Photo

Kelso

429 replies to this topic

#241 JohnLloydJones

JohnLloydJones

• Registered Users
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I just read John's thread about Taff, also...another great story...I hope he will update us on Taff.

Taff half ear was adopted by a nice family and can look forward to living the good life with a woman and daughter who adore him. He is greatly missed, not least by my female, Senneca, who moped for three weeks after he left. Taff was a "middle of the road" Texas dog; neither so traumatized as Kelso, nor as unaffected as some others. I learned a lot while helping him to become a normal dog and feel privileged to have had the experience of working with him. Here he is at our last Test 21 get together:

Posted Image

and here is how I best remember him; squealing excitedly on the way to the dog park:

Posted Image

#242 Northof49

Northof49

• Registered Users
  • 906 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

Taff half ear was adopted by a nice family and can look forward to living the good life with a woman and daughter who adore him. He is greatly missed, not least by my female, Senneca, who moped for three weeks after he left. Taff was a "middle of the road" Texas dog; neither so traumatized as Kelso, nor as unaffected as some others.

Suzy is doing great up here in Canada and so is Gentle Ben- being older - they certainly weren't traumatized like the younger generations. Suzy and Gentle Ben got to meet each other in October at our agility trial and they were sooooo excited to see each other - it was a very happy renunion.

It is interesting to see on the Border Collie Rescut of Texas yahoo support group that each successive generation was worse than the previous one.

#243 JohnLloydJones

JohnLloydJones

• Registered Users
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

Suzy is doing great up here in Canada and so is Gentle Ben- being older - they certainly weren't traumatized like the younger generations. Suzy and Gentle Ben got to meet each other in October at our agility trial and they were sooooo excited to see each other - it was a very happy renunion.

Good to read that Suzy is doing well. She was always excited at meeting old friends in our reunions, so I can well imagine that she was happy to meet Gentle Ben.

From what I can understand, the Jefferson situation worsened over time, so the older dogs had experienced better times and were better socialized, whereas the youngest dogs had little human contact.

#244 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Dogzoomies, if you have a little tri blue merle from Jefferson, chances are that she and Kelso are related.

Thanks so much everyone who said that Kelso's story is helpful to people and other dogs. That is so wonderful, and makes my heart warm. I have a friend who knows how to make a movie from snippets of video and still shots, and so eventually I will work with her to make a little movie about Kelso's journey. My greatest hope, even though I know it could be overly ambitious on my part, is that somehow his story could have an effect of some kind on puppy mills. Or help someone to support legislation that would make puppy mills illegal. Or help that situation in any way at all.

And, yes, kitten-and-Kelso photos will eventually show up here!
D'Elle

D'Elle

Border Collies Jester and Kit; small dogs Digger and Boo, and cats Ben and Mingo

Below left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that? You gonna throw that?" --Jester
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit
(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

#245 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

I haven't written a Kelso update for much too long, and of course now I am not sure when some things started or when this or that was a "first". But I can tell you that Kelso is still making progress, which is the main thing.

Mornings now start with Kelso lunging his front paws up onto the bed near my head and bouncing back down again. Lunge-bounce. Lunge-bounce. Until I start petting him, and then he rolls his head around, licks my hands, and in general expresses his delight that I am awake, it's a New Day and now we can Go Outside!

He waits with the other dogs until released to leave the bedroom. then he dashes out, grabs the first thing he comes to (shoe, piece of newspaper, he isn't picky) and shakes it back and forth while whining his excited whine, and carries it, running, to the back door, where he deposits it. Waits nicely again with the others until released, then dashes out the back door squealing and barking with glee. He makes sounds these days just like the ones that John's Taff made on the way to the dog park. It's so cute.

Kelso will come to me now when I call him, although he usually doesn't come right up to me unless I have food. I can approach him directly and he usually stays still and lets me walk right up to him. He comes occasionally and approaches me all on his own, to be petted. If he enters the room and I put out my hand he will come to me. I can trim his claws, file them down, brush and bathe him, check his teeth and ears, and he simply holds still and allows me to do it. He has grown to trust me a good deal, and I am very happy about that. His appetite is healthy, he loves to play his tug games and to run outside with the other dogs. We have been on long walks and hikes and he does great as long as we do not run into any other people. He is allowed off leash in the front part of my property which is unfenced, but not on walks. I cannot yet trust his recall in a strange place.

