Swafford at it again ...

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 jdarling

jdarling

• Registered Users
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

I was browsing Puppyfind ... and noticed a familiar sort of listing.

Just the puppy's name. "Freckles M1" <--- I recognized the style.

The breeder information:

Alice Andersen
Telephone: 615-630-8561

The ad says these particular pups worth $200 and then says: "50 more with papers BLACKS 250 EA, LILAC MERLES,
GIRLS 350 AND BLUE MERLES BOYS 300 EA DEPOSIT OF $150 WILL HOLD! BOTH PARENTS HAVE TWO BLUE EYES COMPARE WITH HIGHER PRICED PUPS, PEDIGREE IS ALSO AVAILABLE YOUR PUP WILL BE THE TALK OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD HAVE A BLESSED LORDS DAY CKC Registered"

Pretty familiar, no?

If that wasn't enough, I clicked to see all listings by that breeder and found 19 PUPPIES.

All pretty circumstantial, eh? That's what I thought. Even though the photos are taken in a pretty familiar style also.

So I googled the phone number.

Came up with a link to a Craigslist listing. Here is the text, because I'm sure the ad will be deleted at some point.

1999 Dodge Caravan - $1800 (Portland)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-08-20, 12:35AM CDT
Reply to: sale-etaw6-1908782360@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Automatic. Good tires. Avg 26 mpg. Professionally rebuilt transmission. Please contact Richard, 615-325-9144 or 615-630-8561

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

(photos intentionally omitted.)

So you google the other number listed and this is what you find:

Phonebook results for 615-325-9144
R Swafford (615) 325-9144 Portland, TN 37148-0000
Richard Swafford (615) 325-9144 243 N Centerpoint Rd, Portland, TN 37148-4864

#2 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 11,064 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

My guess is that he's always been at it - all those "associates", you know?
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#3 Jack & Co.

Jack & Co.

Mayberry, NC

• Registered Users
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

http://www.wkrn.com/....asp?s=11200984

This article from around the time of the seizures says he is facing animal cruelty charges; hopefully that wasn't just a slap on the wrist. Why wouldn't someone (besides Jodi) locally still have their eye on him?
To err is human, to forgive, canine.

#4 NCStarkey

NCStarkey

Just a few shovelfuls short of a full load

• Registered Users
  • 657 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, Sheepdog Trials, and Bluefaced Leicester sheep

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

Hello everyone,

In the PuppyFinder listings, there is an adult female listed. In her listing, it says:

..."Jess is a beautiful pricked earred
black and white medium coat female imported from
the UK. She has two litters of awesome pups by our
friend's Imported Ben, son of World Champion
##Bob"...

Geee...what a surprise that Ben belongs to Mary Ann Harrison.

Regards to all,
nancy
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Author Unknown

Posted Image

Nancy Cox Starkey
Trial & Error Acres
Mt. Airy, Maryland
NCStarkey@aol.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.blogspot.com

#5 aljones

aljones

• Registered Users
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

Ugh. Although I am not surprised, I am really aggravated to learn this news.

After my initial euphoria over his bust, I was extremely disappointed with several things about how the Swafford situation was handled. One of those was the light sentence he received and the fact that he was allowed a handful of "personal dogs" back (I want to say 4, but don't quote me--I'd have to check sources). According to an employee I talked with quite a bit at one of the animal controls holding the seized dogs (when I was evaluating the dogs for rescues), Swafford was allowed to pick up those personal dogs directly from the facility. The facility had no s/n clinic, so I drew my own conclusions about what that meant.

Angie
Spirit (BC/pyr), Huckleberry (beagle), Ringo (ACD), & Oso (BCx)
in memory: William, Kate, Johnson, Odysseus, & Mildred

#6 PSmitty

PSmitty

Socially awkward nonsense babbler

• Registered Users
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

If he was court-ordered not to breed or sell any more dogs, is there an agency that this can be reported to?
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex & Will

#7 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Any chance you might pass this information on to WKRN or other media that covered the story last fall, Jodi? Something along the lines of "Despite animal cruelty charges, puppy miller at it again?"

Some of the comments posted to the WKRN story were so vivid and sad. Jodi's internet searches didn't require privacy invasion, court orders, high technology equipment, or posses of policemen and AC folk. Just someone to be interested, clever, and a bit persistent. The kind of things I wish our taxes paid our public servants to be.

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#8 jdarling

jdarling

• Registered Users
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

Jan,

Here's the email I sent to all of the reporters listed HERE. Let me know if there's somewhere else I should send this. I'm happy to forward it.

Jodi

SUBJECT: FOLLOW-UP ON PUPPYMILL STORY

Good morning, everyone.

Last year, WKRN did a story on Richard Swafford, a puppymill in Portland, Tennessee.

ARTICLE

Unfortunately, despite animal cruelty charges, it seems Mr. Swafford is back to breeding Border Collies and selling them on Puppyfind. I've posted the details of my findings on the Border Collie Boards found here: LINK

The stories from the people who rescued some of the dogs from the last go-round with Mr. Swafford are enough to make anyone cry. I am happy to pass this information along to everyone and anyone I can in order to get some help for these dogs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.
(name & contact information)

#9 Jack & Co.

Jack & Co.

Mayberry, NC

• Registered Users
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

In the WKRN report, RS says "I just wanted to give back to Border Collies".

Whoa. Almost lost my coffee there!
To err is human, to forgive, canine.

