Photo

Any tips? Meg's First Agility Trial (finally)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 arf2184

arf2184

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Meg and I have been taking agility classes for almost two years but have yet to compete. Finally on Saturday July 7th I plan to enter us in a NADAC Fun-Raiser. It's indoors on dirt, single arena, much like the building we have classes in.

Here's my 'to bring list':
Crate
Blanket and cover for Meg's Crate
Water bowl
Water
Treats
Tug toy
Chairs
Poo Clean-up Bags
Camera and camera-person ;)
Money
Meg's NADAC number (will be registering day-of, shouldn't be a very big trial)

I think we're going to do one Regular run and one Touch-n-Go run in the Skilled category. Meg likes contact obstacles the best so I think she'll like Touch-N-Go. Her least favorite obstacles in class are weave poles. At home she'll fly through them...in class she s-l-o-w-l-y creeps through.

I'm considering going Friday to give Hoopers a try (and so Meg can get a feel for the place) but I'm not sure. It's only 10 minutes from my house, so certainly do-able, but I don't really understand Hoopers as described in the NADAC handbook with the Test vs. Non-Test hoops.

I'm excited and a bit nervous. I don't expect to Q, but I hope Meg has fun and doesn't tune me out completely. Any tips for us first timers? Anything I'm forgetting on my list off stuff to bring? Should I do two Regular runs? I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want her to be bored.

In class last week we moved all the equipment to the newly fenced outdoor area. Meg loved it! She by-passed the teeter and most of the jumps the first run through, but she had more fun than she's had in a while (she's been way too serious/bored in our agility class lately). If I get that response in our first trial, I'll be happy (though it'll be nice if she actually completes most of the obstacles). ;)

~Alison
"The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -- Ambrose Bierce
sig.jpg
http://alisonschinchillas.com

#2 Jumpin Boots

Jumpin Boots

• Registered Users
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Farming, sheep, gardening, agility, reining

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Relax and have fun. I am coming over to deer park for the weekend too. I'll keep my eyes open for you two. Always fun to meet someone from the boards in person. I will be running Renoir; smooth coat b/w border collie without a tail. If you see us come say hi!

#3 rufftie

rufftie

• Registered Users
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:dogs, agility, herding, water gardens and koi, gardening, keeping below the radar.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

you and meg are gonna love it! bring a cooler. bring a dog- it's not on your list and you wouldn't believe how often people pack everything but the dog!!
remember there is no teeter in nadac. dogs run naked, humans shouldn't. do tunnelers if offered, it's like a border collie cannon!

kinda jones-ing for a trial myself. nothing here till aug.

enjoy!

#4 ChantalB

ChantalB

• Registered Users
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

How many runs totally depends on the dog. I like to enter Jude is however Many runs I can. That's because he's a steam engine always looking for more and gets bored waiting his turn. He doesn't shut down and lives to run agility, lol.

Just gotta know your dog.

#5 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hope you had lots of fun, my first trial I was really intimidated but after a couple, you and your partner will feel at home.

#6 SecretBC

SecretBC

• Registered Users
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Agility!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Looking forward to an update! Fun-raisers are their own little world -- Very relaxed and low key. I would assume that most fun-raisers would be running the numbered Hoopers these days (essentially Jumpers with Hoops), but I suppose there could always be exceptions.

Hoopers counts for nothing unless you get your Superior titles in all levels and go for the All Around. Because of that, I find myself not entering it ($$) but my boys love it. I'm debating letting Kaiser do it at our next trial to finish up his Open title. He got the Q's he needed to do Champs in 2011 and we haven't ran it since.

Hope we get video! :D
Karissa
V-NATCH2/NATCH3 Luke -- Superior Elite Versatility, O-HP-E, 2500+ Lifetime
Kaiser (UWP GRCH'PR' Alasco's Kvichak) -- Elite Vers., O-EAC, S-EJC, O-ECC, TN-E, TG-E, O-WV-E, HP-N, 1000+ Lifetime, TIAD, TG2, UKC Total Dog (3!)
Secret -- Elite Vers., O-EAC, O-EJC, ECC, TG-E, TN-E, WV-E, HP-N, 1000+ Lifetime, PD, SPS, SPG, SPJ
Visit My Blog!
Visit my YouTube channel!