I adopted a baby kitten in November -- black and white to match the border collies :-) -- and the kitten l♥ves the dogs! He attacks them constantly, goading them to play with him, and Kelso has the patience of Job with that kitten who, to him, must seem like a harmless but irritating little monster. Kelso acts just like my Jester dog, who has lived with a cat most of his life. Patient, kind, and sweet.

Getting Kelso socialized is proving to be a challenge for me. I live 20 miles outside of town, making it a minimum of an hour round trip to almost anywhere, and my natural reclusiveness (along with house projects!) tends to keep me at home on my days off. I only rarely have visitors. Another ABCR person suggested I join the BC Meetup group here and take Kelso to the meetups with other border collies. Seems that is a good idea so I think I will do that. There even may be a chance to take him to be tested on sheep! I would love to do that. He simply needs the exposure, although it may take a long time for him to start being comfortable around other people. He seems to think that there are only two kinds of people: His Person (safe and good) and Everyone Else (scary and bad).

Most of the time when I am the only human being in my house he acts pretty much just like one of my dogs. You wouldn't know, if you were the proverbial fly on the wall, that he is different. But when another person enters the picture, he is a different dog entirely.

Kelso continues to be an easy keeper. He will make someone such a wonderful companion dog one day. He is undemanding, ready to play or go for a walk any time, and very well mannered in the house. He has never chewed anything, or gotten into the garbage or counter-surfed. He usually doesn't bark (although he has woken me up at night barking at god-knows-what a few times). He has not growled or whimpered in his sleep for months now, and instead twitches his legs running in his dreams like a normal dog.

Recently I left the dogs inside because rain was predicted, and to my dismay was kept away from home much longer than I had planned. When I came back the dogs had been inside for over 12 hours, but no one had done one bad thing. I think for Kelso, a dog who had never heard of potty training 9 months ago, that is pretty darned good. I was proud of him.

All in all he is doing really well. He is a happy dog, who has learned what it is like to be a dog in a family and have a home. Now, if I can just get him socialized so that he will accept a stranger, he'll be a success story! :)
D'Elle

D'Elle

Border Collies Jester and Kit; small dogs Digger and Boo, and cats Ben and Mingo

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#246 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 11,445 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

What a wonderful write-up of so many of Kelso's advances! Aren't you glad you are "His Person"? Sounds like he is very glad that you are!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#247 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Indeed, SueR, it feels like an honor to have this time with Kelso. People keep asking me how I will ever give him up, as fond of him as I am and as long as he is staying here, but to me that will be the greatest victory of all - when he is ready to move on to a Forever home. :)

D'Elle

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#248 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yes, I know he'll be ready to move on some day but, for now, you are his world and I am so pleased for him.

And how did I miss that Taff-Half-Ear was adopted? Congrats to John Lloyd Jones and the Taff-Man!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#249 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

Wow, thanks for the update. Kelso is doing marvelously!

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#250 beachdogz

beachdogz

• Registered Users
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thank you for posting!! I have been checking back periodically and hoping for a new post....sounds like things are going as they should....slowly but surely. :)
"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely, the world will be changed for that one dog"

Posted Image

Kylie Rusty Stormy

#251 JohnLloydJones

JohnLloydJones

• Registered Users
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Indeed, SueR, it feels like an honor to have this time with Kelso. People keep asking me how I will ever give him up, as fond of him as I am and as long as he is staying here, but to me that will be the greatest victory of all - when he is ready to move on to a Forever home.

Each one of these Jefferson dogs amazes me. They lived through terrible conditions and yet they emerged with no anger or bitterness. The time Taff half ear spent with me was a deep learning experience for both of us and, like Constance, I felt it was both an honour and privilege to accompany Taff through his re-birth and help him learn to be a new dog. When he left for his new home, he left behind a void far exceeding his diminutive size. Many hands worked to help him on his way; every single person who contributed to his new life deserves a big thanks. Towards the end of his stay with me, Taff expressed his thanks by licking my hand as we drove home from he dog park each evening. Those thanks were meant for the whole team of rescuers from Texas to Arizona. Good boy, Taff. Enjoy your new home.

