• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tiga's_mom

Tiga's_mom

Stage Manager

• Registered Users
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Annie is now about 5 1/2 months old and the teething has started. I can see the molars coming in and there's blood and redness. She's been pawing at her face and crying randomly and I know that's why. I've been giving her ice cubes and I've frozen cloths for her to chew on. Any other suggestions on how to make this easier on her?
~Tammy~

#2 SecretBC

SecretBC

• Registered Users
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Agility!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Huh. None of mine have ever carried on with such dramatics.

I just have lots of chew toys around the house for them. Various textures/hardness so that they can choose what feels best. You are already doing the frozen washcloths, which would have been my other suggestion.

It's really not that big of a deal. Don't baby her and give her lots of stuff to chew on. Bully sticks or rawhides (supervise closely!) tend to go over well during this time.
Karissa
V-NATCH2/NATCH3 Luke -- Superior Elite Versatility, O-HP-E, 2500+ Lifetime
Kaiser (UWP GRCH'PR' Alasco's Kvichak) -- Elite Vers., O-EAC, S-EJC, O-ECC, TN-E, TG-E, O-WV-E, HP-N, 1000+ Lifetime, TIAD, TG2, UKC Total Dog (3!)
Secret -- Elite Vers., O-EAC, O-EJC, ECC, TG-E, TN-E, WV-E, HP-N, 1000+ Lifetime, PD, SPS, SPG, SPJ
Visit My Blog!
Visit my YouTube channel!

#3 Tiga's_mom

Tiga's_mom

Stage Manager

• Registered Users
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

She's got lots to chew on for sure. I won't baby her for sure and I'll just keep her busy with chew toys and cloths. Thanks. :)
~Tammy~

#4 WWBC

WWBC

• Registered Users
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Frozen or semi frozen turkey, chicken or duck necks make great "teething" treats for young dogs, much tastier and probably safer than a frozen wash cloth......

#5 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Although my dog never showed adverse reactions to teething when he was a pup, I used a cloth 'bone' that was soaked in water and then frozen as a toy for him to chew on. Supposedly the cold/frozen 'bone' helped to numb their gums for a short while. I purchased the 'bone' in a big box petstore. It was made of a tough twill-like material and stuffed with ?. The directions on the label indicated it was for teething.

Jovi

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#6 Oko

Oko

Derpoodle & Friends

• Registered Users
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

I recommend bully sticks, for one. Petsmart sells them all for the same price here, but the thickness/size varies, something to keep in mind. Kongs filled with frozen yogurt/peanut butter are a good option so she can gnaw on the Kong to squeeze it out, and it since it's cold it'll help numb her mouth. I'm not fond of rawhide chews, because they get soggy pretty fast. I hear Nylabone makes some good teething toys.

I've also heard of some sort of cloth bone that you freeze, it has a sponge inside canvas? Upon searching, 'Chilly Bone' seems to be what I'm talking about.

Make sure whatever room she is in she has something of 'hers' to chew on, or she'll choose something of 'yours'.

http://www.feistea.wordpress.com

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh."
- W. H. Auden

#7 KrisK

KrisK

a wannabe retiree

• Registered Users
  • 4,273 posts
  • Interests:dogs, gardens, homesteading..

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Flint seems to really like the elk antler I got him...I also give him icecubes.

Cricket, BC, mistress of the household
Dusty, the foundling, being as good as his DNA will allow
Flint, BC,  a sparky pup

Spark. BC - can we PLEASE play ball? 
Jazz (my heartdog - April 1999-April 2010)
Zachary, my little ironman (July 1994-April 2012)
Brandy (a good dog - 1983-1999)
He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds

http://www.whisperin...es.blogspot.com

#8 Falon's Mom

Falon's Mom

• Registered Users
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hiking, and sketching.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

I have always used unsmoked, uncooked beef bones from my local butcher that are frozen. They worked wonders for both Falon and Brutus (hubbies mastif mix). He had a sensitive mouth as well.
bN3Im7.png
Those who have crossed the rainbow bridge:
Sunday (July 14, 2001 - November 16, 2011)
Falon (October 4, 2011 - August 26, 2012)

Ego says "Once everything is in place I will feel peace." Spirit says, "Find your peace and everything will fall into place." ~ Marianne Williamson.

#9 brady's mom

brady's mom

• Registered Users
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Ice cubes, ice cubes, ice cubes--we went through a ridiculous amount of ice cubes, and he still acts like a wiggly puppy when he gets one and he's two, now.

But in hindsight I would have frozen more meat juices and broths, not just water.

I second the frozen Kong and frozen bones, they helped LOADS.
Kristi -- the naive border collie student [br]
Brady -- the king of the loveseat and master of all things tennis ball.

#10 Tiga's_mom

Tiga's_mom

Stage Manager

• Registered Users
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone. We've been giving frozen kongs, ice cubes and the frozen cloths. She seems to be a bit better today. She's not bleeding and the gums are less red. I guess we're doing all the right things. I may go look for one of the frozen "bone" chew toys as well.
~Tammy~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.