Scenes from Zamora SDT

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 workindogs

workindogs

• Registered Users
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

Here are a few photos of the Zamora SDT (CA) field...a beautiful big hill field. If the big tricky undulating hill wasn't enough of a test, then the wily range ewes were to up the ante. Always a favorite, especially when the weather cooperates.

Imagine the possibilities.....
Posted Image

Sunshine breaking through the clouds.
Posted Image

Do you think these fellows might be related?
Posted Image

Young Craig "I have a DREAM"
Posted Image

Elizabeth
with Ross, Soot, Craig and Hattie
Steadfast Stockdogs
Oregon, USA

#2 Journey

Journey

Happiness is not having what you want but wanting what you have.

• Registered Users
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

Incredible! Thanks for the *view* :)
Karen & the growing pack of spoiled mutts!
Posted Image

#3 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 11,175 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Magnificent! The only other Zamora photos that I recall were taken (I think) after fires, and it looked so desolate. These are beautiful, and it must be a wonderful trial.

Thank you for sharing!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#4 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

Idyllic is the word that comes to mind...

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#5 NCStarkey

NCStarkey

Just a few shovelfuls short of a full load

• Registered Users
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, Sheepdog Trials, and Bluefaced Leicester sheep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Outstanding photos of an incredible field, Elizabeth!

nancy

PS: I imagine that photo of the three related dogs is of Rye and his "kids"?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Author Unknown

Posted Image

Nancy Cox Starkey
Trial & Error Acres
Mt. Airy, Maryland
NCStarkey@aol.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.blogspot.com

#6 WildFlower

WildFlower

Sheep dog handler in training.

• Registered Users
  • 1,754 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, stock work, chickens, gardening, photography

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Amazing photos!

Vicki

Border Collies: Daisy, Devon, & Teak
Kitties: Merry Cat & Mr. Magoo

Chickens: Dixie, Fran, Mabel, and Hattie

"Border Collie is my co-pilot"
IMG_6789-1.jpgDSCN1755-1.jpgth_IMAG0155.jpg

Midwest Border Collie Rescue

#7 workindogs

workindogs

• Registered Users
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Nancy, you got it....Rye in front, Ross in the middle and Craig. We walked around a bit but every time we stopped, they lined up to watch the trial in their "vulture pose".

Elizabeth
Steadfast Stockdogs
Oregon, USA

#8 Bluzinnias

Bluzinnias

• Registered Users
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Stunning field! Wow! Must have been a great time.

Michelle

#9 Covelo Dogs

Covelo Dogs

• Registered Users
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Harp wants to know how the family did this weekend.
She spent weekend hoping someone would let us know how trial went. She was rooting for her sister!
Suki

#10 Laurae

Laurae

i'd rather be working my dogs...

• Registered Users
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Amazing photos, Elizabeth! And the orienting Ryesters is classic.

Cheers,
Laura
5120876952_de8afa8164.jpg
Poetry in motion with Sophie, Taz, Meg, Ike, and puppy Gus!
And Craig waiting at the bridge.

See profiles of many top competitors from the 2011 National Sheepdog Finals in Carbondale, Colorado
My Flickr page

#11 airbear

airbear

Talk to the paw

• Registered Users
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Wow, that's stunning! What a field!

And I love the vultures - classic. Posted Image
Kristi
Wick, Lou and Rex
Bear, forever in my heart
Our Photo Blog

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12 stockdogranch

stockdogranch

Cowgirl in the sand

• Registered Users
  • 2,065 posts
  • Interests:Training stockdogs (duh), particularly for everyday, practical work. I trial my dogs on cattle when time and money permit. I also teach academic writing at one of the Cal State University campuses, so in recent years I have been merging writing with stockdogs. I published Working With a Stockdog in 2009 (Outrun Press), and am working on ideas for a second book...

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

GREAT pics! And as stunning as these pics are, the field is even more impressive in person! Sorry I didn't get to see you there (or, I guess I did, but from afar)...
A
"Life's too short to work bad dogs."
www.stockdogranch.com

#13 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 11,175 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

There's Anna, Queen of the Top End at Zamora!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#14 abcollie

abcollie

• Registered Users
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Weren't the sheep GREAT this year. Much lighter than normal but not crazy light! The lambs had been weaned a month ago and he had them shorn (how do you spell that and what is the correct "tense" :@)a couple of weeks ago. Just made them easier than the normal "Zamora sheep".

