BC Boards

Miss Maddie

Root Beer

Several weeks ago, Maddie developed some digestive issues. At first I thought it was routine and we treated it and it seemed to improve. But soon after, she stopped eating, and over the last few weeks, she ate less and less, and that started to take a toll on her, in a major way, last week.

We did as much testing as we could manage, but in the end no cause was found.

Last night we let her go.

Maddie was an awesome dog. We got her as a rescue when she was about 2 in June of 2002. Her original people had moved and just left her behind. She got lucky. Instead of calling Animal Control, one of the neighbors got her to a private rescue, we found her on Petfinder, and the rest is history.

She and Sammie and Speedy grew up together. Speedy wasn't even a year old when she joined our household. It's strange now to think of them all being young together, but those were good times. We got into Agility when she was close to 5 years old. I had gotten into training with Speedy and I wanted another dog to train. Maddie and I started doing Agility because it was the only sport we tried that she didn't hate. Later in life she did a little Freestyle, but Maddie became my Agility dog. She is the one who taught me to love the sport, and she always had a great time running, even when she was a big old stinker!!

She loved to go to camp every summer. She loved the beach. She loved her brothers and she enjoyed her new little sister who came last year. She loved our yard. She loved to lay in the sun. She loved to snuggle in front of the fire on a cold winter evening. She loved to sleep and she loved to play. She had so much joy. More than I even realized at the time.

I am grateful that I was unemployed last year and I got to spend the whole winter with my dogs. It helps knowing that I was with her so much during her last year. And I am glad that we had one last good summer. It's hard to believe that it was just over a month ago that she was enjoying the beach - older, slower - but still herself and still having a great time.

DandelionMaddie2.jpg

I will miss you forever, Miss Maddie Lynn.

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more her favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.

~ Author Unknown

Vaya con Dios, Maddie.

I am so sorry to hear this, Kristine. Rest assured that Miss Maddie could not have had a kinder, more loving home than with you - and I am sure she was a very happy dog throughout all her days in your pack.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost Maddie. She sounded like a very special dog with a very special owner. Run free at the Bridge Maddie...

"There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who chose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given." Suzanne Clothier "Bones would Rain from the Sky

Archived