• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 SS Cressa

SS Cressa

• Registered Users
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Dog agility, trick training, hiking, biking, camping, herding

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Maralynn where did you get you kennel from? And are they double door? Those could fit in my car.

Stella S.

(5H)MACH 2 Cresent Moon MXF, 2011 PGP Nat' CH (Handle by Denise Thomas), 2011 Speed Jumpers 5th placed finalist (Handle by Denise Thomas). ~Thanks to Denise Thomas for handling Cressa so well at agility nationals and when I wasn't able to.

5H Hunter Moon

#42 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I got both kennels from ebay a couple years apart. I can't remember which seller they came from but they are heavier than the average wire crates sold at pet big box stores/walmart etc. and they were cheaper too even with shipping. And yes - they have double doors one in the front and one on the side

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011
K9 Knitter Woolie Dog

#43 BCjetta

BCjetta

• Registered Users
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have the same setup as Maralynn but my 24" crate fits right on the floor of the xterra. If I wanted another 30" one, I'd have to do the same setup to get it over the wheel well. I have 1 dog in each of those crates and my old one on the back seat. If we're going anywhere other than to work or a walk, I will use a seatbelt harness on her.

#44 Carlasl

Carlasl

• Registered Users
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

For those asking about if Emergency personnel would take dogs to a Kennel instead of a Shelter, unless you lived in the town and had previous arrangements with either a Vet clinic or boarding facility I would say it is unlikely. I am an Animal Control Officer in a small upscale city in my town and in cases of accidents where the owner is transported to the hospital we generally take them to our sheltering facility (which happens to be a nice Veterinary clinic that boards dogs, so our shelter is a Veterinary boarding facility). I have taken dogs to their home in our city (at their request even though I have told them they may want their canine examined by a veterinarian) or I would be more than happy to take them to their Veterinarian if it were relatively close. If the accident is severe, my preference is to transport them to our Veterinarian for an exam. I absolutely contact anyone the owner wants me to as soon as possible.

It is amazing that accidents that have totaled cars and sent owners to the hospital, don't seem to injure the dogs (who are mostly unsecured in the vehicle)
Carla
Maya (2yrs)
Skye (4 yrs old)

Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 diane allen

diane allen

• Registered Users
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

Re taking care of dogs if driver is incapacitated: I travel a LOT around the intermountain west, usually in my small RV. My emergency info has a list of names and phone numbers of people who have agreed to take my animals if needed. I put the person's name and city, so at least an ACO or police would have a clue who is nearby. When I've traveled cross-country, I've contacted a few folks I know along my route, or others traveling the same general direction at that time, if I could add their names to my list. It gets kinda long, but I'd rather have a shelter or vet have many options - if the first one doesn't answer, or can't help, at least there are other alternatives! I have no doubt that at first, dogs might be taken to a vet or a shelter - which is fine in that "emergency time." But giving those folks some options to move the dogs along to someone who will take them off their hands seems like a better solution for the longer term.

We all just do the best we can with what we've got and can afford - but discussions like this will hopefully go a long way in further our animals' safety.

As an aside...I don't often leave my dogs unattended in a car (in my case, Honda Element; 2 SUV-sized crates in back, strapped* to a platform** which raises them above the wheel wells). But on occasion when I need to make a stop (relatively brief - not hours!) and it's too hot to leave them in a closed car....I have two large padlocks, kept in the console, and will padlock the crates shut and leave the back hatch open. Yeah, someone could theoretically cut the straps and take the crates....but I doubt anyone would go to this much trouble, OR not be caught doing it!

* Straps: cargo straps/ratchet straps are good and strong, but frankly, at least for me, a PITA to use. I get 1.5" wide "river straps" - any whitewater rafting store or company will carry these. VERY strong and adjustable - but beware, they will eventually break down (after years) in the heat and/or sun.

** Platform: The SUV crates would not fit in on floor level. My plywood platform has slots cut into it, and straps thru the slots hold the platform to the floor (tie downs in the car provided). Then, the crates are strapped to the platform. If I ever get a flat tire....I'm just calling road service. No way I'd get the spare out! :-)

diane

#46 terrecar

terrecar

Senior Moment

• Registered Users
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. After all of this talk about safety, I made an attempt to get my #400 Vari Kennel into the back of my car. I honestly didn't think it would fit. I did have to pull the front passenger seat all the way up, but I was able to get the crate in and strap it down. I took Hannah to my daughter's today to run with the Greyhounds, and I have to say I felt so much better having her safely crated for the drive.

#47 PSmitty

PSmitty

Socially awkward nonsense babbler

• Registered Users
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

We all just do the best we can with what we've got and can afford - but discussions like this will hopefully go a long way in further our animals' safety.

Yes, this. And I think that trying *something* is always better than trying *nothing*. I'm really surprised that I know a couple of "dog people" who have loose dogs riding in their cars, and over long distances to trials and such, too. :(

Here's my current set-up. Not ideal if I had all 4 dogs, as they would have to double up. But I usually only have one dog with me, sometimes two. The back seat doesn't lie flat, so my husband built the little platform, so that the crates are level. I know some people prefer the airline crates, but I refuse to obstruct my view like that, which is dangerous in itself. I plan to replace the bungees with cargo straps as soon as possible.

What I like is that the crates are right behind the driver's seat. In other words, in the passenger compartment, not crumple zones. I would not want the crates to ever be right in front of the back door if I could help it.

Posted Image

Now I'd really like some narrow crates like Maralynn has...I might downsize vehicles later this year and they would be great.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex & Will

#48 MaryP

MaryP

• Registered Users
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Wow, I wish I could have a setup like that, Paula. I can only fit two crates in the back of my Tucson, and they are put in perpendicular, not side by side. It's been really bothering me that I have a crate that is pretty much right at the back of my car. That's Ollie's crate and he would be in the crumple zone in a bad rear-end crash. If I'm only traveling with Ollie, I'll put him in the crate that is behind the front seats. But, when I'm traveling with both Charlie and Ollie, Charlie is in the one behind the seats and Ollie is in the smaller crate at the back of the car. Unfortunately, since Charlie is a bit of a behemoth, I need a bit of a bigger crate for him, and there's more room for a bigger crate up near the front seats. I use airline-style plastic crates, which I feel are safer, though I hate that they are like little ovens. Every time Steve loads the dogs into my car, he says, "OK, time to get into your hot boxes." What I really need is a different car. Can someone loan me some money??

ETA: Paula, I'm also at a loss at understanding why "dog people" would let their dogs ride loose in their cars. I have a good friend (who you met recently) who lets her dog ride loose in her car, even though she could easily fit a crate in her car. I've tried to *delicately* discuss this with her on numerous occasions, and I get nowhere. I have a hard time understanding her thought path.
Mary, Milo, Charlie, Skittles, & Ollie
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.