BC Boards

You were all right!

I should have listened to all of you and Im sorry! You kept telling me to crate my dog since she likes to chew on things when I am not home (like the cat tower). Well she had good for a little over 2 weeks without destroying anything so I thought she was finally over it. Today she was so bad! My roommate came home to find the rug chewed, cat toys destroyed, clothes chewed and other odds and ends chewed. I wish I knew what caused her to do this (she was only home alone for 3 hours)!!

I still hate the idea but I am going to crate her from now on when Im not home. She would be in there 9 hours a day, 5 days a week unless my roommate is home to let her out which is 2-3 times during the week.

Again I really should have listen to your advice, you are all so knowledgeable and want to help, sorry for not listening. That wont happen again!

Thank you

I'm sorry she destroyed a bunch of stuff, and hopefully your roommate will be able to relieve her from her crate at least some of the time (but they do adjust to being crated that long). If you can get a large enough crate to where she has enough room to really stand up and stretch out she'll be okay. Also consider giving her something like a frozen stuffed kong or raw meaty bones to occupy her for some of the time she's crated.

And finally I want to say that it's very nice of you to come back here and say publicly "I was wrong." It takes a good deal of maturity to be able to do that. So kudos to you.

J.

Good Luck! Make her crate a happy place - indestructible chew toys for when she gets bored and give her some treats as a "thank you" for going in. Padding may be optional now if she is going to destroy it. My dog couldn't have a pad in his crate until he was over 2 years old since he chewed all his bedding. Also, try to introduce her to the crate as gradually as you can (if possible) rather than just popping her in and leaving her for 8-9 hours.

Jovi

Yes, crates are wonderful things :) All of my dogs (past and present) were in crates when we weren't home. They do get used to it. Just make sure you gradually start her off in there like gvc-border said. Also make sure she's getting plenty of exercise when you're home which I'm sure you already know ;)

And finally I want to say that it's very nice of you to come back here and say publicly "I was wrong." It takes a good deal of maturity to be able to do that. So kudos to you.

J.

Everything Julie said, especially this. And everything everyone else said!

Hopefully, your experience will help someone else avoid the same problems.

Even though my dogs are mature, and I could leave the two older ones out while at work, when we got the third (who is, of course, younger) we decided to crate during the workday so that we have no regrets.

I hope crating works out very well for you and your dog. Ours know the routine and when they see it's a workday (by our preparations), they generally go into their crates on their own as we get closer to leaving time.

FWIW, my dog is alone 8 - 10 hours a day, and he has free rein of the house. BUT... he stays on the old sleeping bag, under the table in the living room, which is about a 2.5' X 4' space. So, he essentially crates himself when he's alone, and doesn't seem to mind at all.

Mary

What a lovely, thoughtful post! Regina, this is a brave and wonderful thing to say. Like everyone else, I'm sorry your silly dog had a bad day like that, but I'm pleased you've found a solution.

I'll second what others have said: make the crate her "happy place," give her lots of toys and chewies to work on while you're gone. And CHANGE THEM OUT! Don't just leave the same toys all the time, or they lose value.

Also, I second the large-crate idea. If you've a moderate sized one for now, that's great, but in the long term, do look into a crate that's over-sized for her, if you can. If she has more room to move around, stand up, push her toys around, it will make it easier for her.

My three young dogs (between ages 19 months and 3 -3/4 years) have outgrown need of their crates, but we leave the crates with bedding in them and the doors open. Every night, two of the three youngsters crate themselves and one of our two old dogs usually end up snoozing in the other crate. :)

The trick is to make the crate their "den," and it will become just a part of their life.

Best of luck, and thank you for coming back to tell us how it's going. Take care and pet your pooch for me. :)

~ Gloria

She was in a crate when I first got her but I think I used it for a little over a week. It has been down in the basement since. I set up the crate in my bedroom and wouldnt you know it, she went right in and layed down :). So last night I said, go to bed like I normally do and she walked right in the crate and stayed there all night with the door open. I am one happy Mom :)

So this morning I put some water in there with 2 chew toys, a kong with peanut butter and a stuffed toy. I hope that keeps her entertained until I get home. I actually feel better knowing she will be safe in there, I just hope she doesnt tare her bed apart.

Here is a picture of her inside the crate. I cant believe how big she got because this crate was huge for her before. Do you think I should upgrade to a bigger size?

WillowCrate.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

I always worried about leaving to much water in the crate. If she drinks it all she might have to go potty before you get her out. If she plays in it you have a mess to clean up when you get home.

I have friends that leave icecubes in the waterbowl. They melt slowly, not that much water so they're not crossing paws when she gets home. When I've crated I hang the bowl on the side with a clip, and only leave a bit of water. It's enough to wet their whistles but not enough to cause them to have an accident.

That crate looks like a castle. Perfect!

