keep that up.

And oh yeah, she gets regular dental checkups and teeth brushed!

Just another thought...

diane

Well, Meg's teeth are perfect. They get brushed daily, and our vet is always amazed at the condition of all our dog's teeth. He never has to do any dental work....

I clipped all the hair from her nether parts and environs, and noticed that Meg is very tiny there. When I was a kid I was subject to many ear infections as my ear canals were smaller than usual. I wonder if this could be a contributing factor for Meg. And yes, she doesn't drink as much in winter..

Kathy Robbins

My sheltie had recurrent UTI's as a puppy and the vet suggested a cranberry pill which I still give her (the dog, not the vet) several times a week. She hasn't had a UTI since.

However, if you do decide to try cranberry please talk to your vet first. I mentioned it to a friend whose dog has UTI's a lot and she started the dog on the cranberry pills. However, her vet said in that dog's case it was NOT a good thing and to stop the pills. So I'd see what the vet thinks first.

My vet mentioned that some females have a vulva that tends to collect a drop or 2 of urine instead of it all draining away, and that that can contribute to UTI's. He also said Sammi's is kind of cupped like that, but not extremely.

At age 11, this was Sam's 1st UTI as far as I know. We've had her since she was 2, and I think that her breeder would have mentioned it if she'd had them before.

Anyhoo, do check with the vet about the cranberry, it's always a good idea.

Hope you find some answers for Meg.

Ruth n the BC3