#252 dogger_woggers

dogger_woggers

• Registered Users
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Good boy, Kelso! He has blossomed so well under your care, it is just amazing! I'm sure you'll find him the forever home that will love and cherish him as much as you have.

And please post some pictures of that little kitten with him! I can't imagine how adorable that must be!

#253 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Last night I was sitting in the living room reading and felt a dog nose nudge me. Automatically I put down the nearest hand to pet whoever it was asking for attention. Imagine my surprise and delight when I looked down and it was Kelso!
That is the first time that he has ever actually approached me, on his own and uninvited, and asked me for attention. Isn't that *cool*? I felt like throwing a party. :)

This morning when I let the dogs out, he ran as usual to the back of the yard. A few minutes later as I was making coffee, I looked out and he was doing the Zoomies all over the back yard. Best and most important of all, he was running like a dog! His hind legs were coming forward, his back was flexing, and his front legs were leaping out. That is the first time I have seen Kelso run that way, with a fluid motion. He has always had such a stiff gait -- almost more of a hop than a run. He reminded me of a gazelle instead of a dog, he kept his legs so stiff. This morning, although his gait was still much stiffer than a normal dog, he was flexing his body in a genuine canine-style run. It sure put a grin on my face!

I am now thinking that perhaps he is not truly crippled genetically after all, although his front legs are crooked and will no doubt always remain so. Perhaps his stiffness is mostly, or entirely, from simply never having had any exercise in his life until he came here. Being kept in a cage all the time will atrophy muscles, I would think. But I think now that with enough time they may be able to rejuvenate.

Today I am going to take him in the car to the hardware store 7 miles away from where I live, and see how he does there. It is the closest place to my home, a tiny rural store, without a lot of activity, so it might be a good place for him to start getting socialized. I have had a hard time getting myself to do this because I like to stay home on days off, and also because so far every time Kelso has been in the car there's been a massive clean-up job to do. But, get out the tarps, I gotta do it. Will report later on how it went. :-)
D'Elle
PS Oh, and yes, I will try to get pictures of Kelso and the kitten.

D'Elle

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#254 Beach BCs

Beach BCs

Life's A Beach!

• Registered Users
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yay Kelso!!!
Kate

Georgia, Texas & Faith

#255 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

That is such good news, that he is beginning to be able to run about in a more normal way. I imagine that being in a small cage 24/7 would have had profound effects on his muscles, joints and bones. Poor guy. You're doing a wonderful job with him!

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#256 mbc1963

mbc1963

My Dog Is Grouchier Than Your Dog.

• Registered Users
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

Excellent!

I know a guy who adopted an Aussie who'd been in a crate her whole life. He thought she was crippled - her back legs were smaller and much less muscular than a normal dog's legs. But... after a few months of exercise, the legs looked normal. They had just been atrophied by life in a crate. (This was quite a young dog - so I imagine she rebounded better than an older dog would.)

Mary

#257 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Kelso's first trip to the hardware store went pretty well.
He wouldn't get into the car (as usual), but let me put him in. On the way there he didn't throw up (yay!), although he did create one little round piece of poop. It made me laugh. I know some people get "the farts" when nervous, and I wonder if perhaps he does too, only this time it was a "fart with a lump in it". (Please forgive me if I sound crude to anyone....I thought it was amusing).

We simply stood outside the hardware store about 10 feet from the door long enough for two people to go in and back out again, which was about 10 minutes. He drooled steadily but did not try to get away from me. Neither did he move up close to me, but just not trying to get away is progress. When I invited him back into the car, he got in on his own. (double Yay!)

On the way home, we had to pull over so that he could throw up, poor guy. I think he may have motion sickness as well as fear, so I will try taking him just down the road a little ways and back as often as I can just to get him used to the car.

Gosh, this dog has still such a long road ahead of him! Other Jefferson dogs have already been adopted, and Kelso is still learning how to ride in a car.

It makes me wonder what all the factors are that make such a great difference between them, although of course we will never know. Surely an individual dog's sensitivity would be a big one. Kelso is *Very soft and sensitive. And some of the dogs were loose on the property when they were liberated, while others were caged. As I said, we will never know.

