22nd OCCASIONAL HIGHLAND SHEEPDOG TRIAL

MCCAIG FARM, WILLIAMSVILLE, VIRGINIA 24487

3,4,5 Sept 2011

Open: Saturday and Sunday

Monday: Nursery, Open Ranch, Pro-Novice, Novice/Novice in that order

TO BENEFIT: Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

USBCHA/VBCA Sanctioned

Judge: Anet Haithcox

50 acre field. Commercial wool sheep. Ribbons, no prize money.

We are thirty minutes from a convenience store, an hour from diesel and supermarket. Your Cellphone and GPS won’t work in Heaven, Hell or Here. Best you arrive in daylight. We have water/ no hookups.

We’ll provide morning coffee and biscuits, burgers at noon and feed you Saturday night. Friday and Sunday nights, you’re on your own.

We will have a blessing of the dogs – probably Saturday at noon.

Handler’s meeting: 6:30 am

The only close accommodation is Fort Lewis Lodge. www.fortlewislodge.com..Book early. Barbara Ray’s Big Bend Farm www.bigbendfarm.com has a cabin several could share. Next nearest motels (about 1 hour) are in Staunton, Lexington or Warm Springs.

Open limit: 40 dogs. Enter your third dog separately. If we exceed 40 postmark day entries I’ll draw promptly and post the wait list on Sheepdog L. If you enter and don’t hear from me, you’re in.

Time permitting the top three handlers will compete in a double lift Sunday pm.

POSTMARK DAY: July 26, 2011

DIRECTIONS:

Anything longer than an F 150 pulling a 19 foot trailer is a BIG RIG

From the north and east and BIG RIGS. In Staunton take US 250 West until you cross a wee mountain. At the bottom entering Headwaters, turn left on 616 (The only road). At the bridge T junction left on Cowpasture River Rd. We are 12.8 miles from 250 and you’ll cross the river three times. At the third bridge you’ll pass Berriedale Rd. Continue 1/10th mile. On your right you’ll see a sheepdog pointing leftward and on the left, the Yucatec Farm sign marks your road.

If BIG RIGS overshoot, continue a mile or so to the Fire Department, turn, return past the farm (DON’T ATTEMPT THE MAILBOX ROAD. last BR who ignored the warning cost him $1000 in damages), Uturn at Sugar Tree Road (marked with a sign) and make a second pass at the BIG RIG road. You’ll get here sooner or later. We haven’t lost anyone yet.

From the south and west (NO BIG RIGS): In Millboro Springs turn left on Rte 39. After one mile, right on 678. 1/2 hr to Williamsville , cross the bridge on Rte 614. 1.8 miles to a blue mailbox on your right. Descend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mail to McCaig, 10983 Cowpasture River Rd S, Williamsville, Va. 24487

Handler: Ph or Email #:

Dog: Class:

Dog. Class:

Entry Fee: $28 per dog

This is a nice trial in an absolutely beautiful location, and benefitting Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue - what's not to like? Don't miss it if you can attend, even for just a day or as a spectator (or volunteer).

Dear Donald - DH said that if the calves are vaccinated and weaned in time, I'll be able to come as a volunteer (and return that Dri-Marker that I left in my pocket two years ago...).

• 2 months later...

Archived