BC Boards

Vomitting bile

Shadows Mom

Once again Shadow has started vomitting bile. This happens first thing in the morning, she throws up 4 or 5 times and then is fine. The vomit is just saliva and bile. She's not acting sick, she's still bouncing around and playing like normal. Her food hasn't changed, and neither has her water. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? The vet told me to give her 5cc pepto every night before bed, but I'd like to know why she is getting sick like this! Earlier this summer she had the same thing for about 3 weeks, then it went away. Wondering if I should ask my bordering neighbours if they've been spraying anything in their yards; she plays outside quite a bit.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

Once again Shadow has started vomitting bile. This happens first thing in the morning, she throws up 4 or 5 times and then is fine. The vomit is just saliva and bile. She's not acting sick, she's still bouncing around and playing like normal. Her food hasn't changed, and neither has her water. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? The vet told me to give her 5cc pepto every night before bed, but I'd like to know why she is getting sick like this! Earlier this summer she had the same thing for about 3 weeks, then it went away. Wondering if I should ask my bordering neighbours if they've been spraying anything in their yards; she plays outside quite a bit.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

Is this before she eats in the morning? Scooter used to do that, and our vet said it was usually from acid forming on an empty stomach--basically acid reflux. A little snack before bedtime seemed to help get him through the night till breakfast. Just our experience. Haven't had a problem with this since. HTH. :rolleyes:

This could be called something like Bilious Syndrome, doggie version of acid reflux.

I had a dog that did this a lot. It would come and go and we could not quite figure out the correlation between when it happened and when it didn't. We solved the problem by giving snacks at bedtime and during the day, we asked the dogwalker to give her a couple extra treats (she also had this problem before dinner).

My bc now did this a couple times so I pushed dinner time from 7pm to 8pm and that has made a difference for her.

Try moving dinner to later in the evening or giving a snack at bedtime.

So this is what happened to us with vomiting clear fluids and some bile....

Dew will chew anything. ANYTHING (except stuff in the house she knows not too) . She usually just chews and not eats. I noticed her trying to throw up but not really anything coming out for a few days. I worried that maybe she had irritated her throat with something she chewed on. One day shortly after that she started vomiting liquid. I had fed her breakfast and it didn't come up. She would go over and get a drink then come to me and throw up clear liquid. Went on all morning into the afternoon. Before that she wasn't acting sick and wasn't acting sick that day either. She did seem to be a bit freaked out that she was doing this, that's why I thought she was coming over to me. SO...I worried that she and an obstruction from something she chewed up. I watched her the rest of the day. I choose to feed her dinner, she was game, so I was hoping that maybe the food would push down what might have been stuck. No....after dinner she just threw up clear liquid no dinner. SO....I worried some more and went to bed figuring she'd be worse in the am and I'd have a reason to take her to the vet.

Through out the night I heard her trying to puke. When I got up I found some spots of clear liquid stuff but nothing really in it by where she sleeps. Then got to the couch and there was a huge pile of vomit....including some nasty tape worm segments on it. Thank doG for leather furniture!! Well that's it!! She's wormy. But then I noticed that Jazz one of the senior girls was trying to throw up too. That would explain why it was on the couch and not in my room. Dew sleeps next to my bed and Jazz sleeps on the couch.

SO I kept watching the rest of the day and by then she was still doing the same thing. I decided to worm all of them....I HATE WORMS!! Jazz in the mean time really didn't look or act sick and didn't puke anymore that day.

Needless to say, they were all tapewormy. Not so bad that they looked bad, no bad hair, no weight loss nothing that would tell me to check for worms. i use Ivermectin for heart worms so it doesn't do tapeworms.

After a 3 day course of wormings...Jazz got pretty sick. runny poo and generally looking pretty bad. The rest were all fine. I worried about the old girl and was really hesitant to worm again in 2 weeks cause she had just started to feel better. This is not the dog that started the whole puking fest but she was the one affected the most. So I skipped the 2 week repeat dose and within a month I watched Jazz puke some segments all over again.

So I had to worm again then once more 2 weeks later.

Long story short....have you checked for worms? Do you use a heartworm med. that would cover all worms? If not I suggest checking or just worming for good measure but please do the 2 week reworm cause if you don't you'll all be sorry!!

My 2 cents and btw we are worm free!!

Kristen

acid forming on an empty stomach--basically acid reflux
That's what I was thinking. I have acid reflux and poor Shadow sounds like me! Dairy does wonders for extra acid. Ceana does this every once and a while and i treat her stomach like I treat mine. :rolleyes: Try giving her some cottage cheese. It is good for the dog and feels good in the stomach.

I keep her on anti-worm and bug treatments year round.. they are SO icky!!

I too have acid reflux, I just never thought that she might too; I didn't know about the dairy thing tho (I'm lactose intolerant).. I should try that. She had her dinner ater than usual last night, and had a snack this morning, she seems fine. We'll see how she does in the next few days.

Thanks again!

The only bad "side effect" is you can't sleep in late!

Seriously, my 5yo Aussie did this as a young dog, and we figured out that if he had nothing in his stomach, he'd throw up yellow bile. We're pretty good about keeping him on a feeding schedule. - or, if we know we'll be late for a meal, even something like a doggie bisquit helps. He rarely does this anymore and hasn't seemed to suffer any side effects.

Apparently dad did switch their food, the store didn't have the Canidae they usually eat so he got them the lamb and rice one. He usually feeds them before I get home so I never knew about the change! She vomitted all over herself the other day when I was at school, I gave her some pepto bismol and fasted her for 24 hours. Got her back on the normal food and she seems fine now. He figured as long as it was the same brand it would be fine *facepalm* poor girl ost about 5 pounds last week... he better buy her a nice toy!

• 1 month later...