66 replies to this topic

#61 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,033 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

There were many pet dogs - some of them pint-sized long before there were conformation shows. There are abundant pet dogs in places where there are no dog shows. Pet dogs were acquired from owners of other pet dogs that were deemed sufficiently appealing to breed. And of course there were unsupervised, "accidental" matings. Now we have the means to prevent the latter - spay/neuter clinics - and since there will always be those who fail to, or do not wish to avail themselves of them, there will always be pet dogs having pups. For centuries there have been people who acquired their pets this way, and there are abundant, effusive and and heartfelt testimonials that attest to the admirable qualities of such dogs.

If every conformation dog on the planet suddenly vaporized, there would still be a huge reservoir of intact, loving, healthy and charming dogs who could make excellent pets and could give birth to more.

They might not closely resemble Bulldogs, German Shepherd Dogs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels or Pugs. But I think that could be a good thing, eh?

I'm not compulsive!  I do this all the time!

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

#62 Grizel

Grizel

• Registered Users
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

I don't think dogs should be bred for companions at all, as radical as that might be...Not while shelters are euthanizing healthy, adoptable pets.

Just to clarifyÖ my question was purely theoretical, since I donít think that conformation breeding is going anywhere. That last thing I would want to do is encourage more breeding.

I think that is where a lot of the sport breeders could be of use for the other breeds. For example there are a few breeders who breed lines of obedience/agility papillons. I'm sure there are similar lines in many breeds.

Years ago, I encountered a line of shelties that were bred for obedience. They didnít look much like the other shelties Ė they were a little larger, didnít have the big coats and didnít come in a lot of colors. But they were cute, sharp little dogs.

#63 terrecar

terrecar

Senior Moment

• Registered Users
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

If every conformation dog on the planet suddenly vaporized, there would still be a huge reservoir of intact, loving, healthy and charming dogs who could make excellent pets and could give birth to more.

They might not closely resemble Bulldogs, German Shepherd Dogs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels or Pugs. But I think that could be a good thing, eh?

At last we agree...

#64 Mark Billadeau

Mark Billadeau

Bill Nye Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:science, working dogs, sheep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:05 AM

Saying that the AKC ruins dogs is not quite accurate.

Yes it is.

In-breeding increases and concentrates genetic mutations in gene pools.
Out crossing offsets these effects.
The AKC promotes and requires in-breeding and abhors out-crossing.
The AKC requires genetic purity even in the face of unhealthy gene pools.
Breed formation and trait fixing (required to enter the AKC) lead to genetic bottlenecks and very small gene pools.

There's nothing I believe in more strongly than getting young people interested in science and engineering, for a better tomorrow, for all humankind.

Bill Nye

#65 terrecar

terrecar

Senior Moment

• Registered Users
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Breed formation and trait fixing (required to enter the AKC) lead to genetic bottlenecks and very small gene pools.

'zactly...there's something to be said for hybrid vigor

#66 Mark Billadeau

Mark Billadeau

Bill Nye Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:science, working dogs, sheep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hybrid vigor is only valid when the two gene pools being crossed do not carry the same genetic mutations

i.e. Crossing two muts that are carriers for ______ (fill in the blank) is no better than breeding two pure-breds that are carriers of _______ (fill in the blank)

There's nothing I believe in more strongly than getting young people interested in science and engineering, for a better tomorrow, for all humankind.

Bill Nye

#67 terrecar

terrecar

Senior Moment

• Registered Users
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hybrid vigor is only valid when the two gene pools being crossed do not carry the same genetic mutations

i.e. Crossing two muts that are carriers for ______ (fill in the blank) is no better than breeding two pure-breds that are carriers of _______ (fill in the blank)

Actually, you're right about this. Thank you :)

ETA: Leash pop!!:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.