The Darinka story.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:28 AM

I kind of prefer the kelpie technique  :lol: .  One meat sheep once tried to lie down on top of tunneling Bonnie, so when I realized what Darinka was up to I was a bit concerned, because they are very tight in there.     

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#62 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,907 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:18 AM

Our Bute would do either, over or under. He was a dog without fear of tight spaces and pressure.
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#63 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Our Bute would do either, over or under. He was a dog without fear of tight spaces and pressure.

I've always liked sheep backing, and I must try it somehow  with Darinka.  In the situation in the vid backing would be perhaps not practical since the sheep were plastered against the back of the pen pretty tight, so I don't know how she would get them out. I have to arrange some kind of shoot.  I like trying weird things with my dogs, but with Darinka I have to be careful.

The other day she was driving the sheep away and one of the sheep went off and Darine missed it. So I told her "look back" she didn't hear, so I repeated, except the sheep went back and almost caught up with the flock and the command didn't make sense any more.  So Darine indeed looked back remembering  that the other field, separated by two fences and about 300yrds contained sheep too.  So she tried to go there.  And I had to stop her.  I was so mad at myself. because her reaction was excellent, and with her style thinking, she might now think that "look back" is not what she thought it was :( .

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#64 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.