#7 arf2184

arf2184

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

I will be running Renoir; smooth coat b/w border collie without a tail. If you see us come say hi!

Will do! Meg will be the rough coat b/w border collie without a tail. :D

I'll definitely add a cooler and snacks to my list. And Meg of course...Thank you!

If Hoopers is numbered we can do that. Maybe we'll drive out and just see on Friday. At this point, I'm not worried about points, Qs, etc...mostly I just want to get through a course without Meg tuning me out. She finds the ground much more interesting when she's stressed or feeling pressured so I've been trying to just keep her moving and having fun. She's doing good lately (and it shows outside of agility too).

I'm still debating how many runs to do. On Saturday, our choices for runs are 2 Regular, 2 Touch-N-Go, Jumpers, and Chances. I'm not ready for Chances and Meg hasn't been too thrilled with just boring old jumps lately, so I think we'll stick to Regular and T-n-G. I'm thinking Meg and/or me will probably bomb on our first run and it would be nice to be able to try again when the nerves have settled a bit. :P

~Alison
sig.jpg

#8 SecretBC

SecretBC

• Registered Users
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Agility!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Go for both rounds of Regular. Round two is just a reversal of round one -- and usually it runs better in one direction than the other, so it helps to take two shots at it.

Most dogs find NADAC Jumpers courses to be very motivating with their soft flowing lines. There isn't the stress of weaves or contacts, so most green dogs excel there. I'd try it at least one of the days, although numbered Hoopers would be similar for a dog who likes hoops.
Karissa
V-NATCH2/NATCH3 Luke -- Superior Elite Versatility, O-HP-E, 2500+ Lifetime
Kaiser (UWP GRCH'PR' Alasco's Kvichak) -- Elite Vers., O-EAC, S-EJC, O-ECC, TN-E, TG-E, O-WV-E, HP-N, 1000+ Lifetime, TIAD, TG2, UKC Total Dog (3!)
Secret -- Elite Vers., O-EAC, O-EJC, ECC, TG-E, TN-E, WV-E, HP-N, 1000+ Lifetime, PD, SPS, SPG, SPJ
Visit My Blog!
Visit my YouTube channel!

#9 SS Cressa

SS Cressa

• Registered Users
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Dog agility, trick training, hiking, biking, camping, herding

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Never have done NADAC but i can attest to agility trial. Best advise is dont stress! Just relax and have fun! Even if your border collie bombs dont stress it.

Stella S.

(5H)MACH 2 Cresent Moon MXF, 2011 PGP Nat' CH (Handle by Denise Thomas), 2011 Speed Jumpers 5th placed finalist (Handle by Denise Thomas). ~Thanks to Denise Thomas for handling Cressa so well at agility nationals and when I wasn't able to.

5H Hunter Moon

#10 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Registered Users
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:agility, running, cooking

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

Don't forget lunch/snacks for yourself, and plenty to drink. Trial food can be really, really bad! Also, sunscreen, a hat, a chair and something to read (and if you're getting on up there like I am, reading glasses ;) ) Oh, and Tylenol or Advil is always handy. You're gonna have sooooo much fun!!!!
Kelley

#11 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Will you have someone there to help you keep track of the classes and timing of the walk-throughs? Not a big deal if you don't, but it helps smooth some of the confusion of your first time.

Be aware that NADAC starts running dogs as soon as the walk-through is finished. I am used to AKC - only running one NADAC per year. In AKC, there is a 13 minute walk-through, then 5 minutes to get the first dog on the line. One time I missed my run time because I wasn't fast enough bringing my dog to the ring since I forgot that there was no 5 minute period between walk-through and first dog.

Have fun. Best of Luck to you and Meg,
Jovi

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#12 arf2184

arf2184

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

My family will be around with the camera(s), but they know next to nothing about agility. ;) There is only one ring so that makes things a little bit easier to keep track of.

