#21 Donald McCaig

Donald McCaig

Geezer

• Registered Users
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

Dear Wouldbe Sheepdoggers,

It is counterintuitive but:

Auditing your first clinic - or first clinics - without a dog is often more beneficial than bringing Spot. If you bring Spot you may be so concerned about: "How did my Spot do?", "Is my Spot promising?", "Am I looking ridiculous?" (You will be but nobody will care). that the instructor's lessons go unheard. Too - you're likely to hear only the one thing that at today's skill level you are able to accomplish "Lie down!", "Get off!" "You better listen!!!!" being popular choices - instead of hearing advice for where you'll be next month or the month after.

I don't know a single top handler who learned his/her skills without a mentor. Unless you're fortunate in your choice of neighbors, the only way to learn how to handle a sheepdog is coaching and clinics.

I've been doing this for 25 years. I had a lesson with Barbara Ray yesterday.

Donald McCaig

#22 shysheperdess

shysheperdess

• Registered Users
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I think Kathy Knox sounds like the closest clinician I can get to, and I've heard ALOT of wonderful things about her!!!! Bummer the clinic isn't until July...but I'll keep at with my guy until then...we'll keep things fast, and fun...I'll keep him on his feet, asking for flanks and walk ups, etc.

I also posted on the "ask and expert" section...maybe AJM will have some expert advice also??

Thanks all for the input :)

#23 bc soul sista

bc soul sista

• Registered Users
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

I had kind of a similar problem with my dog when I bought him...I think alot of it is just developing a relationship with the dog and "figuring eachother out" kinda stuff..

I was lucky to have a dog who tried his heart out for me, but still had to learn to deal with my...ugh..relative "handicap" compared to his previous owner ;) Me being a novice n all also...

I would second staying in close contact with who you bought him from, they know the dog best, will probably know where the dogs weaknesses are and can help you!!

I do alot of fun short sessions with my guy, always keeping him on his feet and moving!!! I know it's hard being a novice, you want to stop the dog alot so you can THINK :D But I'm starting to learn the "flow" of just working my dog!! Remember this is supposed to be FUN!!! And I try and go out there with that attitude with my young guy!!!

He has taught me so much already!!!! :) :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.