• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 KathyF

KathyF

• Registered Users
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Herding, Border Collies, Trialing, training dogs, sheep

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

I am not happy to find out this morning that someone right here in Minnesota is breeding border-doodles. I find this horrible in the first place and then I found out that she is charging $2000 per puppy! I am at a loss for words.

Kathy

#2 desertranger

desertranger

Everything in the desert stick, stinks, bites or stings.

• Registered Users
  • 1,606 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, rock climbing, flying, sailing, camping, hiking, Ham radio. Write about the desert in Sunrunner magazine and teach outdoor skill classes.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

I'm stunned, seriously. What do they look like and can we shoot people like that?
Together we, Ranger and Jin.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Visit me at:
Desert Bandanna - Nature and Survival guide.
The O'blogitory

#3 KathyF

KathyF

• Registered Users
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Herding, Border Collies, Trialing, training dogs, sheep

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

I saw some pictures of some on another web site. To me they just look like mutt puppies.

Kathy

#4 Lewie'sMom

Lewie'sMom

Assimilated into BC collective 08/08/07; designation: 1 of 4

• Registered Users
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:dogs (of course!), God, singing, piano, (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Well, that's what desiger breeds are; mixes.

Anybody who would pay so much $$ for a mixed breed, regardless of what it's called, needs to be educated.
Patty

A tired dog is a good dog!

"Dogs' lives are too short...their only fault, really."
A.S. Turnbull

"My mantra is "it's never the dog's fault." If my dog has failed, it is because I set him up to fail:..."
Ninso 12/10/08

#5 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Let's see...

average 6 pups per litter x $2,000 = $12,000
average 2 litters per year = $24,000 per bitch per year

Remind me, why am I working when I could be making more money ripping off suckers?

:rolleyes:

Posted Image
Dangerous Dreams Farm

#6 JohnLloydJones

JohnLloydJones

• Registered Users
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

average 6 pups per litter x $2,000 = $12,000
average 2 litters per year = $24,000 per bitch per year

Not quite. The candy colours were $2000, boring old b/w were only $1250. Still a lot money for a mongrel.

#7 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

Not quite. The candy colours were $2000, boring old b/w were only $1250. Still a lot money for a mongrel.

Yeah, but I see regular colored Golden Doodles selling for up to $3000. Just depends on how much money you want to milk from the suckers. Heck, I could even get myself a homozygous merle stud and have entire litters of merle pups. Doesn't matter if he is blind and deaf as long as he can produce puppies.

While I was being sarcastic, I have heard of Collie breeders with purposefully produced homozygous merles (their web pages are sad/scary). Their sole purpose was to sire litters with 100% merle pups. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Dangerous Dreams Farm

#8 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

A woman here in Kansas City is getting $3500 for her labradoodles. Two litters ayear and she could live on that.

#9 MaggieDog

MaggieDog

• Registered Users
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:dogs (behavior, training, you name it), hiking/the outdoors, reading, rollerblading

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

I've had a borderdoodle come to a playgroup - he looks like any other poodle cross and acts very unlike a BC - if they hadn't told me what he was, I'd have assumed he was a labradoodle or maybe lab/terrier since his coat was wirey.
Erin
Ziva: 4 yo Corgi mix, agility dog!
Kestrel: 2 yo Cattle Dog (mix?), schutzhund and agility dog in training
Aerten: Malinois puppy, schutzhund dog in training

Maggie Mae, always in our hearts <3

Posted Image

"To me, every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle." - Walt Whitman

#10 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

I've had a borderdoodle come to a playgroup - he looks like any other poodle cross and acts very unlike a BC - if they hadn't told me what he was, I'd have assumed he was a labradoodle or maybe lab/terrier since his coat was wirey.

The few Border Doodles I have met look like PWDs. Personality wise they were more poodle like.

Posted Image
Dangerous Dreams Farm

#11 desertranger

desertranger

• Registered Users
  • 1,606 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, rock climbing, flying, sailing, camping, hiking, Ham radio. Write about the desert in Sunrunner magazine and teach outdoor skill classes.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Couldn't find a picture but did fined a Bordernese Posted Image

Visit me at:
The O'blogitory

#12 JaderBug

JaderBug

Uff da!

• Registered Users
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The tall one is the "Bordoodle"

:rolleyes::(:D:(

ETA:

And along the lines of Doodles, the weirdest looking Labradoodle (dog??) I've ever seen:

Posted Image

6173515141_99d8e158f0_z.jpg
Rachel, Rocko, Sasha, Jade, and Pepper
Flickr Photostream JaderBug Photography
"All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
"It is from that time that the incurable disease known as 'Sheepdog Trialling' really began to get a hold on me
and it has continued in its acute form ever since." -H. Glyn Jones

#13 sea4th

sea4th

• Registered Users
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

First two aren't bad. The last two look like they've been hit with an ugly stick. All are bad if they were sold for thousands of $$.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The tall one is the "Bordoodle"

:rolleyes::(:D:(

ETA:

And along the lines of Doodles, the weirdest looking Labradoodle (dog??) I've ever seen:

Posted Image

Vicki
"For the Love of Pete"
Think Dog

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise"

Our Dogs Past & Present:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/18267

#14 Anda

Anda

One of a kind! :)

• Registered Users
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

Want some ugly doddle? I give you Tanguay - a gigantic gray goldendoodle with a nasty personality

Posted Image

This thing is HUGE - it makes Ouzo wonder if it's a bear cub or what?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

He is the strangest looking doodle I've ever seen. Have I mentioned he's got a nasty personality when it comes to other dogs, too?

