New kitten question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxedodog

Tuxedodog

• Registered Users
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

We got Ziggy Stardust from a rescue a few weeks ago at 8 weeks of age. He was found wandering the streets of Philadelphia at the tender age of 2 weeks. He is a very self-assured, and very active kitten. He "plays" with the "big" cats and usually things get very rough. The big guys don't necessarily give back with the same ferocity that they are attacked by the little one, but I am sure it would hurt me. He runs into walls, doors and the petgate that keeps the dogs from "snacking" in the litterboxes. This morning my husband stepped on Ziggy's paw and he was surprised that he didn't get the shriek and run away that the others would do. Ziggy just went over and started sucking and kneading on the fuzzy bathmat. It has been 5 years since the next youngest was a kitten, but I can remember him shrieking when the alpha cat got too rough with him. Ziggy needs to learn some manners, but hopefully not the hard way. He is just beginning to respect the dogs after he got snapped at trying to eat out of Buster's dish -and growled at for chewing on Romana's legs. I am just worried that he feels no pain, he doesn't seem to feel heat, he has to be moved away from the fireplace and opening the oven door requires that someone hold him so he doesn't jump in. Is he just an overconfident kitten, or do you think there is something wrong with him? We go to the vet for his rabies shot in another few weeks.

#2 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't know about the pain thing but my cats LOVED sitting an inch away from the burning hot fireplace. I wondered if they were going to set on fire. When I would pick them up and move them their fur was HOT. Same thing when they would go outside and lay on the hot blacktop driveway. I couldn't walk on it barefoot and they were sprawled out on it. I think some cats just like it warm.

#3 The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd

• Registered Users
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Sorry, nothing to add, but a pic of the hooligan would be nice :D
Claudia (AKA wantabe handler)

Eldemar's Elsie (AKA LC - Lovable Cuteness), B'Sweet Vibe (AKA Daddy's Boy)

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are

#4 Tuxedodog

Tuxedodog

• Registered Users
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Sorry, nothing to add, but a pic of the hooligan would be nice :D

Here you go, tiny terror, day 1. It is probably one of the few times he was caught sitting still that he wasn't asleep.

Attached Files

#5 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

Oh, my dog, he's ADORABLE! :)

It's been years since we had a busy baby kitty, too, but I think your boy may just be a supremely confident - and somewhat foolhardy - little rascal. :)

We had a cat years ago who not only loved our propane heater, several times he actually MELTED part of his tail! We'd smell burning hair and then realize Smokey was standing there with his butt against the fire-window, while his fluffy tail blackened and curled against the asbestos glass! And yes, we stepped on him several times a week.

Smokey was clueless about danger pretty much his entire life. One time my hubby was unsaddling a horse that was NOT real gentle, and Smokey came out to the corral to visit. Not only did Smokey walk under the horse, but then he stropped his whole body right against the horse's hind leg! That horse blew up like a hand grenade, saddle, blankets and husband each making their escapes in different directions. When the dust settled, (and the poor horse stood naked, blowing and peering around in the center of the corral) we thought we'd find Smokey stomped to bits. Nope, he was fine. Rumpled and disgruntled but unharmed. :D

So, I'd say you just have one of Those. Our current version is named Butch, and while we don't have any horses or gas stoves for him to test, I have to push him out of the way of the vacuum cleaner and we double-check before moving any of our vehicles. ;)

Enjoy Ziggy, love him and just be extra, extra vigilant! BTW, against all odds, (and after several other narrow escapes) our Smokey lived to be 16 years old. ;)
Cheers ~

Gloria

P.S.
If Ziggy goes outdoors, be REAL careful of him going into the engine compartment of your vehicles ...
You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#6 Tuxedodog

Tuxedodog

• Registered Users
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reassurance, he seems totally oblivious while viewing the world at warp 6. Ziggy will be an indoor cat, as is the last kitten, we decided he was too headlong and oblivious to go outside and he was not nearly this wound up.

I can't complain about Ziggy's outgoing personality. My Mother-in-law passed away the day after we got him, and my husband said Ziggy really helped him focus on other things, this was echoed by the house full of relatives who came to stay with us, including my Father-in-law.

#7 tinkerdexter

tinkerdexter

• Registered Users
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like typical crazy kitten to me. I have 2 that are 14 weeks old. I've ha them since they were born :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.