I hear from some of the folks that are fostering dogs from the McKinney hoarding situation (also in Texas). One of them, after a year and a half now, still will not come to the foster person when called. Those dogs were all loose, and many were feral. I think that would be even more of a challenge to deal with than Kelso has been.

What I focus on mostly is how far he has come, and the great blessing that he has formed a bond with me. I am so thankful for that, and think that if I had tried to get him out into the world previously it would have been harder. At least now he has a "safe zone" which is portable: me!

He was playing with the kitten last night again. The camera is never where I need it to be in order to catch these moments, and if I get up to go get it, Kelso stops playing.

Thanks again to everyone who is reading this. If I had not started this thread I would not have kept track of his progress nearly as well.
D'Elle

D'Elle

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#258 beachdogz

beachdogz

• Registered Users
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thank you, thank you for the updates....I just love reading them!

Have you considered giving him a glucosamine supplement for his joints?? Might help and certainly wouldn't hurt. You can actually get glucosamine chews on line (as well as from the vet.) Made a world of difference for my neighbor's dog.

Just think how lucky Kelso is to have found you for all your patience. Some dogs adapt quicker than others...I certainly have learned that. And your willingness to see him through this no matter how long it takes is so wonderful.
"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely, the world will be changed for that one dog"

Posted Image

Kylie Rusty Stormy

#259 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Kelso is doing great these days. He lies at my feet. He will come happily trotting and wagging across the floor to get petted if I so much as smile and say his name. He may actually jump up on the bed one of these days.

He goes into ecstatic whining and woo-woo-ing when we are going out for a walk, to play, or even when I am letting them out to go potty in the yard. He smiles a lot. He loves to grab things and mouth them. He has chewed the corner off a piece of furniture and off a rug. I don't care (although I am trying to discourage that behavior), because he is playing like a puppy when he does it.

He continues to play beautifully with the kitten, Ben, who loves him. The things he puts up with from Ben! Ben grabs his whole face in his front legs and bites Kelso on the cheek. Kelso just smiles. When Ben lets go, Kelso puts his mouth over Ben's head or neck, but never closes his mouth. He never growls at Ben, and is always completely gentle. Ben has learned to play without hard teeth and claws because I have taught him to play with me that way, and so no one is getting injured. It is completely adorable to watch. I think the way he acts, Kelso really is fond of Ben.

Interestingly, Kelso doesn't seem to be turning out to be a Soft dog. He is very fearful of everything that is not within his home and family safe zone, but when I say No to him it doesn't faze him a bit. I take a shoe away from him, saying "NO!" and he just grins at me. Although he will still duck away if I come toward him too fast with a hand, or if I touch him from behind and he is startled, he seems now to think that there's no way I would ever harm him. This is good, and is true of course.

So far, the training I have done with him, which has been very minimal, has consisted entirely of making it impossible for him not to do what I ask him to do, and then rewarding the behavior by letting him do what he wants. I think he is ready now for me to do more one-on-one interaction with him, and I will try some clicker training on him for sit and stay and down.

Kelso is a delight. Anyone who saw him the way he is with me would want him, but no one sees it but me. He cannot be adopted yet, because no one wants a dog who won't look at them or take food from them. I am a failure at getting him out to get socialization because of my living location and its distance from everything and my poor finances which make it impossible for me to drive him regularly to see other dogs and people. I keep wondering if I should send him to a different foster home where he will get more socialized. But I fear that if I do, he will first have to go through the setback of being in a totally new and scary environment and I hate to do that to him. So for now he stays. I keep hoping that somehow something will come along to make it more possible for him to learn to accept other people. He seems so happy here that I wonder if it would be mean of me to send him elsewhere. It's the same debate I have had with myself about him for months now. Still don't know the answer.......
D'Elle

D'Elle

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#260 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

I am so happy to hear how well he is doing with *you*. I also am thrilled to read (maybe "read into") your comments that maybe he will just be a foster failure (which is never a real failure) and stay with you. If he is ready to go somewhere else someday, and that's best for all concerned, fine. But if he is not able, and you can keep him and want to keep him, I know I will be pleased to hear it.

All the very best to you both!

Celt, Megan, and Dan

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.