#15 JohnLloydJones

JohnLloydJones

• Registered Users
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

He is the strangest looking doodle I've ever seen. Have I mentioned he's got a nasty personality when it comes to other dogs, too?

I don't know if it is inherent in -doodle mixes or due to the cluelessness of people who buy (but never train) them, but almost all -doodles I have met are socially inept or just plain nasty.

#16 JaderBug

JaderBug

Uff da!

• Registered Users
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

The labradoodle I posted is not only poorly behaved but has one of the most annoying owners ever. At the dog park, she was asking this guy that she'd never met to throw the ball for her dog.

Generally, I don't like doodles (specifically labradoodles, but maybe that's because of my EXTREME dislike of labs) but I met a golden doodle once that was just a wonderful dog, had a very sweet personality and very well behaved.

6173515141_99d8e158f0_z.jpg
Rachel, Rocko, Sasha, Jade, and Pepper
Flickr Photostream JaderBug Photography
"All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
"It is from that time that the incurable disease known as 'Sheepdog Trialling' really began to get a hold on me
and it has continued in its acute form ever since." -H. Glyn Jones

#17 MrRipley

MrRipley

• Registered Users
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

DR, the reason you couldn't find any photos, is because the "correct" name for this mix is a BORDOODLE, not a borderdoodle.

I can't think of one "doodle" that I have met and liked. They have all been big obnoxious oafs. I am SURE it's because most of the type of people who would BUY a doodle, are NOT the type of people interested in teaching their dogs good manners. Doodles are "hypoallergenic" -- doesn't that mean they also come pre-trained? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't really think most doodle mixes are very cute, but I am not really a fan of dogs with long fur on their muzzles. Out of the borderdoodles pictured above, the one that is marked like a border collie is pretty cute though. I have a friend with a BC who has a curly coat, we tease him and call him a borderdoodle!
Heather
ADCH-LAA-Bronze Ripley SACH-Gold TM-Gold (rescued border collie)
& Sadie (sheltie/border collie mix)

#18 Tranquilis

Tranquilis

Walks Amongst Dogs

• Registered Users
  • 1,504 posts
  • Interests:Eclectic. You name it, I've likely been interested in it at one point or another...

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

I've met exactly one 'doodle' of any type, and he was not an unreasonable dog - well behaved and polite, from what I observed. Of course, he was running with a young-ish couple whom seem to have an abundance of energy and smarts, so he may've simply been well-trained and socialized.

When 'doodles' of any type are going for more $$ than well-bred and genuinely rare pure-breds with proven backgrounds, good dispositions, and the lifetime support of their breeder... Something has gone seriously wrong with the general puppy-buying public.
If everything's coming your way, you're likely in the wrong lane.
-------
Suka's Place

Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue (MABCR)
MABCR Blog

#19 desertranger

desertranger

• Registered Users
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

OK Found a pic. Posted Image

"This is a Bordoodle" sez you cringing.

"Find me the original breeder of these dogs", sez I, sharpening knives.

I've seen labradoodles. I don't like them and I don't like they way they feel. Now a BC with poodles coat, disgusting. Who would want to take care of that coat, it looks like a nightmare.

So if we cross a poodle with a bear do we get a pooh bear?

Visit me at:
The O'blogitory

#20 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts
  • Interests:working sheepdogs, agility, behavior and training, rescue

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

Some years back a PWD breeder I knew through rec.pets.dogs (some of you may, vaguely, remember Usenet) had an "oops" litter that was sired while she was caring for a friend's intact male Border Collie. By certain standards it was actually a pretty good breeding -- the Border Collie was a high-level obedience dog (show/obedience breeding) and the PWD was an agility dog and show champion. The pups went mostly to sport homes and many years later I randomly met one at an agility match. He looked exactly like a working Beardie, which I suppose will only mean something to those of you who have seen working Beardies, which I bet is not many.

As for retriever/Poodle crosses, they're not my type of dog but I understand exactly why they exist. It isn't because they turn out cute, because they don't -- they usually just look like really, really ugly Poodles. And most of the people who buy them would be better off with Poodles, which is something I don't say lightly because I literally have never met a Standard Poodle that I liked. (They are pushy, horrible, obnoxious dogs with five foot vertical leaps.)

But the thing is, Poodles are considered feminine, and foofy, and uncool, and kind of Euro, and just not very manly. So, you add a little bit of nice, sweaty, armpit-scratching, manly, ball-playing Lab or Golden, and voila -- you now have a socially acceptable dog that a man can walk without feeling like he needs to wear a beret and carry a long loaf of bread. Basically, as far as I can tell, the driving force behind the market for -doodles is the fact that so many men out there are simply not secure in their own masculinity.

But whatever. I don't know that breeding -doodles is any worse than any other kind of shitty misbreeding.
Melanie, Solo the Red, Superfly, and Jett Girl
My homepage
My photos on Flickr
Canine Behavioral Genetics Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.