BC Boards

Revolution

PENNSTER

Can anyone tell me if they have used Revolution for possible mites? I'm a little scared to use it, if it is anyone related to intermectin?

They are not even sure if my Border has mites they are only guessing and feel she should take Benadryl and Revolution just in case it is mites.

Please if anyone has any experience with this drug let me know your thoughts??

Can anyone tell me if they have used Revolution for possible mites? I'm a little scared to use it, if it is anyone related to intermectin?

They are not even sure if my Border has mites they are only guessing and feel she should take Benadryl and Revolution just in case it is mites.

Please if anyone has any experience with this drug let me know your thoughts??

What kind of mites? Different kinds need different things.

I think they said it maybe could be Sarcoptic mange mite?

I took her to the vet because she is itching so badly and she had tiny pink spots on her belly, they said it is possible she has mites but they are not sure. I have started to give her the Benadryl to see if it eases the itching before I give her the Revolution. I have 3 other dogs in my household 3 of the 4 are mine plus I have a foster dog all of these are Border collies, none are showing the symptoms of itching at all yet, the vet wants all of them on the Revolution just in case it is mites

I did have a friend over with a foster dog that came over from the states and the vet is wondering if maybe that this foster had mites. I know that the dog has round worm, hookworm and giardia which I just found out this week so it is possible that the dog also has mites?? But the dog was in my house for about 30 minutes, although they weren't playing together, but in the same room.

My dog is also epileptic so I am overly careful if I give her anything different, especially medication, but I would feel alot better if I knew revolution is safe for a Border before I give it to any of my dogs.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone ever use rotenone powder for all the skin bugs? I have used it in the past for ONE flea infestation of my property, for a horse with lice that I got at an auction, and for 2 saparate cases of demodex. It is external, does not get into the organs to cause allergies etc, and the powder can stay on the bedding for further insurance. It is natural ground derris roots, and no chemical reactions seem to occur. I have used this on the first sheep I ever had - they had keds. I have even put it under cushions to help prevent a problem. PS that horse lasted til she was 34 years old. A great endurance rider and protector of the sheep.

It seems you really have three questions: the first is "how is sarcoptic mange spread"; a second is whether Revolution is safe for any Border collie, and the third is whether Revolution is safe to administer to an epileptic dog. I'm not a vet, but from my recent research into (demodectic) mange, it seems the first two questions are a lot easier to answer than the third question, which is probably something best discussed between you and your vet.

Here's a website that provides some useful information about sarcoptic mange, how it's spread, and how to treat it: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

I will note that elsewhere on this website (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html ) it's suggested (via a photo) that Border collies are sensitive to avermectins/ivermectins. It's unfortunate that they're perpetuating this misconception, as a link they provide to a Washington State website (http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/breeds.aspx ) indicates that the incidence of the mutation that confers sensitivity to ivermectin/avermectin is not prevalent in Border collies. This list from the Washington State website may be worth printing out and showing to your vet, as many vets mistakenly believe that Border collies are sensitive to ivermectin and may, instead, prescribe treatments that are less safe or less effective.

A caveat: the mutation is not prevalent in purebred Border collies. It could appear in Border collie/Aussie crosses, for example, as the mutation is relatively common in Aussies. It is possible to conduct a test to see whether any particular dog is sensitive to ivermectin.

The marvistavet website seems to indicate that Revolution, even though it's an ivermectin derivative, is safe for ivermectin-sensitive dogs for treatment of sarcoptic mange.

For more on the topic of ivermectins and Border collies, visit the "pinned" topic at the top of this Health and Genetics section on "Which Heartworm Preventative is Safe for my Border Collie" : http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=4966 . In reading through this material, I didn't see anything that indicated that Revolution would be unsafe at normal therapeutic doses (for heartworm prevention, that is) for healthy purebred Border collies - or even for susceptible breeds. The epilepsy question may be a whole 'nother issue, though.

Hopefully this will provide you with the information you need for informed discussions with your vet of questions as to whether the higher dose (relative to heartworm prevention) of Revolution is safe for all of your dogs, especially given your concerns over your one dog's epilepsy.

And best of luck!

On rotenone (and other insecticides): yikes, please don't make the mistake of believing that just because something can be extracted from nature doesn't mean it won't have toxic side effects! The history of pesticides is full of examples of natural products that were formerly used but proved highly toxic.

In particular: rotenone has been phased out in the United States and in Canada alike for all uses except as a piscicide (fish-killing chemical; it's highly toxic to fish, and is used to wipe out undesirable species of fish). See http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/reregistration...otenone_red.pdf for more information. In other words, it's no longer approved for use on domestic pets or livestock.

Thankyou so much for the websites, the one on sarcoptic mange was just great! Your right about the first 2 questions the answers are there. As for the third one in regards to the effect on seizures is another one that really can't be answered until we try it. My vet doesn't know for sure but none of us epi owners do either. We live with this everyday hoping and praying that we will make it one more day without the seizure.

Thanks again for your help!