BC Boards

What is the average cost of herding lessons?

When Bandit is old enough I would really like to start training him to herd, and compete in trials. At five and a half months he already enjoys herding the chickens-in a wild, nutty puppy way of course. The goats are still a little to intimidating to him, but if they run away from him he gets "eye." So I think he has decent enough instincts to make training worthwhile. Plus I just know it'll be a blast for both of us. I know he is way to young to start lessons now, but I like to be prepared. My questions are: How much do herding lessons cost on average? Where can I find an instructor(I live in North Central Florida? How old should Bandit be before he starts herding lessons? I've looked up training tips for self-training your dog, but as I am so inexperienced in the herding-dog atmosphere I really would like a professional stock/sheepdog trainer to help me.

You are absolutely right that you and Bandit would be best off getting quality training from someone who really knows what they are doing.

I personally would not allow Bandit to interact with the chickens (or any other animals) at this point in time, since you do not know what is suitable for him to be attempting to do. Laying a good foundation is, in my admittedly novice (I think I will be a novice forever) opinion and allowing any bad habits to develop now will be a serious issue to deal with later.

Let him be a pup and do pup things - building a bond with you; exploring and socializing; learning his basic obedience and manners; and so on. Some trainers and clinicians agree that the basic things a youngster needs to know before going to stock are his name, a solid recall, and respect for you.

The age at which a youngster is really ready to start varies - a good trainer might give a young dog a few minutes just to see how he is progressing, and then not do it again for another month if he seems to need time, or might find that he is mature enough for short lessons. Generally, most youngsters are ready around a year of age but some can handle training pressure at a younger age and some need a bit more maturity. The males generally mature more slowly than the females but individuals vary in their readiness for training. It is a matter both of mental and physical maturity and ability to handle the pressure of training.

In general, I would say that lessons can run from about $25-$50 a half hour but there is a great deal of variability. Also, you may consider a good training clinic when Bandit is old enough (and, maybe better yet, take the opportunity to audit a good clinic yourself in the meantime - it's a great way to learn what to expect), and those tend to run about $150 or so for two days, to $250 or so for three days.

Prices are very variable and the quality of good training is not indicated by the price. Look for someone who is a successful Open handler in USBCHA trials, who has experience with successfully training multiple dogs, and who is a good teacher and communicator.

In general, but not always, avoid trainers who are training for AKC "herding" and "all breed trainers" (who often are the same). Some who are into AKC but also are USBCHA Open level handlers are excellent handlers and instructors. Many good Border Collie trainers will work very well with other breeds, but many "all breed" trainers are training strictly for the AKC clientele and competitions. There are very excellent instructors that do have "hobby" students and some of whose clientele are only interested in the kennel club venue - but I would avoid those that actively promote such goals and "titles" and competitions at AKC events.

I realize this is way more than you asked about and you may very well already have similar opinions.

Best wishes finding good instruction and experiencing the joys of good stockwork!

You are absolutely right that you and Bandit would be best off getting quality training from someone who really knows what they are doing.

I personally would not allow Bandit to interact with the chickens (or any other animals) at this point in time, since you do not know what is suitable for him to be attempting to do. Laying a good foundation is, in my admittedly novice (I think I will be a novice forever) opinion and allowing any bad habits to develop now will be a serious issue to deal with later.

Let him be a pup and do pup things - building a bond with you; exploring and socializing; learning his basic obedience and manners; and so on. Some trainers and clinicians agree that the basic things a youngster needs to know before going to stock are his name, a solid recall, and respect for you.

The age at which a youngster is really ready to start varies - a good trainer might give a young dog a few minutes just to see how he is progressing, and then not do it again for another month if he seems to need time, or might find that he is mature enough for short lessons. Generally, most youngsters are ready around a year of age but some can handle training pressure at a younger age and some need a bit more maturity. The males generally mature more slowly than the females but individuals vary in their readiness for training. It is a matter both of mental and physical maturity and ability to handle the pressure of training.

Great advice, especially about not letting Bandit interact with the chickens and goats right now.

I live in Florida and lessons with my trainer are $45 an hour.

• 2 weeks later...