• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie Meier

Debbie Meier

• Registered Users
  • 2,324 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much all stockdogs...for now

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

I got talked into it, this weekend Ricky and I will be stepping to the post down at the Knoxs' at their benefit trial. I hear that the cheviots are fun to pen...just hope that we have a chance to find out.

Wish us luck, I will be repeating all week..trust your dog....trust your dog...when I'm not taking a real hard look at the quality of work I am allowing here around the farm. Oh I wish we were not in the middle of a nasty cold spell.
Posted Image

http://leaningtreebcs.blogspot.com/

"Every poor one you continue to work with equates to a good one that you never get the opportunity to own"- M. Christopher

#2 red russel

red russel

• Registered Users
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

watch your sheep and trust your dog. Have a great time and you win!!!

dave

Dave

Lead Me On

Ursula's Boarding & Training

#3 Debbie Meier

Debbie Meier

• Registered Users
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Dave, I'm getting alot of support from handlers down that way, have two places to stop in to work sheep along the way and get some more outruns under our belt, that is where I am nervous as we don't have the field work here. One way or another, I'm certain that we will have fun, and get some good work in.
Posted Image

"Every poor one you continue to work with equates to a good one that you never get the opportunity to own"- M. Christopher

#4 The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd

• Registered Users
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Debbie

Trust your dog :D

Elsie is keeping her paws crossed (when she is not running the sheep over me :rolleyes: )
Claudia (AKA wantabe handler)

Eldemar's Elsie (AKA LC - Lovable Cuteness), B'Sweet Vibe (AKA Daddy's Boy)

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are

#5 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

From what I saw of Jack's sheep, if your dog is right they will work just fine for you. (Which is true of most sheep.) Good luck.

Posted Image
Dangerous Dreams Farm

#6 Debbie Meier

Debbie Meier

• Registered Users
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'll let you guys know how it goes. First time out on the field and we will be running Open and Nursery each day, I will be happy if we can get an outrun, lift and fetch even just once. Any more will be a bonus, though I think if Ricky can get me the sheep without getting a thank you we will be in business until the pen, but...I might be wrong.

Deb
Posted Image

#7 Pearse

Pearse

• Registered Users
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'll let you guys know how it goes. First time out on the field and we will be running Open and Nursery each day, I will be happy if we can get an outrun, lift and fetch even just once. Any more will be a bonus, though I think if Ricky can get me the sheep without getting a thank you we will be in business until the pen, but...I might be wrong.

Deb

Hopefully, see you there!

Pearse

#8 Debbie Meier

Debbie Meier

• Registered Users
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Cool! Don't laugh too hard at me now!

Just came in from working Ricky, he's giving me one of those, "What do you mean I can't put a hook at the end of my flanks and outruns anymore, our sheep don't mind."

Deb
Posted Image

#9 Debbie Meier

Debbie Meier

• Registered Users
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Well, didn't go as bad as I expected, learned lots and have lots to work on. Loved the sheep! Used Ricky here at home yesterday, he handled our sheep differently, so that a good sign that he learned something at the trial.

Big thanks to both Monty Hogue and Thad Fleming for letting me work Ricky on Friday afternoon. Things got a little western at Thad's but both Thad and Mike Goracke convinced me to hang in there and give it a go on Saturday. Just keep working on openning up those flanks.

So glad that I can stop and redirect my dog on his outruns, saved us from having a real big wreck and by our third time to the post I didn't need to redirect him, Yippee!!

The plan is no more cattle trials until closer to Cattledog Finals, need to work on our out work on sheep and get our lookback and double lifts solid. With any luck we will be ready for Finals, plan on running Ricky both Open and Nursery at the cattledog finals.
Posted Image

#10 The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd

• Registered Users
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Debbie and Ricky :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Claudia (AKA wantabe handler)

Eldemar's Elsie (AKA LC - Lovable Cuteness), B'Sweet Vibe (AKA Daddy's Boy)

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are

#11 Donald McCaig

Donald McCaig

Geezer

• Registered Users
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

Dear Sheepdoggers (and Cattledoggers),

It takes courage to get out there, whether the first Novice trial, the first open run, the first run on a big course, the first Finals, the first Double Lift . . .it isn't just my ego/pride/dignity at stake, it's my dog's. I know how wonderful he is. Will experienced eyes agree with me? Will anyone say "Well done"?

I admire those who take the chance -on a small course with trial broke sheep or a big open course with range ewesd who've never seen a sheepdog before. It takes guts to put your heart on the line.

Donald McCaig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.