I get totally lost watching the AKC trials when there's more than one ring.

~Alison
sig.jpg

#13 SS Cressa

SS Cressa

• Registered Users
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Dog agility, trick training, hiking, biking, camping, herding

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Updates? So how did it go?

Stella S.

(5H)MACH 2 Cresent Moon MXF, 2011 PGP Nat' CH (Handle by Denise Thomas), 2011 Speed Jumpers 5th placed finalist (Handle by Denise Thomas). ~Thanks to Denise Thomas for handling Cressa so well at agility nationals and when I wasn't able to.

5H Hunter Moon

#14 arf2184

arf2184

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

I didn't make it out Friday for hoopers. We did do three runs today. Probably should have done the second Touch N Go, but that's ok. Next time!

Video later, but here's how things went:

Run #1 Touch N Go

Meg started out great and made it through the first 7 obstacles, though I think she missed the contact on the A-frame. Then she ran around the outside of a tunnel...she does this in class too. We'll have to work on it more; I think I may be pushing her out somehow.

Then came the Dog Walk...

The judge was standing on one side of the dog walk and I think that made Meg a little uneasy,
AND a dog kenneled off to the side barked and snarled as she got on the dog walk and that startled her,
AND well, she started up the dog walk and jumped off. Started up again...only made it up a few steps before hopping off again with her 'what the heck is that!?' look. Rubber Matted contacts...she's never been on them. So she got back on and I put my hand under her ribs and supported her all the way across. I'll post the video later...its kind of funny how she tip toed across the whole thing.

She was happy once we completed the dog walk so I ended our run there and gave her lots of treats!

Run #2 Regular 1
Totally not focused! I was really nervous and so she just kind of checked out a bit and sniffed a lot...we had so many faults and she missed quite a few obstacles. I think I got in her way twice and that sure didn't help. She also wanted to go say hi to my sister who was off to the side with the camera. Not a very good run for either of us BUT she did the dog walk! She hesitated and was nervous about it, but she did it! That made the whole distracted run well worth it.

Run #3 Regular 2
AWESOME! NO FAULTS! We were 4/10ths of a second over on time so did not Q but I could not be happier with our run. She did circle around one jump but went back and completed it. A great last run! Best of all...she did the dog walk with no hesitation! :D

I'm very pleased with our first trial! We had fun. Everyone there was great. I didn't know anyone but it didn't matter. Everyone was nice and glad to help.

@Jumpin Boots - It was nice meeting you! Renoir sure is a good looking dog. We (my family and the people sitting next to us) all enjoyed watching him run!

Today, after her runs Meg was laying by my feet while strange dogs she's never seen before walked close by. She either ignored them or showed mild curiosity. This from the dog who had to be separated from the others in our first obedience class because she kept snarling at anyone who came near and kept trying stare the other dogs down. She's come a long way in the last two years. I'm very proud of how relaxed she was overall being in a new place, with lots of strange people and dogs. That's my girl!

I can't way to give it another go!

~Alison
sig.jpg

#15 Root Beer

Root Beer

It's a Dean Dog Adventure!

• Registered Users
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Awesome!! I'm glad you had such a great first trial!!!

:D

Kristine
And Dean Dog, Tessa, and the Bandit
In Memory:  Sammie, Speedy, and Maddie

Tessa's Training Blog - Our Training and Experiences in Musical Freestyle, Agility, and Rally FrEe

Tessa+Snooker.JPG

#16 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Congratulations! It sounds like you and Meg had a great time, and that Meg showed improvement in many areas. Keep up the good work.

Jovi

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#17 PSmitty

PSmitty

Socially awkward nonsense babbler

• Registered Users
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yay! Sounds like a great experience for both of you. Great job!
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex & Will

#18 arf2184

arf2184

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

~Alison
sig.jpg

#19 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Glad you had fun....

#20 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Nice first trial. I was impressed that you could urge her over the DW without treats. Good job.

Jovi

Jovi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.