Photo

Wish us luck,; our first time at the post

49 replies to this topic

#21 Gideon's girl

Gideon's girl

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 2,586 posts
  • Interests:BCs, Gideon and Micah and a token JRT just to keep me humble.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Your weather reminds me of the time I went to Alaska.  Ketchikan is in rain forest and fishing is a way of life there.  Sometimes a hole will appear in the cloud cover and a newbie might be tempted to head that way, but it is pretty much guaranteed that the hole will close up and it will be raining there too in a very short time.  Only suckers believe in the promise of the sucker holes.

#22 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Sorry to hear this. I am sure the you, and others, were looking forward this. Has the whole winter been unusual for you this year - or only the past couple of weeks? (I guess that I am assuming that the weather of the past few weeks is unusual - or maybe not?)

Jovi

An Icelandic friend of mine told me shortly after my arrival in this country, that is is pretty unusual to have the usual kind of weather for the time of the year... He was not kidding :rolleyes:

And though the winter has been pretty mild this year, spring has been unusually cold.

I just hope it gets better before we intend to put out the first lambs, the forecast is not very good...

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#23 RachelO

RachelO

• Registered Users
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Animal Behavior, Horses, Art, Books, Hiking, Gardening.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all that snow!  Is this normal in Iceland in the Spring? 

It's funny, because we often get snow in the Spring in Ohio, but it hasn't been bad this year.  Last Saturday, however, there was quite a bit of snow falling.  Very little stuck to the ground, but it was falling pretty hard early in the morning, making visibility difficult for driving.  But, boy, you should hear everyone gripe!  You would think we were getting buried in the stuff!

#24 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Oh, that's so bad! Ok, I won't complain about Poland anymore!  But it has been bad here too, not nearly as bad, the spring is so  late and it is so cold! So I am concerned about our blueberries.

We won't be trialling this year either unless something very convenient happens, since I am going to start  Darine's training this year, and I can't do both trialling and training, so we will just go training with the two dogs (since I could trial only with one), and hopefully sometime in 2014 Bonnie will go back to competing. 

So all the best for the lambing season. We are already finished, the last ewe had her lamb yesterday.

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#25 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Okay, yesterday we had a blizzard, and it kept snowing today.This is not funny anymore.

Things start to look worrying. There are a couple of factors working together to make the farmer´s life difficult here in the northern part of Iceland at the moment.

First , a pretty bad hay harvest last year due to drought. Second, because of a bad autumn, we had to house the sheep about a month earlier than last year. Third, because of the nasty weather pattern in the winter, a lot of hay land has been under ice for a long period, big a chance the grass died, the dreaded "kal". This probably means an even worse harvest next summer (and expensive measures to cultivate fields anew).

Now number four it looks like spring is not coming early (this is an understatement btw), this of course means even more hay is needed.

The effects are noticeable; there are a lot of people sending more ewes to the slaughter, there is also an increase in horses being slaughtered.

For us personally it is not disastrous, the sheep farming is a kind of a runaway hobby. A flock of over a hundred sheep is a lot of work, but in our case there is not a big part of our income depending on it.

Also we have enough hay for this spring (unless things really go crazy....).

I would hate it to be forced to cull good producing ewes because of this....Ah well, we´ll worry about that after the harvest, I hope I don´t have to make tough decisions then. Our land does not look that bad (fingers crossed).

As for trials I don´t think anything will be held until late summer. I don´t know what this postponed trial will do, but it is unlikely they can keep it after lambing. We´ll see.

The Icelandic nationals are planned for end of august, but that is on the other side of the country, and it will be very iffy to find the time then, when I can make time I will try to go.

But we have different things on our minds right now, it is lambing time. Well that is to say, no lambs yet, but today it was 140 days since the rams went in, so anytime now, we are checking a couple of times a day.

We hope for about 180 lambs. Unlike your ouissants Maja, icelandic ewes are expected to give birth to twins (the  offense of repeatedly producing just a single means culling...).

#26 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

This is very heartbreaking to read.  I listened to a radio interview with a welsh farmer who lost so many ewes and lambs due to the late snow. It was so utterly heartbreaking.  I hope so much the  things will get better finally. 

We have one breed in Poland "olkuska" sheep that is know for giving multiple births, often triplets, and sometimes even 4-5  lambs.  For ouessants - it's good they have only one, they are so tiny.  The other day when I had to move a ewe, I just took her lamb in one hand, tucked mommy under my arm and off we went :)

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#27 Gideon's girl

Gideon's girl

• 2,586 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I can just picture that!!

#28 Gideon's girl

Gideon's girl

• 2,586 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Smalahundur, I hope things get better there very quickly.

#29 TEC

TEC

• Registered Users
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Feeding through winter is a big expense. Hoping for Icelandic spring, and a good hay harvest. -- Very best wishes, TEC

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - Patton

Josie eye.jpg

#30 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,852 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Sorry to hear that it's been such a rough winter/spring.  I hope things improve soon for you and all the farmers. 

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#31 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Summer came and went (and was not bad at all), and yesterday I talked to someone from the organization and asked her about the postponed trial, and if there was any hope it would be held before winter strikes.

To my surprise she said they are going to give it another try in November. No promises, it all depends on weather, availability of sheep and contestants, but hey, I´ll keep my fingers crossed.

If it is going to be held it will be on short notice (what else is new, that´s just how things are usually done here in Iceland...).

I know, said it before, but I´ll keep you posted.

#32 Gideon's girl

Gideon's girl

• 2,586 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good Luck!!

#33 ThunderHill

ThunderHill

• Registered Users
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

I hope conditions cooperate and the trial will happen. Good luck in every way.

Liz S, temporarily sheepless in Maryland

#34 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,852 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Good luck and good times with it!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#35 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Okay, I hardly dare post this because I am afraid to jinx it, but here goes anyway;

I just heard today there is a small trial in the planning, not at the same place I talked about above, but actually nearer to us; a measly 70 km, virtually next door.

Weather permitting it will be held the 23th or 24th of November, so fingers crossed.

It will still be our first time at the post, and we will probably start in the "young dog group".

I hope I can do a couple of training sessions this weekend and the coming week, If I could manage about three it would be nice, I´ll use the training group (they are one and a half year old) that have been more or less dogged over the summer.

Might be a good idea to try out the (completely non dogged) lambs who got to live, born this spring.

Oh well, there will probably be a blizzard anyway... <_<

#36 TEC

TEC

• Registered Users
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hope the small nearby trial is a go. They tend to be informal and fun, and more people you know. 

Just before a trial, I have tended to hurriedly emphasize some skill I have neglected. For me, big mistake. I suggest, in preparation, training/sharpening what your dog knows, and introduce new stuff (if any) when you return. Dogs with excellent  "downs" generally rise to the top in competition. Of course, do what works. You know your dog and circumstances best.

Have fun and best wishes. -- TEC

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - Patton

Josie eye.jpg

#37 Gideon's girl

Gideon's girl

• 2,586 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

You simply can't have a blizzard every time!!!  Good luck on this one.

#38 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

ok, blizzard you can come to Poland for that weekend.  All the best to you guys! 

#39 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for all your good wishes guys.

And I will make one promise, if this trial won´t be held for whatever reason I will keep my mouth shut about the next one until after I have attended it ;)

#40 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

How is the weather so far?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.