BC Boards

What to feed a dog recovering from Parvo?

gypsy84

This weekend I'm looking after a dog that has been sick with Parvo for the past week. He has just recently started eating again, and still has a bit of diarrhea. He isn't interested in dog food, but will take chicken & bread (from the lunches of the vet clinic staff). What would be the best thing to feed him that might also help settle his stomach?

Lean meat (chicken breast no skin, lean ground beef with the fat drained, etc) plus a carbohydrate source (white rice, pasta, etc) is just fine for the weekend. It's not ok long term, but for now you just want some easy to digest calories.

You can boil the ground beef, then drain the water (and save for the healthy dogs at your house!), that will get the fat off easily. Over cook the rice or noodles, my vet recommends that for recovering tummies.

Gotta say it again, Leo is adorable. I hope he does well this weekend.

Ruth

Thanks, both of you. I was thinking of chicken/rice but I'll get some pasta and ground beef too. Gypsy and Korby will be happy with some ground beef flavoured water over their dinner tonight!

I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up too high because he is still a very sick pup, but I'm definitely falling for him. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Archived