Photo

Whistle Panic

25 replies to this topic

#21 Shoofly

Shoofly

• Registered Users
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

Making things harder will certainly help but i was really thinking about your whistle panic. Instead of trying to avoid the panic, embrace it and practice with your mind racing so your whistles do too, to an extent. Get your dog used to the idea that sometimes you get a little excited.
-- Robin French
Shoofly Farm, Oxford NC

#22 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

Robin,

I had a similar idea with verbal commands - instead of trying to be calm when practicing away from home (since I don't trial yet) I try to yell more when I am perfectly calm at home to get the dog used to the fact that yelling does not always mean I am freaking out :lol: . Then I make sure I show the dog I am really happy with her performance, so again - she may get the idea that yelling is sometimes good. I don't think I can always fool her, but I think it helps.

Maja

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#23 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I know a few handlers who choose 'coffee like drinks '(Kuluia and cream, white Russians look like coffee) to calm their nerves before a run

Isnīt that "doping" :lol:

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#24 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,638 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Making things harder will certainly help but i was really thinking about your whistle panic. Instead of trying to avoid the panic, embrace it and practice with your mind racing so your whistles do too, to an extent. Get your dog used to the idea that sometimes you get a little excited.

I like that idea, Robin! I'm trying to turn it every-which-way in my mind, examining it until (hopefully) it loses its scariness. Kind of like repeating a word aloud until it ceases to have meaning. :P

I'll look for opportunities do all that, embrace anxiety and turn it calm under less than calm circumstances.

I had a good chance the other day, when I helped a friend haul her 5 Scotties to be shorn at a neighbor's farm. Her ram escaped after shearing (someone left a gate open) and it took off through a small-town neighborhood. Nick and I had to run out there and take command of the situation, before the folks "helping" scared the poor ram beyond recovery. It was pretty darned nerve-wracking to have a ram galloping through urban streets just a couple blocks from US 95, but we hazed the poor rascal back in. I was focusing verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry hard on staying calm so Nick wouldn't lose his mind. Not sure how well we did, but McGregor the ram is safe home, anyhow. ;)

~ Gloria
You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#25 ItsADogsLyfe

ItsADogsLyfe

• Registered Users
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:working my dogs

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

When I am under stress,or nervous, I tend to ramble on like talking will help. If I am at a trial or working in front of someone who is a top caliber handler, I ramble on and on only I am whistling. I don't know why my dogs are confused!
Joan "There's no normal life, there's just life" Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday
Seth, Meg, Mike, Reign & Crue

http://itsadogslyfe.blogspot.com/

#26 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,638 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:20 AM

LOL, see, if I get truly nervous, I shut up for fear of looking like an idiot! Thus whistle panic seems weirdly appropriate for me ...

Happy to say I had NO sign of whistle panic (or any other kind of panic) at Sonoma this past weekend! No placing, but I was really happy with the run Nick and I turned in under tough circumstances. So, hopefully I've put that particular glitch behind me. :) *crosses fingers*

~ Gloria
You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, Đ2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.