It did rain but never hard enough to make it miserable(and it can really "blow and pour" there).. Very well run with very little "bitching" ... a really enjoyable trial.

Even if you don't do well ... just getting the sheep to your feet is a "feat" (especially with young ones :@)

#15 workindogs

workindogs

• Registered Users
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Anna, yes, the field is even more awesome in person. The photo doesn't show just how steep the hills are or the tough and mostly blind outrun.

Suki, there was almost no cell/Internet signal unless you made the big climb up a hill....like the one I made to take these photos (and make some calls). Ross and Sooty did great! Soot's first go was pretty good...needed some help at the start of her outrun and was on the muscle, but put together a decent run. Her 2nd go was very good....she was more relaxed and listened very well and nailed her outrun without assistance (beautiful !!). Ross had beautiful smooth runs both rounds (tho' my steering stank 1st go and missed panels cost us dearly). I'm not sure where he ended up exactly....8th in 1st go (I think) and 8-10th in the 2nd go (maybe). With 80+ dogs running, that put him in the points. Sooty might have ended up with a point or two in the 2nd go. I was super happy with the both of them (especially Soot on such a big difficult hill).

We were very fortunate on the weather....big storms predicted turned out to be small short ones. As Candy said, the sheep were fairly light but not crazed....could turn on the dog at the shed or pen but mostly darted and split to make pens infrequent.

Elizabeth
Steadfast Stockdogs
Oregon, USA

#16 stockdogranch

stockdogranch

Cowgirl in the sand

• Registered Users
  • 2,065 posts
  • Interests:Training stockdogs (duh), particularly for everyday, practical work. I trial my dogs on cattle when time and money permit. I also teach academic writing at one of the Cal State University campuses, so in recent years I have been merging writing with stockdogs. I published Working With a Stockdog in 2009 (Outrun Press), and am working on ideas for a second book...

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yes, the sheep seemed more "squirrley" than in past years, but not terrible. Just enough to really keep me from getting at all complacent up there. Just because there was hay does not mean they would stop moving long enough to see it, let alone stop to eat it :-) And, yes, Candy, "sheep had been shorn" is totally grammatically correct,
A
"Life's too short to work bad dogs."
www.stockdogranch.com

#17 Covelo Dogs

Covelo Dogs

• Registered Users
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Elizabeth,
Thank you for letting me (and Harp) know how the dogs did. I am really happy to hear Soot did well. That is a big hill. Sorry, that I could not make it over . Maybe next year! Lambing does have away of changing plans. I had been wondering about the weather as we got a lot of rain and snow this past weekend, so am glad to hear that it was not a huge issue this year.
Suki

#18 C Crocker

C Crocker

• Registered Users
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Anna, yes, the field is even more awesome in person. The photo doesn't show just how steep the hills are or the tough and mostly blind outrun.

Suki, there was almost no cell/Internet signal unless you made the big climb up a hill....like the one I made to take these photos (and make some calls). Ross and Sooty did great! Soot's first go was pretty good...needed some help at the start of her outrun and was on the muscle, but put together a decent run. Her 2nd go was very good....she was more relaxed and listened very well and nailed her outrun without assistance (beautiful !!). Ross had beautiful smooth runs both rounds (tho' my steering stank 1st go and missed panels cost us dearly). I'm not sure where he ended up exactly....8th in 1st go (I think) and 8-10th in the 2nd go (maybe). With 80+ dogs running, that put him in the points. Sooty might have ended up with a point or two in the 2nd go. I was super happy with the both of them (especially Soot on such a big difficult hill).

We were very fortunate on the weather....big storms predicted turned out to be small short ones. As Candy said, the sheep were fairly light but not crazed....could turn on the dog at the shed or pen but mostly darted and split to make pens infrequent.

Nice photos Elizabeth. I did enjoy watching your run with Ross--so smooth .

#19 workindogs

workindogs

• Registered Users
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Carolyn,
Thanks for noticing Ross....I love him! He keeps getting better and better.
Ross's theme song should be Sade "Smooth Operator"...I can almost hear it when I run him. He's got massive amounts of feel, a cool head and plenty of guts and come forward to deal with challenging twitchy range ewes.

Elizabeth
Steadfast Stockdogs
Oregon, USA

#20 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Beautiful! It doesn't feel like it could the the same California I live it -- it looks so wide open and empty. Not at all like urban California!

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.