4 replies to this topic

#1 arf2184

arf2184

• Registered Users
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

Not a Border Collie, but still fun.

http://maddieonthings.com/

I have my favorites (and a few that make me worry for Maddie's safety). I don't think either of my dogs would go for this.

~Alison
"The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -- Ambrose Bierce
sig.jpg
http://alisonschinchillas.com

#2 Ancient_Dog

Ancient_Dog

• Registered Users
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Interesting! I would also be very concerned for the safety of the dog. In many of the situations, if the dog slipped she could be seriously hurt. I would never put any of my dogs in poses like that (or at least the dangerous ones). Which leads me to the thought that they could be photoshopped. For me personally, too many of shots are washed out, although that seems to be a technique the photographer likes. I guess he is trying to be like William Wegman but his price point is much cheaper. :lol:

#3 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Interesting! I would also be very concerned for the safety of the dog. In many of the situations, if the dog slipped she could be seriously hurt. I would never put any of my dogs in poses like that (or at least the dangerous ones). Which leads me to the thought that they could be photoshopped. For me personally, too many of shots are washed out, although that seems to be a technique the photographer likes. I guess he is trying to be like William Wegman but his price point is much cheaper. :lol:

None of them look photoshopped to me. You can see the dogs shadow in most of the photos and can see her paws shaped around the object she is standing on (for the uneven objects). Not trying to disagree with you but it just doesn't seem like there would be any reason to photoshop these, plus none of them would be hard to get a dog to do that was used to standing on objects. And maybe it is some photoshopping that gives the photos their "feel" but they look like they were taken on film which would explain why some look blown out and not the "perfect digital photos" most people desire.
Posted Image

#4 Ancient_Dog

Ancient_Dog

• Registered Users
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

None of them look photoshopped to me. You can see the dogs shadow in most of the photos and can see her paws shaped around the object she is standing on (for the uneven objects). Not trying to disagree with you but it just doesn't seem like there would be any reason to photoshop these, plus none of them would be hard to get a dog to do that was used to standing on objects. And maybe it is some photoshopping that gives the photos their "feel" but they look like they were taken on film which would explain why some look blown out and not the "perfect digital photos" most people desire.

I’m not saying this is positively Photoshop, just saying it could be. I really would hate to see the dog fall from some of those heights just for the sake of a composed picture (I wouldn’t let my dogs do it). Perhaps they Photoshopped the safety harnesses only…. who really knows what is real in this digital age. And besides it’s even harder to tell on an image with resolution compatable with the internet (computer screen). Professional Photoshopping is an art form unto itself. Just look at any movie made today. Directors will readily turn to CGI to create scenes and special effectes rather than stage them to make it safer for the actors and reduce cost. Shadows are a piece of cake, most 3D software has lighting controls that let you cast shadows with ease. I can replace the dog’s foot, leg or most any other part of his body with just a little effort and I am an amateur. I use to own a publishing company (retired 2000) and we were doing a lot of cleanup work and color correction with Photoshop and other digital tools way back in the 1990s. ;)

#5 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

I’m not saying this is positively Photoshop, just saying it could be. I really would hate to see the dog fall from some of those heights just for the sake of a composed picture (I wouldn’t let my dogs do it). Perhaps they Photoshopped the safety harnesses only…. who really knows what is real in this digital age. And besides it’s even harder to tell on an image with resolution compatable with the internet (computer screen). Professional Photoshopping is an art form unto itself. Just look at any movie made today. Directors will readily turn to CGI to create scenes and special effectes rather than stage them to make it safer for the actors and reduce cost. Shadows are a piece of cake, most 3D software has lighting controls that let you cast shadows with ease. I can replace the dog’s foot, leg or most any other part of his body with just a little effort and I am an amateur. I use to own a publishing company (retired 2000) and we were doing a lot of cleanup work and color correction with Photoshop and other digital tools way back in the 1990s. ;)

I understand that people do amazing things with technology but if you look at the persons site it just doesn't seem likely they are the type to do that. It looks like him and his dog are traveling the country and he is documenting it in a way he feels is artful. I don't think it's anything more than that.

I agree, I wouldn't let my dog climb to the top of those National Park signs! But a lot of people wouldn't let their dogs near cattle either so to each their own. I personally thought many of the photos were cute and I love anyone who appreciates their dogs and includes them in their lives.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.