• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife, horses, sheep farming, sled dogs, falconry

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, my friends, I write these because you wish to hear them, and my dogs and this work inspires it.

But...Oh My Gunny and Cap.

Retiring them is hard. Not so much on my Cap he is getting to be content to sleep on the arm chair next to my wood stove. I am have a bell to put on him when he goes out with me. He has ID on his little collar.
He can't hear....he sometimes gets confused as to where he is.

But Gunny, she will find this hard. I give her little jobs that are easy on her hips. (I guess.) She gets deramaxx

Taw and Sweep are learning their work. Sweep's next trial is nc Open and a pro/novice run
We hsve been trialing a year now.

I never would have except for what Gunny and Cap taught me, as well as my handler friends. Including you..guys

#22 G. Festerling

G. Festerling

• Registered Users
  • 2,263 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that involves horses and dogs.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

Funny how a seemingly simple question is anything but.
To me a Border Collie is a breed of dog. Originally defined/selected and I suppose, one could even say created, for it's ability to work effectively to assist his handler.
Charming in the fact that there is no breedstandard as far as appearances as so eloquently stated earlier. And loved by so many for its working skills and unique abilities.

Question. The ISDS is only Border Collies?
Question two. If so, is a "true" Border Collie then only a dog that can be tracked via registered bloodlines and everything else "simply" (yes nothing simple about it I know) is a Sheepdog (with possible Border Collie bloodlines) that is selected by ability?
Posted Image
Blimpie, Belle and Thor! Nothing but trouble!
Good thing that I thrive on trouble!

#23 brady's mom

brady's mom

• Registered Users
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to say how much I respect you all for keeping the border collie everything that it is--I was patronized by a conformation collie owner the other day and had to really bite my tongue. She was about the most ignorant person I could every imagine, and when I countered with some of the arguments you all post here on the boards all she could do was continue to blabber about how her dogs were intelligent AND to standard, and they worked livestock too (poor sheep. ]: )!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really respect all of you guys for it. Thank you for being such great teachers and role models, honestly. You learn a lot from this community just by sifting through all the different posts and threads.

Thanks again.
Kristi -- the naive border collie student [br]
Brady -- the king of the loveseat and master of all things tennis ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.