BC Boards

Border Collie Genetically Closest To The Wolf?

esox

I remember reading somewhere that the Border Collie is closest genetically to the wolf. I was curious if anyone here had heard that and is it true? I googled the concept and found some information.

Several sites I looked at had classified ancient dogs into 3 classes; Asian/Herding, Hunting, and Mastiff. The Border Collie was listed in the Hunting? Does anyone know why?

Thanks,

Esox & Alex

Sheep are tasty? It's logical if you look at the way wolves and BCs work expecially i a group.

I am not sure about genetic similarities, but you might be interested to know that, according to Wikipedia, the Siberian Huskey is noted among dog breeds for exhibiting wolf-like behaviors.

The Siberian Husky has been described as a behavioral representative of the domestic dog's forebearer, the wolf, exhibiting a wide range of its ancestors' behavior.[6] They are known to howl rather than bark.[7] Hyperactivity displaying as an overactive hunting drive, a characteristic of kenneled dogs, is often noticeable in dogs released from their captive environment for exercise - a behavior welcome in hunting dogs but not in the family pet.

Link

On the other hand, most of the border collie literature mentions that when dogs herd they are essentially displaying hunting behavior without going in for the kill.

Also, according to the Wikipedia article on wolves, the domestication of dogs resulted in a diminishment of intelligence:

Compared to equally sized wolves, dogs tend to have 10% smaller brains. As the brains of domestic dogs are smaller than those of wolves, they require fewer calories to survive. The dog's diet of human refuse in antiquity made the large brains and jaw muscles needed for hunting unnecessary.

So if intelligence, together with hunting/herding behaviors, is considered a wolf-like characteristic, then the BC may well be a contender.