Yes, I agree ^^^. Crate certainly looks big enough. The one thing I notice is the white container. I am assuming it is a water bowl. It looks like it is not attached to anything to keep it from tipping over. If so, it would be a good idea to get a water container that can be attached to the side of the wire crate. As it is, there is a possibility that it could tip, get the bedding wet and then spill onto that nice hardwood floor. (and hardwood floors do not withstand long exposure to water :) )

Great job.

Jovi

I'm glad you decided to use a crate. I almost lost my dog last year because I left him loose in the house when I wasn't home. He eats things. He can go for a period without touching anything, then one day, he'll decide to chew on something. It's usually a pillow case or blanket or clothes. Last year he ate the thread off the edge of a blanket. I didn't even know he had done it. To make a long story short, he required two surgeries and had a lot of complications and I feared I would lose him. Luckily, he survived. A friend of mine lost her dog earlier this year from eating thread. My dog is over a year and a half old and he still is never left loose in the house when no one is home. If you have heartburn about using a crate, you could always use an x-pen. That is what I use for my dog. It allows him a little more room to move around.

Actually, and Regina can correct me if I'm wrong, that water bowl looks like the type that is attached to the side of the crate. My friend uses them for flyball tournaments.

I agree the crate size looks good, and the stuffed Kong sounds great. I personally wouldn't leave a stuffed toy with her, since she likes to chew things. Ditto on the bed. You may find she can't have a bed for a while, either, until she doesn't eat them. That's strictly for her own safety, as Mary mentioned. Or, maybe she won't eat it. My point is, don't feel bad if you have to take the bed out, she'll survive. :D

I'm glad she hopped right in when you set it up. We didn't have a crate up for the last couple of years, but recently set one back up. All the dogs take turns going in there and Alex even sleeps in it pretty regularly at night (his choice, the door is always open).

Best of luck, she sure is cute!

PS. Ditto to whoever said to give her a treat for going in. We did that with all of our dogs when they were still being crated, and when it was time to leave for work, all we had to do was go to the "cookie jar" and whoever was being crated would run ahead and be waiting in the crate for the treat. :) Easy peasy!

crates are a very good thing. lots of folks think they are cruel, but dogs like a safe spot to go and it is good for border collies that need a place to shut off. You can get buckets for the crate for water. I always leave water in the crate and haven't ever had a problem. my little rescue use to chew things up, mostly stress and separation anxiety. my boy would also chew things up. Once I started crating and making crates a great place for them, Neither one ever chewed up another thing. Good luck!

Crate size looks great. I would second what was said about the cushion; remove it during the day time. She WILL start to chew it at some point. You can buy a 2'X 3' thin floor mat at Wall Mart that will do for the floor so it isn't slippery during the day. Rotating the toys is a good plan too. As is making sure the water bowl can't be tipped over. If that one isn't, you can buy great ones that screw onto the side and elevated part way up. Which gives her a little more room and less likely to kick over by accident. You can get them at Pet Smart in the bird section. They hold about 2 cups of water which is plenty for that length of time. Keep doing all this until she is at least 2 or 3 yrs.old if not longer.

cheers Lani

Wow, that's a GORGEOUS crate! Enough room for her to do back flips, if she wants! :P

I will second or third the caution about leaving her with that lovely bedding when you're not home. If she's as destructive a chewer as you said, then one of these days, you WILL come home and find the house adrift in tufts of stuffing. Which is a pain to clean up and you don't want to keep buying new beds when she wrecks them, but as others have said, if she ingests part of the bedding, it could be really awful.

So, when you're away from home, take the bedding out, leave her indestructible toys, and change the toys out every so often, so they don't become boring. You can put her nice bed back in when you come home each day. Sounds like you're already on a good path with her, so congratulations!

Oh, and to answer your original question as to why she would chew so destructively ... probably a combination of things. She may become anxious that you're gone and she may become bored with nobody to keep her company. Once they start on a chewing binge like that, it's so self-gratifying they kind of don't stop until they're through! :huh: So, that's why it may be a bad idea, at this stage of her life, to leave the bed in the crate when you're not home.

Good work with the wee girl! Keep it up! :)

~ Gloria

Well spoiled little brat Willow now has a bigger crate, lol. I couldnt help myself... I work PT at a pet store after my FT job and I kept looking at the next size up from her's. I actually ended up paying only $10 for the larger crate since I exchanged the smaller crate for the larger one. I was thinking of getting the pen but I got such a good deal on the crate I couldnt pass it up. It makes me feel better that she has more room and she is safe. Now she can defiantly do flips and chase her tail if she wants :).

I have an old bed (no stuffing) in the crate during the day just incase she gets any idea's which knock on wood she has not chewed it yet. I give her plenty of toys to play with and I leave the radio on, lol. O and the water bowl is connected to the crate, she has a habit of picking up the dishes even if there full of water and dumping them :rolleyes: .

Here is a picture of Willow and her nice new HUGE crate :D

WillowCrate9months.jpg

Thanks again!

Archived