#10 WWBC

WWBC

• Registered Users
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

My guess is Richard has covered any "connection" to the folks advertising puppies and I'd bet his "name" is not on any paperwork having to do with any breeding or puppies............that would be part of his past behaviour also......he isn't going to change his spots and will continue to just do as he always has, with few if any penalties..........I'm sure he was back in business before the dogs that were taken from him had made it to safety. I'm not sure how he can truly be stopped.......He should certainly not be allowed to own or have possesion of any animals............but chances of that are slim to none and slim just left town. :rolleyes:

#11 MaryP

MaryP

• Registered Users
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

Jodi, you should send this info to the Sumner County ACO, Sumner County Sheriff's office, and the Sumner County District Attorny. Hopefully, someone will investigate this. He is violating his court order.
Mary, Milo, Charlie, Skittles, & Ollie
Posted Image

#12 Kelliwic Border Collies

Kelliwic Border Collies

• Registered Users
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

The ad says these particular pups worth $200 and then says: <snip> CKC Registered

I wonder what registry CKC was willing to recognize to register these pups. And aren't they supposed to be CBCA registered? Or does the "one registry" law only apply to Canadian resident breeders? Or has he been dual-registering in Canada all along?

Megan Q.

Dare_fetch_sigfile.jpg.

www.kelliwic.com

#13 PSmitty

PSmitty

Socially awkward nonsense babbler

• Registered Users
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

Megan, CKC=Continental Kennel Club. A registry that means absolutely nothing, I believe it even "registers" mixed breeds, like Goldendoodles and such. So, that way people have "papers" to go with their BYB, puppymill dogs. :rolleyes: :D
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex & Will

#14 NCStarkey

NCStarkey

Just a few shovelfuls short of a full load

• Registered Users
  • 657 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, Sheepdog Trials, and Bluefaced Leicester sheep

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Megan,

I think that the CKC is the Continental Kennel Club, and it seems that they will "register" just about anything that barks.

nancy
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Author Unknown

Posted Image

Nancy Cox Starkey
Trial & Error Acres
Mt. Airy, Maryland
NCStarkey@aol.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.blogspot.com

#15 Kelliwic Border Collies

Kelliwic Border Collies

• Registered Users
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Megan, CKC=Continental Kennel Club. A registry that means absolutely nothing, I believe it even "registers" mixed breeds, like Goldendoodles and such. So, that way people have "papers" to go with their BYB, puppymill dogs. :rolleyes: :D

Oh, thanks, I was thinking Canadian Kennel Club.

Megan Q.

Dare_fetch_sigfile.jpg.

www.kelliwic.com

#16 Dal & Mad's Mom

Dal & Mad's Mom

• Registered Users
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Oh, thanks, I was thinking Canadian Kennel Club.

I passed this info along to parties. Our dogs although great dogs were in pitiful condition and as you saw me post recently, one dog was so damaged that it took almost a year for her to be ready to move to an experienced person. She is a mess still. luckily she found a person who was willing to devote the time necessary to rehabilitate her fully.

Angela Jones can tell you that a year ago gypsy was a total mess mentally
Sheryl
BC Dally and Maddie
Rescued mixes Genie and Sugar
Friends Of Pep Bc rescue
http://www.petfinder...ters/PA532.html
Email Friendsofpep@aol.com

#17 aljones

aljones

• Registered Users
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Any chance you might pass this information on to WKRN or other media that covered the story last fall, Jodi? Something along the lines of "Despite animal cruelty charges, puppy miller at it again?"

I PM'd Jodi before I came to work this morning, but I might as well let other folks know, too, that I emailed WSMV, a Nashville TV station that covered the bust last year with a link to one of its stories and a link to Jodi's blog. I'm in meetings most of the day (which really cuts into my dog time!) but wanted at least to get one contact out there ASAP.

I can also reach out to the Sumner Co. authorities when I get home tonight. I hope they will be able to follow up on the situation soon.

In the WKRN report, RS says "I just wanted to give back to Border Collies".

This is actually one of the things I find particularly unsettling about Swafford: I think he really believes he is a friend to border collies. How his brain can allow him to entertain that thought is beyond my comprehension, but he seems quite convinced of it.

ETA: For anyone who is new or who needs a visual reminder of just how Swafford "gave back to Border Collies," here is a thread I started last Sept. for fifteen of the dogs he surrendered after the initial bust, dogs who arrived at my local humane society a couple of days later. They were fortunate enough all to be rescued (many by people on this board, who mobilized quickly and generously on their behalf): Swafford's surrendered dogs at BGWCHS.

Angie
Spirit (BC/pyr), Huckleberry (beagle), Ringo (ACD), & Oso (BCx)
in memory: William, Kate, Johnson, Odysseus, & Mildred

#18 bskeeter

bskeeter

• Registered Users
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Herding, agility, photography.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

All this just makes me sick - that it's all happening again.... :rolleyes: When we got the rescues dogs from Swafford's, it took months and months and months before we could even think about placing them in new homes. The dogs where totally clueless about a "normal" dog's life.

Sheryl, I understand what you are saying about the dogs being messed up and in pitiful condition for sure.
Debbie, Mom of
BJ - CGC, Belle - CGC, and Bailey

Posted Image
SandyPaws Blogspot

#19 MaryP

MaryP

• Registered Users
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

We still have a Swafford dog in rescue. She has made a lot of progress, especially lately, but she will always be a dog with "issues." She is available for adoption, but project dogs are not usually what folks are looking for in an adopted dog. So, she gets overlooked time and time again.
Mary, Milo, Charlie, Skittles, & Ollie
Posted Image

#20 phej

phej

• Registered Users
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

NEBCR has contacted the HSUS officer who was initially dealing with the case. She responded by saying they are 'working on it'. So hopefully something is happening.
Petra
with Mollie and Murphy
fostering Ted

New England Border Collie Rescue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.