Very aggresive BC

3 replies to this topic

#1 farmdad

farmdad

• Registered Users
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hello,
A year ago my wife was given a 1 yr old BC male from a family who bought him and lived in the DFW area and had a very small backyard. We live on a farm and raise boer goats, Buster is now part of the family and is deeply entrenched into our hearts.
I am sheepdog dumb, I will admit it, but am pretty good at training pointers, I have a 6yr old GSP who if we had any quail would be very busy. I really thought I would be able to work with Buster and have him herding our goats and helping us move and pen them.
Buster is a stud, he is fast, very fast, incredible endurance, and very smart, so I know the problem is not with him, but his trainer. My two main issues are as follows.
1) He is very aggressive, he runs into kids (baby goats), he nips at the kids, and will run right through the middle of the herd barking and biting. Instead of herding he is blowing them up and sending them everywhere.
2) For some reason when I am having to do something with a goat either full grown or kid, Buster will run up and snap/bite them when I am holding them. No he has not punctured the skin, but I don't know why he is doing this.

Any help, advice, pointing in the right direction, etc would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Pam Wolf

Pam Wolf

• Registered Users
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Buster needs training. Those things are not uncommon with young untrained dogs. Check out the area fro a good trainer who runs in USBCHA trials or has good working farm dogs. There is a TX stockdog assoc but I do not know the name, perhaps someone else will have a link to it.
I'd rather be a shepherd than a sheepdogger

#3 ajm

ajm

• Registered Users
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Buster sounds enthusiastic--the charging in to the kids, the barking and biting. Outside of commenting on his enthusiasm, there is nothing about which to remark. The barking and charging should not be allowed, the snapping at the goats is not too good.
As Pam suggested, find a trainer. There are lots of them in Texas. You could get yourself there, with your dog, for a lesson in handling him. My recommendation, however, is to leave him with the pro hand for a couple of months of training. Sometimes a total novice, starting a neophyte dog is a combination whose success is more a miracle than probability. An experienced hand will bring together expert timing, which accelerates any training, and ideal conditions under which, to do the training. You are describing a scenario at home with none of these advantages.

#4 G. Festerling

G. Festerling

• Registered Users
  • 2,081 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that involves horses and dogs.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

http://www.texassheepdogassoc.org/

This maybe a good place to start looking for someone close. Plenty of good hands in TX.

In the classified section are trainers listed.

Posted Image
Blimpie, Belle and Thor! Nothing but trouble!
Good thing that I thrive on trouble!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.